Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2010

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Very best of luck for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

2:58/59. devastated. Had to step off the course at 18. Had no choice. Was on target. Jogged/walked the rest. Will post details later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hard luck Derm. Well done for pushing through and finishing, savage time for having to walk/jog the last 8 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sh1te. Sorry to hear that dermCu. Not what your training deserved. Not a good day in the office for the boards runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Sorry dude. Really gutted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sorry to hear that. Every race, good or bad brings its lessons which can make us better the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Hard luck Dermo, we all have our bad days, you live to fight another day. Definetly not the time you deserved with your training and current form, no doubt you will be back too put things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sorry to hear that it wasnt your day Demcu. Your training was great and there is always a next time. Hope you continue to log!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

dermCu wrote: »
    2:58/59. devastated. Had to step off the course at 18. Had no choice. Was on target. Jogged/walked the rest. Will post details later.

Sorry to hear that Derm,sounds exactly like my memories of Dublin last year.
    Got to mile 20 at sub 3 pace and had to walk/jog the last 6.2....slouched home in 3:14...devastated also at the time,but bounced back quickly because i knew i was better than that time i posted.
    you will do the same,i have no doubt.
    Enjoy the rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Sorry to hear that. Just an off day and you'll be back. Great time for a run/walk from 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Not what your training deserved, hard luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

hard luck, but the bad days is what you learn from. You'll put that right next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hard luck DermCU. Hopefully you will recover quickly from this.
    The summers your oyster. You have a huge base in the bank with track, road or mountainracing at your mercy. Be positive and bounce back quickly...

I'll cut straight to the chase; at the start of mile 17 I was happy out, ticking off the miles until 20 when I could turn for home. By the end of mile 18 my race was over. The first sign of trouble was a general feeling of being a little unsteady on my feet then my vision stared to grey from the outside in. Like someone was putting blinkers over my eyes. In the end I didn't even make a choice to stop running it was that or keel over. So I stood off the course. I walked for a couple of minutes and things felt better. I thought maybe I could salvage something so I tried to get back but straight away knew I wasn't right. So walked again. I knew it was over and all I wanted to do was DNF. I had no more interest in the race. A cop asked me if I was ok, told him I was all right, he even let me send a text to my wife from his phone to tell her I was out. Walked along for a bit, pretty depressed. It dawned on me that the easiest way to finish was to jog out the remainder so that's what I did. At the time as far as I was concerned it was a DNF, I was just moving my body from A to B. It would have been too hard to battle through the crowds on the street.

I've no idea what went wrong. I started off with a 6:20 mile happy as Larry. All the way to halfway (1:21:20) I felt great. I was running well within myself.
    so much so that at halfway I had a full conversation with the guy that was beside me about the elite women who we could see going in the opposite direction.
    Got all my drinks and gels as planned. I slowed a little bit around the Isle of Dogs because it was windy and I wanted to make sure that I was ready to go at 20 but it didn't worry me at all. I don't think that I went out too fast.

I got checked out at the doctor this morning. She's running some tests so we'll see if anything comes of it. It would be nice to at least have a clue what happened. I don't even have any DOMS or muscle fatigue worth talking about. I'd happily run a few miles today. Thanks for the kind words all, much appreciated.

Some you win some you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

This will make you stronger and more hungry. You'll fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Your training deserved better. You'll figure it out and come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

It was a tough day derm - most of the stories I've heard so far have been of hard fought battles and missed targets. You're not alone, and you'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

You'll be back better and stronger next time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hopefully the doc will indicate a cause. Last year myself and d'pop were running well in Rotterdam and we thought, heading for sub-3, when both our energy levels dropped completely. Reckoned it was a food poisoning thing or something. Sometimes you know its your day, other times you know its not. Having said that the next marathon I did after that was my best, so next time DermCu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

dermCu wrote: »
    Got all my drinks and gels as planned.

How many gels and drinks did you take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Sounds like you might have something, too be comfortable at 13miles then 5miles later loosing your vision, hopefully the doc will be able to diagnose the problem. I know its early days, but no better way too bounce back, set another goal, have you got any in the pipeline.

After a few days walking around in shock, followed by a few days of being pissed off, followed by a weekend in Seville eating and drinking to excess I'm back running. I'm no closer to understanding what happened and to be honest I'm getting sick of even thinking about it. I'm just going to plough on and if it happens again at least I have a reproducible problem to address. It took me a while but at least now I can see that I've made big improvements in the last 6 months. As the cliché goes; the process is as important as the goal (That's what I'm telling myself so that I feel better about things!!)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    How many gels and drinks did you take?

I had a gel 20 mins before the start. Lucozade sport at 6.5 Gel at 10 & 15. Small amount of Lucozade sport at 17. Never felt low on energy. Sipped water at various points in between.
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    Sounds like you might have something, too be comfortable at 13miles then 5miles later loosing your vision, hopefully the doc will be able to diagnose the problem. I know its early days, but no better way too bounce back, set another goal, have you got any in the pipeline.

I'm doing a one-off event with some friends at the end of June. I'll need a week or two off after that to rest. Then I'll gear up for a marathon later in the year. Maybe Dublin or Florence, no decision made yet but which ever one I pick I'll give it a really good lash. I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks in August so I have to factor that into the plan as there's a real chance I'll do bugger all running for that 2 weeks.

Advertisement