Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice problem

Options
  • 01-12-2009 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My theory is that Mice have an extremely acute sense of smell. Their nose is their periscope, radar and broadband connection. They use it to locate food, mates, heat and to detect danger. They trust it and rely on it.
    Last night I heard a racket taking place in the attic so I sprayed Air Freshener up there. I sprayed it under the stairs, in the hot press and behind furniture. Not a huge amount but I'm convinced with their senstivity they'll hate it. I don't think they like their own scent being compromised either so I'm confident they'd rather be somewhere else. Which makes at least two of us! I know it's only the next day but I haven't heard a peep since. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

be carefull blocking up vents - they are needed to stop your house getting "damp" and also to get rid of Carbon Monoxide which can kill you, try stuffing holes with wire wool - they hate eating/burrowing through it. I also heard that if you have peppermint oil - and in fact as i google it - http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Mice-Naturally - tada!
    Try peppermint oil. Peppermint oil is a natural deterrent. The smell is simply too intense for rodents and they will not try to go near it. It also helps to mask the scent of any tasty morsels that have been missed when cleaning. You can get peppermint oil in most health food stores and even some major grocery stores. Place a drop or two on a cotton ball. Place the cotton balls in areas where mice are likely to enter your house, by doorways or heat vents, etc. Another helpful deterrent is to grow peppermint plants near the entryways. You can use the mint in cooking as well as it serving a deterrent purpose.

there's more ideas on that site - we had mice last year, tried the plug in things useless, got lots of traps and killed about half a dozen or more, don't get me wrong, I didn't like killing them, used to keep mice as a kid, but when you have them chewing through your house - especially cables, it's dangerous to have them.

Advertisement