Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bah Humbug

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

A place of safety amongst all the festive nonsence for those of us who are feeling a bit begrudgery and cumudgenly at this time of year for whatever reason. A thread to escape from the tinsel of organised religeons, the sparkle of consumerism, the glitter of greed and the baubles of glutteny.
    Wot? To harsh?

Thing is that I quite like a winter festival but it's ruined for me by the whole schmaltsy, 6 month build up consumerist malarky that goes along with it. Seeing christmas lights and halloween decorations on the same shelf in Woodies is depressing on so many levels.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

There is no doubt that the early beginning(and earlier every year :eek:) can ruin christmas, I just try to ignore it all until late November, then it's christmas all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1552/251/84/623875185/n623875185_1254405_5689.jpg
    made this a link instead

found it when i joined a **** christmas group on FB, i am the grinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

I hate Christmas! It used to be so wonderful but now its just full of people neurosing over who you spend time with etc etc. The one day of the year you should be able to please yourself and everyone who couldnt give a damn about you the rest of the year fights over who hets to have you. BAH humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I thought it might be a good idea to get people talking about what they don't like about Christmas. Let out your inner Scrooge!

For me, while I love the build up, I don't like Christmas Day itself! I'm just not the type of person who can stand family. ( Though that attitude will probably change when I have my own ) It also feels like an endurance test than anything else! I don't get that bored on any other day of the year, even on Good Friday!

The so called ' Christmas Creep ' is another big one, I saw them putting up Christmas Decorations in Merchants Quay in Cork at the start of November! Don't get me started on Christmas shops popping up in September!

People who see Christmas as a competition on who got the best present. I can understand that some what with kids but adults should really know better! Stop trying to outclass one another! I thought its the thought that counts? Is it any wonder why some people are so much up in debt? :rolleyes:

And what about Christmas TV? God, welcome to an endless world of repeats! I swear one Christmas season I counted over a dozen old Westerns on TV on over Christmas, ridiculous!

Bah, Humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's already a thread in Ranting and Raving about this. Let us have our Christmas cheer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement