Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full HD TV for only £189.99?!?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Found this on amazon.co.uk, Samsung T220 HD 22-inch widescreen, it appears to be full HD?

Firstly, is this correct? Secondly, are Samsung a good brand? Thirdly, does the fact it's billed as a monitor matter?

It appears to have a successor in the Samsung P2270 HD.

Is it worth the price, or is there a catch?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its only a monitor ... not an actual tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

1. Yeah it's correct.
    2. Samsung are a good brand IMO especially with TV's.
    3. I think that the best part about the whole thing is that it can be used as a monitor as I would have it hooked up to a high powered PC faster than you can cancel you sky subscription.

Over all I'd say it's well worth the price, if I had it myself I'd be ordering one and looking at the specs and reviews I can't see any catch.

The only thing I would say is that it only has one scart port which is a bit of a scandal at this day in age but you can buy a splitter to sort that out so it's not the end of the world

Edit: I says on the Amazon page that it's 1050p I'd never heard of that so I went and checked it out on Samsungs website and it is in fact 1080p so it's full HD. Oh and it has a remote as well.
    http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitors/lcd/LS22TDDSUV/EN/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=features

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

This is a monitor with a digital tv tuner.

The only possible issues with it would be, viewing angles and i don't see anything about a remote.

This is no bargain though albeit a good price for the particular screen. Lots of 22" tv's going around for less than that.

It's arguable that 1080 is not distinguishable from 720 at that size of screen too.

Just actually realised that it's not full hd anyway. But the P2270HD is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Op, I have one of these, they are excellent. The picture quality is fantastic, sound is very good as well. In the box it comes with a heap of different cables and a cd rom with drivers.

My PS3 showes this as 1080P which is full hd, seeing a HD picture on this is well worth it. In fact I have switched between ESPN sd and hd and you can see the difference

And there is a full remote with it. Wish I had seen it at that price :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

"ESPN sd and hd and you can see the difference"

That's because you are switching between a channel broadcast in 1080i with one that is broadcast in standard def. Of course there is going to be a visual difference no matter what size the screen. The point is that 720p and 1080p are impossible to tell apart on a screen that size so it doesnt matter if its full HD as long as its HD. There's cheaper 1920x1200 (full hd) 22" monitors for that price. You'd get a 24" for that price now probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Many thanks for all the input guys. Guess my next question is this, what is the difference between a tv and a monitor? Am I better off going for a HD ready 22-inch tv, or this full HD monitor? And finally, on some of the reviews for the first monitor, it claims it doesn't've 16:9 but rather 16:10, that much of a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Effluo wrote: »
    This is a monitor with a digital tv tuner.

The only possible issues with it would be, viewing angles and i don't see anything about a remote.

This is no bargain though albeit a good price for the particular screen. Lots of 22" tv's going around for less than that.

It's arguable that 1080 is not distinguishable from 720 at that size of screen too.

Just actually realised that it's not full hd anyway. But the P2270HD is

From reading a review on TrustedReviews
    it does come with a remote. Would this be a good choice for hooking up a DVD player or similar too? GF was looking for a small TV (around this size) for her bedroom, so this could be a nice xmas present for her if it worked well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

Still sounds like good value to me especially with sterling at its current rate against the euro!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

GStormcrow wrote: »
    "ESPN sd and hd and you can see the difference"

That's because you are switching between a channel broadcast in 1080i with one that is broadcast in standard def. Of course there is going to be a visual difference no matter what size the screen. The point is that 720p and 1080p are impossible to tell apart on a screen that size so it doesnt matter if its full HD as long as its HD. There's cheaper 1920x1200 (full hd) 22" monitors for that price. You'd get a 24" for that price now probably

Could you tell us where we'd probably find a 24" for that price? Because I'd probably be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

have one meself got it in tesco ages ago. it has a CI Card slot on the side to take an MPG4 converter card to pick up Irish DTT signal. Built in digital tuner is MPG2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Many thanks for all the input guys. Guess my next question is this, what is the difference between a tv and a monitor? Am I better off going for a HD ready 22-inch tv, or this full HD monitor?

I'm also wondering about this. Would appricatice if someone could enlighten me. I many use my TV for the Xbox. I am considering getting a flatscreen and monitors appear cheaper than TV. What is the disadvantage of a moniter over a TV? Can a the moniter play TV channells off an NTL box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I got one last year from Tesco. Looks great and has plenty of connections at the back. Picture quality is very good but the sound is quite weak. I use it as a monitor presently so sound isn't too much of an issue. But as a TV, you will notice the tinny sound. Fine for a small room.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I'm also wondering about this. Would appricatice if someone could enlighten me. I many use my TV for the Xbox. I am considering getting a flatscreen and monitors appear cheaper than TV. What is the disadvantage of a moniter over a TV? Can a the moniter play TV channells off an NTL box?

A monitor generally does not have sound but might. It will defintely not have a TV tuner (analogue or digital).

Other than that a TV screen and monitor screen is pretty much the same. The T220HD includes the tuner, the T220 does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

bazwaldo wrote: »
    A monitor generally does not have sound but might. It will defintely not have a TV tuner (analogue or digital).

Other than that a TV screen and monitor screen is pretty much the same. The T220HD includes the tuner, the T220 does not.

Cheers. If you were to connect up some 5.1 speakers to the montier I would the problem be solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Here is a Samsung 23" LCD Syncmaster P2370 for €199. Is also only a monitor but is 1080p also.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451113

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

When did 1,680 x 1,050 become full HD? This is not a full HD screen.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Cheers. If you were to connect up some 5.1 speakers to the montier I would the problem be solved?

At the back there is a "component IN" section with RBG and audio left and right. I assume this does not output audio.

At the right with the cam slot, there is a headphones socket. This would output stereo sound. So whichever way you want to wire it, the source would be a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged into the side of the TV.

The sound should be as good as the speakers.

Also there is an optical digital audio output if thats any use. Might be worth tracking down the manual online.

I've actually found it for 200 here, after exhaustive reviews of all 22'' tvs, I've found this Samsung P2270 monitor to be the best. The reasons are as follows:
    1. full HD (1080p as far as I can ascertain)
    2. HDMI
    3. Seems to have a cable for tv (see here)
    4. has 16:9 rather than the odd 16:10 of its predecessor (Samsung T220)
    Now, the only problems are these:
    Firstly, it worries me it is a monitor, as it's main use will be as a tv (we will not be hooking up a computer to it, the only thing that will be hooked up is an Xbox 360 with HDMI connection) - should I abandon this 1080p monitor in favour of a similarly priced 22'' HD ready (720p) tv such as the Samsung LE224B450?
    Secondly, the sound appears to be a major gripe for people, is it possible to hook the monitor up to a sound system (such as this), and if so, would that improve the audio aspect?
    Once again, many thanks for all your input! And as an aside, to those of you who said they own this Samsung (or indeed the T220) - what is it like as a tv, or did you use it solely as a PS3/Xbox 360 monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the monitor/tv in the OP, i find it's great, i primarily use it as a monitor but it's a grand tv too.
    Keep in mind that you will find dedicated "Monitors" like the one mentioned above for cheaper, but this has a tv tuner, and remote so it's usable as a tv and monitor, and it has hdmi inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I've actually found it for 200 here, after exhaustive reviews of all 22'' tvs, I've found this Samsung P2270 monitor to be the best. The reasons are as follows:
    1. full HD (1080p as far as I can ascertain)
    2. HDMI
    3. Seems to have a cable for tv (see here)
    4. has 16:9 rather than the odd 16:10 of its predecessor (Samsung T220)
    Now, the only problems are these:
    Firstly, it worries me it is a monitor, as it's main use will be as a tv (we will not be hooking up a computer to it, the only thing that will be hooked up is an Xbox 360 with HDMI connection) - should I abandon this 1080p monitor in favour of a similarly priced 22'' HD ready (720p) tv such as the Samsung LE224B450?
    Secondly, the sound appears to be a major gripe for people, is it possible to hook the monitor up to a sound system (such as this), and if so, would that improve the audio aspect?
    Once again, many thanks for all your input! And as an aside, to those of you who said they own this Samsung (or indeed the T220) - what is it like as a tv, or did you use it solely as a PS3/Xbox 360 monitor?

Are you aware that the 2270 that you've linked to for €200 is not the same as the 2270hd. It doesn't seem to have hdmi based on the specs on the page and this image http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B001UJIHPA/ref=dp_otherviews_z_2?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3H0B5FX3JUUG9&s=electronics&img=2&colid=3RHBK5I0BXUYS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When did 1,680 x 1,050 become full HD? This is not a full HD screen.

Just seen this in the spec
    Stunning Full HD 1050p

Well done Amazon, you've created a new HD standard :rolleyes:

Are you aware that the 2270 that you've linked to for €200 is not the same as the 2270hd. It doesn't seem to have hdmi based on the specs on the page and this image http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B001UJIHPA/ref=dp_otherviews_z_2?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3H0B5FX3JUUG9&s=electronics&img=2&colid=3RHBK5I0BXUYS

Didn't actually notice that, thanks for pointing that out! Thought I was onto a winner there!

To the poster (person, not wall hang ;-) who has it, when you say grand tv, I would've thought full HD is pretty savage, why only grand? Don't mean to be nitpicking, sorry.

And any thoughts on whether that Logitech sound system would work with it?

thecivvie wrote: »
    Op, I have one of these, they are excellent. The picture quality is fantastic, sound is very good as well. In the box it comes with a heap of different cables and a cd rom with drivers.

My PS3 showes this as 1080P which is full hd, seeing a HD picture on this is well worth it. In fact I have switched between ESPN sd and hd and you can see the difference

And there is a full remote with it. Wish I had seen it at that price :)

This is the Samsung T220, right? So could you please clarify if it's 1050p or 1080p? Do you use it as a tv? What is the sound like? And could you connect speakers to it? Thanks!

bazwaldo wrote: »
    source would be a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged into the side of the TV.

The sound should be as good as the speakers.

Also there is an optical digital audio output if thats any use. Might be worth tracking down the manual online.

What is this "optical digital audio output" you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

It's when you stick your fingers in both eyes while emitting a loud noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

This is the Samsung T220, right? So could you please clarify if it's 1050p or 1080p? Do you use it as a tv? What is the sound like? And could you connect speakers to it? Thanks!

T220HD

PS3 shows it as 1080p see image. I have used the PS3 on a HD ready and it only gets 720

IMG00001-20091202-0810.jpg

Sound is ok, though it could be deeper but I am waiting to buy a Sourround Sound System

I use it as a TV, using standard Analogue TV and UPC Digital HD+ set to 1080

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Saw an LG 23'' Full HD monitor for 149.99euro on komplett.ie I think. It seems like a better offer imo. Would be useful for those looking to hook their Xbox 360 up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

My parents have the 20" version of this, and it's great. Picture is brilliant. Just watch tho, some of them don't have MPEG4 (for Irish Digital Terestrial).

Dunno if it's 1080p HD. I really thought it was on 720p. Either way, great picture from Freesat HD. Also, the T200HD / T220HD aren't wall mountable!

See this thread about the T200HD in Tesco / Powercity earlier in the year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557443

The ones Samsung distribute here themselves (according to there customer care phone line) do have MPEG4 decoders (ie if you bought it in an Irish retailer like DID or Powercity etc...) Tesco were selling the 20" version earlier in the year, but was either an older model, or from UK, as it didn't do MPEG4.

Anyway, the only downfall I can see (or hear) with these (defo the 20" variation, so presume 22" is the same) is that the speakers aren't great on them. Audio is a little bit tinny sounding. But the picture from BBC HD via Freesat on this is superb!

Saw an LG 23'' Full HD monitor for 149.99euro on komplett.ie I think. It seems like a better offer imo. Would be useful for those looking to hook their Xbox 360 up to.

Only problem I can see with it would be the fact it comes packaged with an adaptor...

• Advertisement

23 inch version of the Samsung P2370HD for only €277 on komplett.ie, this in comparison to €265 on amazon.co.uk. Only problem is the 23 inch seems to come with an adaptor...

Advertisement