Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College turning into a JOKE!!

• 01-12-2009 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is this year really poorly organised, exams start in two weeks and still no sign of an exam timetable, asked my course director today he hasnt a clue when its going up despite constantly missing lectures to attend "meetings".
    Also the library is really tough to get a computer in since day one. You expect it coming to exam time but its impossible to get a computer between and 9 and 5.

At least we seem to have a decent student union, must get on to them about it!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

What would happen if you get your exam timetable tomorrow? If you study well anyways it won't make any difference would it? Regarding computers what do you suggest? Do you need computer to study?

I really can't see why you are complaining. It's a fair system mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

In NUIG you have to book a computer the day before to get on one, in Carlow, walk around for 10 mins and you'll have found one.

If you are worried about exams you should be studying already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 belindaf

to be honest i agree with you the college is turning into a joke!

Exam timetables should be set by now. Yea everyone should've studied and everything by now but its unfair to most people who dont live in carlow and have to find ways home before christmas.

As for the computers, on some days you are not gonna find one in 10 mins cos its been takin up by people playing games or watchin films or somethin else nothing to do with college work. The only thing you can do is go into one of the classrooms with computers and wait for them to be vacant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Whoa hold the boat, who said i wasnt studying!!!

1. I dont live in Carlow, i commute i need a computer to do college assignments, i work at home and cant stick around too late.

2. Timetable is helpful so i can book any neccesary time of work, and i have to book time off in advance as i cant afford not to work like some of the spoon feed twats in this college.

My point is in the previous two years in college exam timetables have been up a month in advance at least, i usually get two hours a day to do college assignments and its a serious struggle gettin a a computer during the day. I study since day one and the timetable will make no difference to this however it will help me plan for the next two weeks, these strikes and lecture absinteism is affecting me and everyone else in my class.

Its not to much to ask to have a timetable up two weeks b4 the exams, every other college in the country have them up by now!!!

Well that is why its advisable not to work while you are in college. College is counted as a full time job it's not the college fault you have to book a day off work.

I know what you mean by the way and I am just trying to be fair right. I am sure the college do their best for their students. Do you by any chance know the amount of work that goes into timetable making?

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Well that is why its advisable not to work while you are in college. College is counted as a full time job it's not the college fault you have to book a day off work.

I know what you mean by the way and I am just trying to be fair right. I am sure the college do their best for their students. Do you by any chance know the amount of work that goes into timetable making?

I take your point on the work that goes into timetables which is why i asked my course director. I wouldnt work if i could afford not to id be livin in carlow aswell if money was right its not i support myself through college and i live alone so if i want to eat i have to work. Maslows hierachy of needs, im on the bottom rung of that ladder.

I would also like to point out that i have always enjoyed my time in the college and always will however my observation is things seem to be gettin messy

I know what you mean man, I am a loyal ITCARLOW fan :). Same here I work all the time even skipping class I live alone and I dont get grant.

Anyways good luck, have you tried asking the lecturers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

while i take duffmans side it is important to remember that an organisation as big as the IT doesnt run itself and like any human system things go wrong occasionally.In my case i returned as a mature student.i wasnt informed of the huge fees i had to pay("didnt you get a letter" she said) then told nothing and i mean nothing else.I could find no mention of my course anywhere so just started attending lectures that someone on this site was good enough to tell me it was where i was supposed to be.After a blizzard of emails to eveyone in the computer dept one lecturer (Not on my course) was good enough to tell me that id better re-register and check broad sheets and all this malarky or my exam results wouldnt be recorded.I would have minded if i hadnt handed over 1500 euro in "Student Services" fees.If i had wanted to be left stressed, confused, annoyed and 1500 quid poorer id have hired Vinny Jones to knee me in the groin.There have been such a tiny strream of little pains from cancelled lectures to new student cards to no lunch breaks etc that i really feel ripped off by the college.Obviously im a biased witness but you should have heard the rant i wanted to post here when i registered,especially about the fees, but you owe what you owe.And one final thing, i completely agree about the computers in the LRC (Library,thats a joke ive heard quieter disembowelments) ,trying to work while a bunch of tossers three feet away are watching someone get run over by a bus ("johno! johno! have you seen this one man? hur! hur! hur!) and isnt there supposed to be a ban on food in the LRC? well glad i got that out of my system and anyway on the up side carlow have the best looking women of any IT ive been in.Swings and roundabouts isnt it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The problem with computers has been there for years, people doing non college stuff while people with a real need wait.

I remember a fair few years ago they had a trail of different access of different floors where the top floor was the only one where certain programs would work but it was a disaster as it affected peoples genuine work. I'm sure there are AP's and everyone has laptops so why are the LRC staff not policing computer use.

As for things changing, that was always the way. Access to certain rooms being removed, double booking rooms, no notice of change. I remember for a few weeks a room we had on top floor of LRC that was booked every wednesday for the year then one day we arrive in to find another soc in there. This went on for three weeks with them been told we would be moved and us being told they would move. There are some admin problems in the college for sure.

admin problems?? ha yea sure the college spend more on admin then anythin else and im sorry but wat exactly do half of dem do exactly? fair credit wen credit is due and i do realise there are many who deserve credit for the work they do but most of them are so ignorant how they work in a college is beyond me

and the whole eating in the library that was mentioned earlier.
    apologies but i have had to stay here till 10 most of the time wen i do i skip lunch and bring a sandwich up with me so i dont stop working. however i am one of the few who bother to clean up afterwards.

• Advertisement

I dont think eating is a problem in the library just people need to clean after themselves.

I honestly think that only the 3rd floor should be allowed have more than one to a computer would cut down on the you tubers, they are using other websites to get on you tube, its a joke
    I really do enjoy the college and have to say i generally find the staff pleasant however there needs to be inforcement so peoples can would work in a productive enviroment,its amazing how much more work ya get through in the quiet room than ya would in the general library area.

As for the computers it just seems like theres less on the 3rd floor than there was and the last few years ive been here its never been an issue unless its around exam time, its been bad all year so far

The thing is you tube is blocked but what can you do against a smart student who can make an ssh tunnel into his home computer or other computers to gain accvess to youtube or other blocked website.

The only thing that can solve this is "Ratting" on these student which I would advise against :P. We need more computers but recession ey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

belindaf wrote: »
    admin problems?? ha yea sure the college spend more on admin then anythin else and im sorry but wat exactly do half of dem do exactly? fair credit wen credit is due and i do realise there are many who deserve credit for the work they do but most of them are so ignorant how they work in a college is beyond me
    quote]

Sorry but i'm gonna stick up for the staff here. If you're gonna say they are ignorant at least give an example. Did you complain about the service you got??

Yes i've had some horrible service from some members of staff. Please take into account that I do like most of the staff i get on with the canteen staff the international office and the student services. Its jus somethin else i refuse to mention if thats ok.

As for the youtube thing guys youtube isnt blocked anymore anyone can access it.

Yes i've had some horrible service from some members of staff. Please take into account that I do like most of the staff i get on with the canteen staff the international office and the student services. Its jus somethin else i refuse to mention if thats ok.

It's your right as a student to complain if you receieve a service that isn't up to scratch (I certainly would!!!:)), read your student handbook.

The staff in the IT and most of the other IT's are under huge pressure due to the huge volumes of work, many colleagues have been let go at the ends of their contracts and the remaining staff have to pick up the flack along with the extra work that comes with the increase in numbers this year.

I blame the recession!

i can guarantee this was nothin to do with a huge amount of work firstly the person in question was literally filing her nails wen i wen in.

Then wen i asked for advice it she stared at me blankly as much to say "you mean your askin me to do my job" and den as she spoke to me like i was a four year old startin big school i said enough was enough. she then called me stupid (which im not dispite the fact that my grammer on this is not perfect) and then she sent me to someone else who then did the same thing. i eventually got fed up of this and kept gettin sent to different ppl. then wen i reached de last person they said that they couldnt help i was to go back to the first person i was dealin with cos it was her job.

so maybe there isnt a problem but i do think they should have their job outlined in big black writing on a wall beside them so they dont forget cos it is ridiculous.

i can guarantee this was nothin to do with a huge amount of work firstly the person in question was literally filing her nails wen i wen in.

Then wen i asked for advice it she stared at me blankly as much to say "you mean your askin me to do my job" and den as she spoke to me like i was a four year old startin big school i said enough was enough. she then called me stupid (which im not dispite the fact that my grammer on this is not perfect) and then she sent me to someone else who then did the same thing. i eventually got fed up of this and kept gettin sent to different ppl. then wen i reached de last person they said that they couldnt help i was to go back to the first person i was dealin with cos it was her job.

so maybe there isnt a problem but i do think they should have their job outlined in big black writing on a wall beside them so they dont forget cos it is ridiculous.

Just as i said before did you complain???????

Nothing will change if you don't!

regarding that post about colleagues being laid off / extra workload, i was kept on full time while all my other colleagues were put on one day a week and you just have to get on with it in my view.And regards un coperative staff i can tell you (as will anyone whose job deals with the public) sometimes there are just days when you cant face anymore guff from people and i know ive been guilty of fobbing off people in the past.And my main gripe is that i dont feel in my case i got value for my reg fee.Keeping things in perspective, its usually only people with problems who bother to post, you dont see many "things are going swimmingly" posts.But things dont change unless you speak up and you shouldnt have to settle for poor service you paid for.I hope more people chime in positive or negative, because in all other aspects the IT is great and id like to know whether this is an issue for others

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    regarding that post about colleagues being laid off / extra workload, i was kept on full time while all my other colleagues were put on one day a week and you just have to get on with it in my view.And regards un coperative staff i can tell you (as will anyone whose job deals with the public) sometimes there are just days when you cant face anymore guff from people and i know ive been guilty of fobbing off people in the past.And my main gripe is that i dont feel in my case i got value for my reg fee.Keeping things in perspective, its usually only people with problems who bother to post, you dont see many "things are going swimmingly" posts.But things dont change unless you speak up and you shouldnt have to settle for poor service you paid for.I hope more people chime in positive or negative, because in all other aspects the IT is great and id like to know whether this is an issue for others

Couldnt agree more although I and everyone has some issues, i feel the vast majority of the college functions extremelly well just the few issues ive highlighted earlier.
    One thing i naively forget about was the reduction in staff, i hadnt realised any of the staff had been let go. All the staff in the college are part of the public sector which i assumed meant nobody left unless by there own choice. I know the canteen workers and cleaners are exceptions to the rules as there Agency workers.
    I will forward this thread on to the SU i found them very proactive! Belinda if you have specific problems i recommend you approach one of the student union or even email them. It may have upset you but if you dont say anything some poor 17 year old first year might just be on the receiveing end of it next time. Its current students responsibility to play a part in making the college better for future students.
    Nick i know how ya feel about the fees, however in comparision to a lot of countrys your gettin a steal in getting a 3rd level education for 1500 a year. What are you studyin and is your value for money comment based on poor lecturing or what??

• Advertisement

well i was expecting to get screwed with fees as i didnt qualify for a grant or even qualify for free fees so im paying the full 3 grand ish amount because i dropped out first time around, and ive no-one to blame for that except myself.I nearly had a heart attack when the woman registering me said how much i was liable for, and said did you not recieve a letter etc etc.i knew with no grant id owe the reg fee and all of a sudden i owe double! of course like an idiot id assumed as a mature student id get the fabled mystical, "Mature Student Grant" (DOENT EXIST!!) and after getting turned down for the grant (twice), the student hardship fund, and paying all this cash i had no clue where my classes were when they started etc and it took weeks to sort out all that admin baloney.Thats all that bothers me, no problem with the lecturers or course at all.Ive a part time job in carlow so i couldnt really shop around for other ITs prices and i suppose you have a point at education being more expensive elsewhere.but i shouldnt let that get in the way of a good moan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    "Mature Student Grant" (DOENT EXIST!!)

Isn't there back to education support from the welfare office?

i went from full time work to college and everywhere ive turned to for some financial support has told me to piss off. As i said before i dropped out first time round so im definatly not saying what ive to pay is unfair, i realised going back would require a serious amount of cash.Although sometimes i get so angry at for my self for for taking the "boy scout route" i.e worked hard, saved money, told the thruth on every form, honesty the best policy.Now thats none of the colleges problem, what is their problem was all that admin rubbish id to sort out myself and paying them for the privilge.i think its all sorted now but if i turn up for exams in May and they say "not in the list" im going to go postal.On a final positive note a visit to the doctor or nurse is only a tenner which is great, cos i dont qualify for a medical card.Id better stop before i turn into a complete whinger.

Advertisement