Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue - what would you do?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

You work in a small company, a subsidiary of a successful outfit in another country. There are two full-time employees - you and your boss, who is from the country where the parent company is based. You're responsible for developing the product/service, he is responsible for everything else. The product/service you're producing is excellent, but there's one snag: nice and all as he is, your boss is a fking dimwit.

While you were prepared to overlook certain foibles - getting taken for a ride by contractors, etc. - as understandable when doing business in a new area, and happy enough to fix the spelling/grammar on anything significant that went out from the company, it's getting worse and worse. Everything that the boss has to do is being put on the long finger. In fact, you're starting to wonder whether he's doing any work at all.

But here's the kicker: the company is getting ripped off as a result of his incompetence. Last week, a former contractor defrauded the company of money in a transparent fashion. A basic check would have uncovered what this person had done. Your boss didn't do the basic check. This money could be easily recovered with any credible threat , but your boss won't do it. He's clearly covering his arse.

You love this job, and you're afraid that this fkwit at the top is going to ruin everything. What should be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What should be done?

1 Job hunting, on your part.

2 Do you have any relationship with people from the parent company? Is it possible that the boss has been placed here to get him out of harms way? That the don't actually care about their reputation in this market, so are happy to let him destroy it? In which case, point 1) becomes more important than ever!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know some of the HQ people, a good smart bunch. As far as I know, they're genuinely serious about this market. I just don't think they're fully aware of how hopeless this person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to find subtle ways of letting them know, then.

Don't complain directly (he's the boss). Just find "ways". What they are depends on your company's approach, but I'm sure they are there.

Advertisement