Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a new route phd & traditional phd?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

^^^ Can't seem to clarify this on google

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you have examples of the former?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fergus08

New route: more structure; research methods courses; quantitative methods courses; some taught elements and, once these have been completed, you begin your disseration. Overall duration: four years plus. Similar to the structure of US PhDs.

Old route: you structure things, meet your supervisor every so often; other than that it's just you and the library. Overall duration: approximately three years full time. Still how most PhDs are done here and the UK.

That's my two cents; hope it's of some use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some of the colleges use different terminology to mean the same thing:

Structured PhD seems to be a term used in TCD and UCD. Basically it amounts to formalizing credits gained from teaching and research, and introduces a Stage 1 to Stage 2 "Transfer assessment" to see that there has been some progress made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So where do the professional doctorates fall into this?

Seeing as I am considering one, after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So where do the professional doctorates fall into this?

Seeing as I am considering one, after all. :)

Have a look at this document. It lists certain points about professional doctorates, what the differences are to PhD's etc.

Link: http://www.nqai.ie/documents/ReviewofProfessionalDoctorates1006rev.doc

• Advertisement
Advertisement