Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Fri 12th Feb: 5.1 @7:25 m/m giving myself a chance to recover
    Sat 13th Feb: Rest
    Sun 14th Feb: 20.1 @ 7:03 m/m - Knee was a bit stiff for about 5 miles but cleared up after that. That was ok and on paper it looks like I'm recovering but even though there was very little pain I could still feel that it was not right. There is a lot of compensating going on in my stride. My good leg is doing most of the work. I tried to force a normal stride but its nothing I can control. I could also feel tightness across my lower back.

Mon 15th Feb: 6.1 @ 7:16 m/m - Recovery run, felt tired in general.

Tuesday 17th Feb: 10 @ 6:32 m/m**

Good run. I was toying with the idea of doing 2 or 3 by two miles @ slightly slower than tempo pace but changed my mind at the last minute. Decided to just run the 10 at a comfortably hard pace instead. Considering that the first mile was just over 7 mins I'm really happy with that average pace.

** My watch turned off for some unknown reason at 9.6 miles. The battery was fully charged. I know the loop is exactly 10 and I'm pretty sure my last half mile was my fastest but I'll use the average for the 9.6 which was 6:32m/m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

bizzare - I ran exactly ten last night at 6'31/per mile (although i'd say I was pushing myself quite a bit more than you at that pace). At 9.45 miles the stupid GPS accuracy thing switched on and I lost a couple of seconds.

Weird. Hope the knee is feeling better.

Wed 18th Feb: 13.1 Didnt have a watch as my 205 is still buggered. Just by feel I'd say it was about 6:50 - 7 m/m. It got really cold towards the end of the run. My hands were frozen for ages after I finished.
    bizzare - I ran exactly ten last night at 6'31/per mile (although i'd say I was pushing myself quite a bit more than you at that pace). At 9.45 miles the stupid GPS accuracy thing switched on and I lost a couple of seconds.

Weird. Hope the knee is feeling better.

That is an odd coincidence. I wouldn't say 6:30 m/m miles are easy for me. I still have to work hard enough for them. I was having a look at your log and I was amazed at how regularly you crank out 6:30 m/m. Its pretty obvious that you'll be a lot faster than 2:58/9.
    The knee keeps improving, for now it feels like it is back to normal. I saw the physio yesterday and we agreed that I could go back to full training. Fingers crossed for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you've exhausted all options with the 205, give Garmin support a shout. They do repairs on existing products out of warranty. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll do it for free, or replace your watch with a refurb'ed item. Worth a try anyway.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/repairs

Thur 18th Feb 10 @ 6:55 m/m Felt a little tired. I'll take it easy tomorrow and hopefully feel ok for a long run on Saturday.
    If you've exhausted all options with the 205, give Garmin support a shout. They do repairs on existing products out of warranty. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll do it for free, or replace your watch with a refurb'ed item. Worth a try anyway.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/repairs

Thanks Krusty, I got in contact with them. I'd have to pay a repair charge plus I'd have to wait at least a week to get a repair/replacement so I just decided to fork out on a 405. Should have it tomorrow.

Fri 19th Feb: 6.2 @ 7:16 m/m My intention was to run this slower but was out with one of the guys from work. With all the talking I totally forgot about the pace. Got my new 405. Seems nice but it will take a bit of getting used to. The wireless sync is great, no more hunting about for the cable/cradle.

Just hunting about for the wireless dongle instead (which is infinitely smaller and more loseable!).

Just hunting about for the wireless dongle instead (which is infinitely smaller and more loseable!).

After a long and protracted committee meeting it has been decided that I cant be trusted with small dongles that are easily lost and so it shall be clipped to my work swipe card holder and shall forever live strapped around my neck unless in use(or I'm at home).

• Advertisement

Sat 20th Feb: 22.4 @ I don't know.

Unbelievably after 3.5 miles my brand new, just out of the box 405 flashed a 'battery low' warning and promptly died. I checked it before I went out and it said that there was 75% battery remaining. I'm pretty easy going in general but I was red hot with rage at that point. In fact I'll end my rant there before I get carried away.

The plan at the start was to do 17.4 at or under 6:55 m/m and then the remaining 5 at 6:30 m/m I'm pretty sure that I did that. The first 3 miles were 6:54, 6:40, 6:37 and the half mile at 6:39. Other than a nasty spell between miles 8.5 - 10 where I had to slow a little due to some stomach cramps I didn't ease off much.
    I'll be honest and say the last 5 were hard work, especially the last 2 which are mostly undulating. Even though it doesn't change anything it would have been nice to have the splits.

dermCu wrote: »
    Sat 20th Feb: 22.4 @ I don't know.

Unbelievably after 3.5 miles my brand new, just out of the box 405 flashed a 'battery low' warning and promptly died. I checked it before I went out and it said that there was 75% battery remaining. I'm pretty easy going in general but I was red hot with rage at that point. In fact I'll end my rant there before I get carried away.
    A similar thing happened to mine once but then never happened again. Sounds like a good run anyway.

What a pain in the ass. That's why I bought my OH a Forerunner (contingency!). Good to see it didn't affect the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I'd say there isn't too much wrong with the 405....new things out of the box need a couple of charges / discharges before they work for the intended length of time. should be ok next time after its charged up now.

Sun 21st Feb: 16.5 miles of hill reps on Box Hill with a friend. Long slow session; 4 hours, 1876 meters ascent/descent. Very muddy but a good session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 hrs and 1800m ascents :eek: God bless your patience. Well done.

4 hrs and 1800m ascents :eek: God bless your patience. Well done.

You hit the nail on the head. Lots of reps, pace not an issue:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Sun 21st Feb: 16.5 miles of hill reps on Box Hill with a friend. Long slow session; 4 hours, 1876 meters ascent/descent. Very muddy but a good session.

Where is Box hill. I only want to know so I can avoid it at all costs :)

Mon 22nd Feb: 6 @ 7:40m/m Recovery run at lunch. As expected my legs were a bit heavy. Felt better the longer the run went on. It has been snowing here since early morning so it was nice and cold. I'll take an easy day tomorrow as well.
    Where is Box hill. I only want to know so I can avoid it at all costs :)

No need to worry RoadRunner, its in Surrey just outside of London to the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

No need to worry RoadRunner, its in Surrey just outside of London to the south.

Grand, at least there is a body of water separating us.

• Advertisement

Tue 23rd Feb: 8.7 @ 7:17 another easy day to recover after the weekend.

Wed 24th Feb 11.6 @ 6:50

2.7 warmup
    3 x 2 at around HM pace with 2 mins rec
    2.4 cooldown

5:59, 6:05, 6:20

Got caught on a traffic crossing for the last one. Its normally a quiet road but not last night. I was working very hard on the last one but if I wasn't interrupted I would have been below 6:10 When I do this session again I'll move it to an uninterrupted stretch of path and just do it over and back.

I was tired at the end. I could still feel the weekends work in my legs.
    It makes my life a bit easier if I do next weekends long run on Saturday, that's the only reason I squeezed in last nights session.

Thur 25th 10 @ 7:02 m/m - Felt tired. At the start my plan was to do 8 on Thur and another 8 on Fri. Changed my plan half way around and decided to add on another 2 and rest on Fri. I knew I was fatigued and that it would take a full day of rest to recover.

Fri 26th: Rest

Sat 27th: 22.33 @ 6:38 m/m The last 5 were under 6:30 but they were hard work after an aggressive 18. I'm glad I got that out of the way today, tomorrow is forecast to be very windy with lashing rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sat 27th: 22.33 @ 6:38 m/m The last 5 were under 6:30 but they were hard work after an aggressive 18. I'm glad I got that out of the way today, tomorrow is forecast to be very windy with lashing rain.

That's one run to tell the grandkids. Kudos on doing the final five at that pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thur 25th 10 @ 7:02 m/m - Felt tired. At the start my plan was to do 8 on Thur and another 8 on Fri. Changed my plan half way around and decided to add on another 2 and rest on Fri. I knew I was fatigued and that it would take a full day of rest to recover.

Fri 26th: Rest

Thats some running , whats your target for the marathon again? My legs hurt just thinking about that run

Sun 28th Feb: 7.22 @ 7:30 m/m Nice recovery, felt good so I made sure not to up the pace.

Thanks donothoponpop & Shels. I'll admit I double checked the splits this morning to make sure I hadn't made a mistake. My target is sub 2:50. Anything else would be a bonus.

Monday March 1st: 10 @ 7:07m/m Felt good but my legs didn't want to turnover any faster than 7 m/m
    Tuesday March 2nd: 12 @ 6:43 m/m avg. Came in early today so I could get this done at lunch.

4 x 2 miles with 2 mins rec
    2.4 warm up, 1 cooldown.

5:52
    5:59
    6:05
    6:06

Found a nice 1 mile stretch of uninterrupted path that's pretty much flat. Out and back for the 2 miles.
    Was a bit annoyed that I did the first one too fast. It put me under pressure for the remainder of the session. Stupid.
    If I'm totally honest the first one was faster than 5:52, I backed off on the last 200 meters, but the damage was done by then.

I know its a bit late but just saw this. That is one savage run. You must be very confident...hope the rest of the run in goes well for you

Wed 3rd March: 6.25 @ 7:23 m/m: Lunchtime recovery run. That Tuesday 4 x 2 is a bit of a monster. I really felt that I needed that recovery.
    Thur 4th March: 24 @ 7:11 m/m I'm heading back to Ireland for the weekend and I wont be able to do a long run. I plan on racing the following weekend so I didn't want to give up 2 long runs and this was the only slot I could do it in(even if it did mean heading out the door at 06:30)

Pulled the pace right back. It was an easy choice; 3 hard workouts in 6 days would have been too much. Used the opportunity to experiment with gels. One right before I began, a bottle of Luc sport at 8.5 and another gel with some water at 17. Will do the same on a harder long run. If I have no problems I'll go with that.
    I know its a bit late but just saw this. That is one savage run. You must be very confident...hope the rest of the run in goes well for you

Thanks. I don't think I can bring myself to use the confident word. The memory of being out on my feet 20 miles into a marathon still lives on in my head. Racing it versus running hard on long runs are different beasts. I don't think I could have done much more in this cycle so if I get to the start injury free and fail at 2:50 then so be it, its not meant to be.

• Advertisement

Fri 5th March: AM 4.26 @ 7:27 m/m Nice but absolutely freezing. Lunchtime 6.22 @ 7:20 m/m Enjoyed taking it easy.

Sat 6th March: 8 miles off road.

Sun 7th March: Rest

Mon 8th March: 12 @ avg 6:50
    2.7 warm-up
    6 x 1 mile with 90 sec recovery
    5:49
    5:44
    5:47
    5:52
    5:45
    5:48
    2.6 cool-down