Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 16-18/07/2010 : BroCon

Options
  • 01-12-2009 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hey guys I'd just like to tell you about the new upcoming Convention being hosted by the University of Limerick Games Society and the University of Limerick Anime and Manga Society.

And here's a few details for you;

When? - July 16th-18th

Where? - EG-010 in The University of Limerick Main Building

What Events are there? - Below are some of the more major things we have planned but expect more to appear as time goes on.
    -RPGs
    -LARPs
    -Wargaming & Miniatures
    -CCGs
    -Anime Screenings
    -Cosplay
    -Console Gaming
    -LAN Lockin
    -Board Games
    -Drawing competitions
    -AMV Contests
    -Traders
    -Artists alley
    -Table Quiz

plus

SPECIAL GUESTS!

More events and competitions to be announced as well as more information on guests.

Keep up to date at http://brocon.skynet.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

If you don't attend; you're not a bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 razzlero

That was originally just the working title we had for the con because it sounds like broken... but after a lot of debating we just stuck with Brocon because nobody could decide on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

On behalf of Razzlero:
    I'm proud to officially announce one of our guests.

Francesca Dani who is a professional cosplayer and 2005 winner of the world cosplay summit will be visiting for the convention.

We have one other guest who is 90% definite but we still want to set it in stone before announing and a few people who we aren't sure about yet.

Also:
    Pre registration is now open!

You can pre-reg here, €15 for a weekend pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

Yaay!!
    :D
    can't wait, me and shane are deffo in!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mkvenner

O.O
    this sounds like fun!
    I cant wait either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

I haz a happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jdmma

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jdmma

jdmma wrote: »
    ok
    okk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

razzlero wrote: »
    That was originally just the working title we had for the con because it sounds like broken... but after a lot of debating we just stuck with Brocon because nobody could decide on anything else.
    The lads were telling me about it, I told em call it 'CuzCon' because it was in Limerick or 'Aboydacon' or 'Tackiescon'.
    I should be going and bringing my posse.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Sera wrote: »
    The lads were telling me about it, I told em call it 'CuzCon' because it was in Limerick or 'Aboydacon' or 'Tackiescon'.
    I should be going and bringing my posse.
    KnifeCon was a working title but was easily confused with 'NiceCon' :p

Shtall-on-a-minute-Con
    Wah??-Con
    Willy-O-Dea-Con

There had to be a winner :p It was BroCon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Nockz wrote: »
    KnifeCon was a working title but was easily confused with 'NiceCon' :p
    Shtall-on-a-minute-Con
    Could have said "Stabcon", Shtall-on-a-minute-Con is brilliant, I kept thinking about it all I could think of was "Giveuzoudafonecon" or "Bagagluecon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

hi hi!! whats the story with the artist alley??XD

If you're interested in having a spot in the artist's alley you can simply e-mail ulbrocon@gmail.com saying you're interested and possibly provide a link to examples of your work if possible (E.g. Deviantart)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

ookay thanks!!XD im a go do that now!!!XD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if only they do it in ucd too :( never UL is cooler than ucd :P

Just a slight update that we have (finally) organised the on-campus accommodation.
    It's the closest accommodation to the convention and will cost 30 euros a night.

The rooms we have are in Plassey Village and are houses of varying sizes (I''ll get you the details as soon as I have them).

If you're interested in staying in this accommodation you can e-mail ulbrocon@gmail.com and we can sort out payment methods from there.

Also if you would like to share a house with certain people you may book together in the one e-mail.

You can get a small bit more info on the accommodation at http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/plassey.htm

Make sure to book as soon as possible to make sure you get a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sethi

hi sir,
    can't wait, me and shane are deffo in!!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Will there be games tournaments? More so, will there be a BlazBlue tournament?

There will be games tournaments ^^

I can't remember which ones there are off the top of my head apart form smash bros melee and pokemon. I'll get back to you after I find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Well who here was at Brocon? I am just back from it and had a great time. Well done to the committee.:) Saturday was a great laugh. I was the Misato Katsuragi cosplayer (in the red skirt and red beret) and helped judge the cosplay masquerade. Nice cosplays and I really enjoyed Anna's manga panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Unsticking thread now that event is over. Feel free to keep chatting about it :)

Glad to hear it was enjoyable Butterscotch! Were there many cosplayers?

Hotaru wrote: »

Glad to hear it was enjoyable Butterscotch! Were there many cosplayers?

I think there were around 12 people who cosplayed. Very few people cosplayed on the Sunday because it was mostly gamer events. Nine cosplayers entered the masquarde and there was a very impressive Lightning cosplayer and two good Dragon Ball Z cosplayers. I will put up pictures when I get chance. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would've went but I was supposed to be planning for my trip to South America next week, but eh.... kinda ended up here all weekend :o Any pics?

I'm happy about how it went ^^

There were a load of photos taken. We just have to wait for them to be uploaded, but hopefully it won't take too long.

We're aloready getting excited about next year despite how tired we are after this year XD

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

As it was the first con I can't really blame people for not cosplaying. Those that did were great and had a laugh but I think once people realise that next year there will definitely be some more, that crowd mentality might set in.

I thought Francesca was a lovely guest. Sickened I missed her talk. I saw her in the pub during the auction and thought it was lovely of her to come over and enjoy herself.

I always had to have an open mind about this con. It was the first time many of the staff had run one before. As fun as it was I really have my sights set on next year's one. I think there are some seriously valuable lessons to be learned from this con and seemingly every other attendee who was part of a con committee (of which there were many) were all too helpful to give their tips and opinions.

I firmly believe that Brocon 2011 will be jam packed full of character. I don't think many people wil have much doubts this time next year as they see just how much it will improve.

I believe Brocon will become another fantastic part of the year like most cons before it.

I look forward to another pocket draining, merch filled, crazy stuffed, adrenaline injected, awesome convention in Brocon 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Excellent con.
    Had a blast.

If I had one criticism it would be that the anime rooms were too far off.
    Half the time I wasn't arsed to trek up two flights of stairs to see what was being shown.
    But it's probably because they couldn't get anything closer.

That being said, Haibane Renmei with it's overwhelming wholesomeness was the prefered place to ride out a hangover.

Here are a few pics. Enjoy:D

IMG_0169.jpg

Stupid mirror shot, when I got into my costume on the Saturday when we got down there.

IMG_0170.jpg

The artist alley.

IMG_0171.jpg

The dealer hall.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

The guest Francesca Dani's panel.

IMG_0178.jpg

The cosplayers for the contest.

IMG_0179.jpg

The winners of the contest, Lightning came 1st and Kikashi came 2nd posing with Francesca.

IMG_0194.jpg

Misato poach.

IMG_0196.jpg

Tenchi!!

IMG_0199.jpg

Stephen as Gendo Ikari

IMG_0200.jpg

Art.

Finally lets not forget the Iron man.

IMG_0205.jpg

Really sorry if I am hogging up the thread if it is a problem do let me know and I will delete some pictures.

Rest of photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

No problem at all Butterscotch, those are fantastic pictures! Much appreciated :D

Your welcome.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

wanted to see some photos of the event!

thanks butterscotch :)

Looks like really good craic, definetly head to it next year!

Advertisement