Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperQ 50/82 not auto shutting off

Options
  • 01-12-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a Firebird SuperQ 50/82 that will not auto shut off when it reaches the selected temperature. I have changed the thermostat and still no better. If I leave the heat on it will just keep heating. Sometimes when I twist the temperature knob clockwise and anti-clockwise it will knock off. What are the chances of the new stat been faulty or could there be something else wrong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

How do you know ? Does the safety button hop out ? Does the water boil ? What temp do you set it to ? Try it at 60 degrees, or just barely up on the scale, if it is just a curved line.
    Are the probes in their sockets ? Could there be air trapped in the top of the boiler ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

Thanks Jim
    How do you know ? Well the boiler keeps going and the rads are untouchable.
    Does the safety button hop out ? Not sure what safety button you mean
    Does the water boil ? What temp do you set it to ? When I talk about setting the temp I mean by turning the regulator on the front of the boiler. There are no settings on this just low to high. I set it at the lowest *Anti clockwise) and the boiler never cuts out. The water does get to a very high temp.
    Try it at 60 degrees, or just barely up on the scale, if it is just a curved line.
    Are the probes in their sockets ? Yes
    Could there be air trapped in the top of the boiler ? Again I can't answer this. Wuldn't know how to check......

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

New Stat was faulty.

Closed........

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Have the very same ongoing problem with the model boiler for many years.
    Replaced stats twice and each time it resolved the problem for while but it returns. I am pretty sure the problem is air in the system causing the stats not to regulate the boiler and resulting in overheating.

I have the same problem with firebird super q. Can you give me any advice on to fix it. The system is very noisy but very little air in rads. Occassionally the boiler does not auto shut off and keeps running.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Ryan T wrote: »
    I have the same problem with firebird super q. Can you give me any advice on to fix it. The system is very noisy but very little air in rads. Occassionally the boiler does not auto shut off and keeps running.
    Thank you

What kind of noise ? the loud sound of the boiler/burner running (get it serviced), or the sound of air in the pipes, or rattling sound of boiling water ?.
    If there is air in the top of the boiler, it may cause the water in the boiler to boil because the stat fails to shut off. Does the flow pipe from the top of the boiler turn down to the ground - is there a vent on the pipe ?
    Jim.

Thanks JamesM

The noise is like air in the system but when i bleed rads there is no air. Will look for vent on pipe and get back to you but I am a novice so can you tell me which pipe, what it may look like, and where would I find it

Thanks again

Thanks JamesM

The noise is like air in the system but when i bleed rads there is no air. Will look for vent on pipe and get back to you but I am a novice so can you tell me which pipe, what it may look like, and where would I find it
    Thanks again

There could be a vent on the hot water pipe as it leaves the top of the boiler, or somewhere along it before it goes down to the ground. There may be a pipe branching off it going up. If there is there may be a vent on it, or because it rises there may be no need for a vent. It all depends on the system. A vent can be like a rad vent, needs a key, or an automatic vent, has a screw cap on a brass cylinder. Even if there is no air in the rads, there could be a lack of water in the system, Have you checked that the pressure is up in the system, may be a filler valve in the hotpress - look for lots of other posts on this subject.
    Jim.

Hi James M

Took picture of pipework behind boiler. Are any of these what i am looking for

Hi James M

Took picture of pipework behind boiler. Are any of these what i am looking for

There is no vent at the tpo of the boiler, unless it is at the other side. Looks like you have a leak at the safety valve, red knob. Maybe the pressure in the system is too high, or it could be that the seal is just worn - air could be getting in there, if the pressure is low. Is there an obvious valve in the hotpress for filling the system ? Is there a gauge anywhere that shows the pressure in the system. Also check that the arrow on the side of the red circulating pump is pointing down.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Hi Jim

Was trying to bleed the system at that safety valve so there is a small leak!
    There is a red valve in the hotpress i think- is it like a circular handle that you can twist.
    There is no gauge to indicate pressure

thank you for your help Jim

The only other things I can think of are, don't have the boiler stat too high, 70 should be high enough. And, if there are 3 speeds on the circulating pump (and if it's on the fastest), try the middle setting. You may be hearing the sound of water when the room thermostat closes the motorised valve.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Occassionally the boiler does not auto shut off and keeps running.

I see you have a motorised valve beside your boiler does this stick open when your boiler does not switch off , if not it may need a new actuator

Hi Sullzz

how would i know if the valve is not working properly- what can i look for

Thanks

Advertisement