Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have the floods made you more careful...

Options
  • 01-12-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

...about conserving water?

For anyone who's had their water supply interrupted, what did you do to make the most of it?

- Collect rainwater for flushing toilet?
    - Avoid flushing as much?
    - Recycle water used to boil spuds to wash dishes? :D

Would you continue?

What about anyone who wasn't affected? Would it make you more aware of the gallons of water used every day that could be reduced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

People will continue to conserve water as some token gesture before they go back to whatever behaviour suited them before the flood.

That is, until next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

People will continue to conserve water as some token gesture before they go back to whatever behaviour suited them before the flood.

That is, until next time...

Cynic :p

Malari wrote: »
    Cynic :p

A cynic, is what an idealist calls a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have to agree. I cant believe the amount of water I use daily... Just the amount of water it takes to flush the toilet was a shock to me.

Then again it did shock me as to how little water the shower uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Still have no water, and you can be damn sure City Hally won't be giving me a 2 week discount on my water & refuse, so when it does come on, I'm going to run the taps solid for a month to make it even.

• Advertisement

A cynic, is what an idealist calls a realist.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect many people to change their behaviour.
    Still have no water, and you can be damn sure City Hally won't be giving me a 2 week discount on my water & refuse, so when it does come on, I'm going to run the taps solid for a month to make it even.

See this attitude makes me angry. :mad:

It was in jest, I'm sure.

It was in jest, I'm sure.

Well, yeah, I don't think he was actually going to run taps, but it's the "not my fault, gotta blame someone else, someone else will pay" attitude.

It doesn't cost anything for everyone to conserve a few extra litres of water a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...about conserving water?

For anyone who's had their water supply interrupted, what did you do to make the most of it?

- Collect rainwater for flushing toilet?
    - Avoid flushing as much?
    - Recycle water used to boil spuds to wash dishes? :D

Would you continue?

What about anyone who wasn't affected? Would it make you more aware of the gallons of water used every day that could be reduced?

I think everyone was affected in one way or another. Like my water didn't go thankfully but I was still affected by it. I had to put up with people whinging about it all week in work. Had friends and family calling down to my place to have showers. They called just as I was getting the hose out to wash the car. Fuming I was :mad:

Well, yeah, I don't think he was actually going to run taps, but it's the "not my fault, gotta blame someone else, someone else will pay" attitude.

What are you talking about? What am I supposed to be denying accountability for - because you haven't made that clear.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? What am I supposed to be denying accountability for - because you haven't made that clear.

Well the floods and the associated water supply interruption of course. It wasn't your fault. It wasn't really anyone's fault. that's what I was trying to say.

I just wanted to see if anyone had changed their attitude to water wastage. Trying to be positive for a change. I guess I got my answer. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure anyone here really wastes water. It's unhygenic not to flush the loo after you poo, and not to shower. The only time I can think of water being wasted is by using a dishwasher for a few dishes - we don't use the dishwasher at all in our house, or leaving the tap running while brushing your teeth.
    Well the floods and the associated water supply interruption of course.

Please explain to me, how my leaving a tap running could cause a flood, or a breakdown in the water supply systems of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It did make me think alright. We're pretty wasteful with water. It takes 8 litres to flush away a little bit of piss, and we do it with water that has been treated to be drinkable. Leaky pipes never get fixed, people don't have to pay for it so they'll say "what's the point?". I'll probably get slated for this, but I think water usage should be metered. That way those who waste it pay more, those who conserve it will pay less. In theory anyway.

cornbb wrote: »
    I think water usage should be metered. That way those who waste it pay more, those who conserve it will pay less. In theory anyway.

Bad bad bad bad idea. I'm on the house committee for a large building in the city, which is now paying to have its water metered. The smell from the toilets in the morning is revolting, because at night time they turn off the urinal water supply to conserve water.

I know a home is not the same, but we start letting pee build up in toilets, the airbourne bacteria in a home aren't going to do anyone any favours - and those with marginal hygiene are going to wait until after three or four poos are in there too. They'll think keeping the lid down is enough, and aside from that, I don't want to be afraid to wash my car because of the amount of money it might cost.

I'm not sure anyone here really wastes water. It's unhygenic not to flush the loo after you poo, and not to shower. The only time I can think of water being wasted is by using a dishwasher for a few dishes - we don't use the dishwasher at all in our house, or leaving the tap running while brushing your teeth.

Please explain to me, how my leaving a tap running could cause a flood, or a breakdown in the water supply systems of the city.

What? No, you have it the other way around. The floods caused your water shortage. You implied that you would run taps for 2 weeks, or whatever, to get your own back in some way. My point is that sometimes there is no-one who can be blamed, yet people try to point fingers anyway.

Can we get the thread back on track? This is not why I started this! I wanted to hear from people (if there are any) who have seen the amount of water that is used in a household daily and think they can reduce that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Bad bad bad bad idea. I'm on the house committee for a large building in the city, which is now paying to have its water metered. The smell from the toilets in the morning is revolting, because at night time they turn off the urinal water supply to conserve water.

That's just as a result of stinginiess on behalf of whoever is controlling the taps. If metering were implemented properly, for everyone, it would result in reduced costs for water treatment without depriving anyone of water that is actually needed, as it would encourage the prevention of water loss. I wouldn't regard car washing or flushing urinals to be wastage - even after you pay for those things you should end up paying less in the end anyway. The way it is right now, your tax is subsidising water usage for those who use/waste massive amounts. Golf courses, swimming pools, people who leave the taps running all day.

Metered water usage = sensible water usage = everyone pays less, except those who use/waste massive amounts.

Great in principle, but it'll never work like that. When a council introduces a tax, it's never about being fair - it's always always always about making money. They'll tax businesses more, and they'll tax individuals harsly, and then use some green excuse to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I wasn`t effected by it, but I know a guy who had a rainwater collection system, it was a lifesaver for him because he could at least flush the jacks. I think you could probaby live with the rest, but having to haul the massive amounts of water for the toliet or get a chemical one would be way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

How does the city hall charge you for your water - I don't pay for my water - in fact city hall dont get a penny off me for anything. Or am I missng something. BTW private compnay takes away my rubbish.

Advertisement