Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary to primary ?

• 01-12-2009 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

hi guys,
    anyone know what the deal is if having qualified as a secondary teacher and want to get qualified as a primary teacher now? do i start from scratch, where do you apply etc. have the pgde done.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

You'd have to apply to one of the Post grad Primary courses (18 mths) in - St Pats or MaryI or Hibernia - I'm sure there are plenty of posts on here about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This is exactly what I am going to do next year. Completed my HDip and have 4 years teaching experience in secondary schools but I have applied to do a Primary PGCE in London for next September. When it is done I will most likely remain in the UK, where teachers are appreciated a little more by the general republic.
    Personally the advantages for the doing it in England are the fact that its just one year, lower cost of living, afaik I can get a grant because I am an EU student, and the fees are half what they are here for primary teaching (plus you dont have to pay it until you get into a job after qualification)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Thanks StargazerLily :)

Sorted Maynooth_Rules! Just let me know what time your flight is an I'll meet ya at the airport! lol. Makes total sense every way you look at it really. I'm guessing I'm too late to apply for this coming September? I must look into where is the best place to apply to or where does it etc.

The other thing is that jobs are plentiful in the UK. I am getting emails now and again for jobs in the UK from Uteach Recruitment. I'm just being a chicken about moving away on my own tho and circumstances aren't allowing for it at the mo too. I only graduated from the HDip this year but like yourself have 4 years teaching experience. My subject is English. I think I'd feel more comfortable in primary now for some reason, don't really know why I've had a change of heart from Secondary to Primary. Good luck with yours anyway Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Teachers respected more by the general public in UK???!!!Hmmm...dont know about that ...Ive never heard anything but bad reports about teachers pay and conditions in the UK ...you do know about their Summer hols , right!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

ytareh wrote: »
    ...you do know about their Summer hols , right!?

Same amount of holidays spread differently throughout the year and at least there is a better chance of getting a job over in England than there is at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Can you give a few more details of holidays ?Im mainly interested in Secondary...Do they have a shorter working day or how does it end up being less when we have double the Summer hols...?I read that UK schools can have up to 75 scheduled staff/dept meetings per year ...found this simply UNBELIEVABLE >>..although theres some talk here that an hour or two may be added onto our working week here for 'planning'/meetings ...Is discipline more of an issue on average do you reckon ...Pay?I was scanning through ads in mags /online etc and got the impression that lecturers and principals were less well paid there than I am here (Im near top of scale admittedly ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Rodar 08, you are too late to formally apply for this year, closing date was 2 days ago. But i think you can still apply by contacting the colleges you are interested in going to. What colleges are you interested in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Thanks Manooth_Rules, Well I'm not exactly sure where I'm interested in at the moment. Have to do the research and think about it some more. I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to get back in to the thick of studying again right now having just finished the PGDE in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

I will most likely remain in the UK, where teachers are appreciated a little more by the general republic.

I'm also secondary qualified and going to england to do primary PGCE. I did my secondary PGCE there also and I can tell you for certain that teachers are treated far worse in the UK. It was the worst year of my life, but it still beats trying to get into Primary ITT here!

Advertisement