Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in trouble in job. scared of the sack

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. long time poster but going unreg for this. i work as a factory worker in a medical device company and last Tue morning i went to work and started the day as normal. An hour in to work., i realised i was using the wrong machine for the product i was on. i panicked - absolutely freaked out - as i feared my line lead and supervisor would frown upon me for making such a mistake and have the book thrown at me. Bit of background - me and my line lead and supervisor haven't been getting on lately, so much so to the point, that two weeks prior to this incident i had to report both of them to their boss for getting on my case all of the time.

Stupidly i scanned in the other machine on the records, then deleted the other one (which in fairness showed up on the records as having being deleted which i was well aware it would) and carried on whilst i figured out how in gods name i would explain this f*ck up to my line-lead and supervisor. At half 2 my line-lead called me over and asked me to come clean which i went to my supervisor and explained the whole story. a few minutes later my supervisor calls me over and accuses me of only coming clean because i was told to and that i would have been happy to carry on. i said i only done it because i panicked. he took statement from me next day and went to his bosses. On Friday he came up to me before work ended and said i had to meet him and a HR rep first thing Monday. i had that hanging over me the whole weekend.

So on Monday i meet him and HR rep. At end of meeting they ask me to sit in canteen while they decide what course of action to escalate it to. Almost an HOUR later my supervisor comes out and tells me i have to meet head of HR, his boss, and some other head tomorrow (who recommended i be suspended for a fortnight which was supposedly opposed by supervisor and his boss) .I am dreading this. im bracing myself for the sack even though
    1. It is my first offense of any kind since commencing employment there in Sept 2006.
    2. I have 100% attendance for both 2008 and 2009 to date,
    3. i have also been flexible with my breaks and voluntary overtime.

I realise i deserve the predicament im in and whilst i wouldn't miss the four walls of the place i would certainly miss the money and having to tell my parents plus there is the added difficulty of obtaining employment in the future due to no reference.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For the meeting you went to you should have had a union rep. or another employee with you as a witness. The Union rep would usually have an idea of the punishment for such a mistake. At worst I could see you get a final written warning, which stays on your record for 6 months as fa as I know.

Just make sure the attendants at the meeting realize just how sorry you are. If they ask for you to add anything else to the meeting notes say you would like to take the opp to apologise and tell them how much you realize how serious this is.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think if you have issues with your immediate bosses but the meeting is with Their bosses then that could maybe put you in a better position.. I think the best thing is to forget the issues with your immediate boss and just communicate directly with the people in the meeting, come completely clean that it was a genuine mistake and you panicked a bit but have learnt from the experience, stress your attendance and other strong points etc. Gook luck with the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    For the meeting you went to you should have had a union rep. or another employee with you as a witness. The Union rep would usually have an idea of the punishment for such a mistake. At worst I could see you get a final written warning, which stays on your record for 6 months as fa as I know.

Just make sure the attendants at the meeting realize just how sorry you are. If they ask for you to add anything else to the meeting notes say you would like to take the opp to apologise and tell them how much you realize how serious this is.

Good luck.

thanks.
    the company in question don't recognise unions so i brought in a co worker. i had a second meeting earlier (Tuesday) following on from the first meeting Monday with same personnel. AFAIK that's the last meeting and a decision is pending. I'm more optimistic that i may get a final written (which lasts 12 months) at the severest but i cant rule out the sack at this stage. however if they were going to do that surely they would have suspended me or something by now. anyway if i can get to my annual bonus mid February i would be thrilled. i have set a target to find other employment or start out on my own by then. this was an eye opener. im in a job that i don't enjoy. i should be able to turn and admit a blunder to people in times like this but i felt i could turn to no one. still i am totally to blame for the predicament im in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

If there is a union get a rep in with you asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd ask for a private meeting with HR, explain why you paniked and that you are sorry but have learned from your mistake.
    In manufacturing mistakes happen but quality control is serious for a company, put your hand up if you make a boo boo straight away, it happens, it's not a sackable offence, it's just a mistake, you just slipped up by trying to cover it up.
    Stop worrying and try and get on with your work mates, the boss may be a bolix but he's still the boss, you'll just have to grin and bare it untill your the boss.

• Advertisement

Hi all. thanks for all your replies, On Friday my supervisor called me over and called a meeting for this morning at 9. I went in a 9 with a co worker and I was given the sack. i am so dejected at the moment. I haven't told my parents yet and dunno what to do. i am entitled to an appeal which i will do but im not optimistic. they cited a 'breakdown of trust'. this despite i continuing to work on the line for 10 days afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jesus sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

thanks.
    the company in question don't recognise unions so i brought in a co worker. i had a second meeting earlier (Tuesday) following on from the first meeting Monday with same personnel. AFAIK that's the last meeting and a decision is pending. I'm more optimistic that i may get a final written (which lasts 12 months) at the severest but i cant rule out the sack at this stage. however if they were going to do that surely they would have suspended me or something by now. anyway if i can get to my annual bonus mid February i would be thrilled. i have set a target to find other employment or start out on my own by then. this was an eye opener. im in a job that i don't enjoy. i should be able to turn and admit a blunder to people in times like this but i felt i could turn to no one. still i am totally to blame for the predicament im in

I think I know the company that you refer to - and if it is the company that I think it is - they will be extremely careful not to make a mistake in their decision making.
    They're an overbearing lot at the best of times : and this attitude is condoned by so called "management" there.
    Believe me - you're better off out of that particular company because anyone with a bit of imagination has no place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jesus, sorry to hear about that, its a horrible feeling, don't beat yourself up about it, it happens, don't leat it eat you up.
    Start thinking about what your going to do next, have you been to college, could this be your chance, every had a business idea you wanted to try, just go for it. Don't let them hurt you anymore than they have.
    I really don't believe it's a sackable offence what you did, you could go the legal route but look it could be so much easier to move on to the next part of your life. Best of luck in whatever you do! If we can give you any tips, suggest altetrnative jobs, just let us know. Were all behind you.

Hi all.
    Thanks everyone for your messages of support, i really am touched. ill take everything on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Shocked you got the sack for this, wouldn't have considered it gross mis conduct.

If you do appeal, you are appealing their decision as apposed to the facts of the matter.

As such, you are looking for them to re access the situation, based on the process they used to arrive at that decision. As in did they raise any unrelated points during your hearings.

Other than that your better just to move on, but use this opportunity to re access your work life and make sure you come out of this positivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

What a bunch of scumbags those bosses are.

Scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

spongeman wrote: »
    What a bunch of scumbags those bosses are.

Scum of the earth.

Sorry why are they scumbags? the op works for a medical device company, he made a mistake and instead of owning up he falsified documentation and put the company at risk.

to make a mistake is one thing , but to falsify documentation when working in the medical profession is gross neglience.

sorry for the op , but the company has to protect itself

Shelflife wrote: »
    Sorry why are they scumbags? the op works for a medical device company, he made a mistake and instead of owning up he falsified documentation and put the company at risk.

to make a mistake is one thing , but to falsify documentation when working in the medical profession is gross neglience.

sorry for the op , but the company has to protect itself

it was one mistake in almost 3 and a half years. it warrants a strong warning, not the sack. were human beings, we make mistakes. we have a culture of cutthroats in the medical device industry as well as pricks riding our ass to get out numbers

hi all
    so its a month on. i appealed the decision unsuccessfully, but get this, they sent me out the letter telling me of this outcome only they didn't put my first name or even first initial on the envelope so it went a namesake of mine at the same address. professionalism how do! i phoned and vented my absolute disgust at the carelessness of it.

Advertisement