Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon tax and airtricity

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this carbon tax is introduced will it affect airtricity customers? If it does then it wont be a carbon tax but just another tax?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

you bet it will be there, a part of your Aitricity bill is electricity bought from ESB and other companies, actually all electricity gets bought from a common pool, not like you can attach a flag to each "green" or "nuclear" electron and count them ;) somehow

for an average house about 10-50 euro a year is already added to the electricity bill as a carbon levy, this was the case since about 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    you bet it will be there, a part of your Aitricity bill is electricity bought from ESB and other companies, actually all electricity gets bought from a common pool, not like you can attach a flag to each "green" or "nuclear" electron and count them ;) somehow

for an average house about 10-50 euro a year is already added to the electricity bill as a carbon levy, this was the case since about 2006

I think the power companies already buy credits to offset the carbon footprint so they will not have to pay the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MaceFace wrote: »
    I think the power companies already buy credits to offset the carbon footprint so they will not have to pay the tax.

Did they not get them for free? Yet still added the cost to ours bills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

snaps wrote: »
    Just wondering if this carbon tax is introduced will it affect airtricity customers? If it does then it wont be a carbon tax but just another tax?

No, the carbon tax will not impact on electricity bills.

If the carbon tax is implemented according to the recommendations of the Commission on Taxation installations included under the EU ETS, including energy installations with a rated thermal input over 20MW, will be exempted from the carbon tax.

MaceFace wrote: »

it gets passed right down to the customer in the bill

in 2006 ESB was paying 10euro a ton (average emission per household, the back of the bills state co2 produced), i believe this went up more than 5ivefold since then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

in 2006 ESB was paying 10euro a ton (average emission per household, the back of the bills state co2 produced), i believe this went up more than 5ivefold since then
    The volatility of the carbon price is a common criticism of systems such as cap-and-trade and cap-and-share.

The price started off in April 2006 at €30/ton and dropped to €0.10/ton in Sept 2007.It is currently at c. €11/ton, afaik.

I have never seen the price at €50/ton, ei.sdraob. Do you have a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So we are already paying a sort of carbon tax then? Interesting, So it will just be petrol, heating oil and coal hit. That will push prices up in supermarkets for delivery, so more cross border shopping?

Can oil companies from the north deliver to the south?

Also drivers heading south of the border for petrol will stop coming as well?

A bit of a catch 22 for the government then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

So we are already paying a sort of carbon tax then? Interesting, So it will just be petrol, heating oil and coal hit. That will push prices up in supermarkets for delivery, so more cross border shopping?

Can oil companies from the north deliver to the south?

Also drivers heading south of the border for petrol will stop coming as well?

A bit of a catch 22 for the government then?

The North also implements a carbon levy, as far as I'm aware.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Theres only 5% vat on heating oil though in the north/UK? I remember when Bertie was saying our VAT on heating oil will come down to the norths level...................Dream, dream, dream!

taconnol wrote: »
    The volatility of the carbon price is a common criticism of systems such as cap-and-trade and cap-and-share.

The price started off in April 2006 at €30/ton and dropped to €0.10/ton in Sept 2007.It is currently at c. €11/ton, afaik.

I have never seen the price at €50/ton, ei.sdraob. Do you have a source?

hmm your right, im fairly sure i read it risen to 50/ton from initial 10/ton at some stage

according to CER > http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=f3332333-034a-461c-b86f-45bcc393394f

its 20/ton average for 2009 (1.3 cent extra per kWh)

there was an interesting post on myhome > http://blog.myhome.ie/post/Carbon-Tax-To-be-or-not-to-be-introduced.aspx

talking about carbon tax in France, starting at 32/ton and going to 100/ton by 2030

i would bet this would endup being higher in Ireland, remember that France generates all its power via nuclear

So we are already paying a sort of carbon tax then?
    yes according to CER document linked above its an extra 1.3cent per kWh for this year for ESB

• Advertisement

talking about carbon tax in France, starting at 32/ton and going to 100/ton by 2030
    You have to be careful about your choice of words. We seem to be switching quickly from discussing a carbon tax to discussing cap-and-trade. They are two different mechanisms.
    i would bet this would endup being higher in Ireland, remember that France generates all its power via nuclear
    The nature of a carbon tax is that the price is set by the government. So I don't see how our renewables mix will directly influence the price. The increase in carbon tax in France is an intentional policy choice, not a projection of what the market price might be.
    yes according to CER document linked above its an extra 1.3cent per kWh for this year for ESB
    And I imagine it is considerably less for Airtricity, who use approximately 79% renewable energy compared to ESB's figure of 9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Theres only 5% vat on heating oil though in the north/UK? I remember when Bertie was saying our VAT on heating oil will come down to the North's level...................Dream, dream, dream!

just back from the north
    bought 900 litres of kerosene for 38 cents a litre
    all things they want to introduce this budget it makes travel to the north more and more attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

just back from the north
    all things they want to introduce this budget it makes travel to the north more and more attractive

And that's where I will be buying my coal for the Stanley as well since I ran out of locally sourced firewood.

just back from the north

How did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

How did you buy it?

i friend of mine had to do a job in dungannon with his digger
    i was with him yesterday to drive back his 4x4 with fuel trailer
    tank of trailer was almost empty so i stopped somewhere on my way home and filled it up with kerosene

Advertisement