Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Changing Free Meteor Minutes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jimoc wrote: »
    The reason they do this is so that people look at the fact that their current bundle gives them the same as the cheaper bundle, they then swap to the cheaper bundle and get locked into another 12 month contract.

is that all?
    It's a mates house so no worries about taht..hell..we don't even use the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I know it's unfortunate for you guys but ComReg are very anti-Eircom, to the extent that they let other companies pretty much have whatever packages they want, prevent Eircom from selling similar ones at a similar price. As well as this they don't mind other companies basically slandering Eircom in their advertisements.

It's evident they wouldnt mind if Eircom went bust but I can safely assure you the change in these packages is down to ComReg's interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

jimoc wrote: »
    The reason they do this is so that people look at the fact that their current bundle gives them the same as the cheaper bundle, they then swap to the cheaper bundle and get locked into another 12 month contract.

Exactly that's what they want people to do. It's sickening really. They have got alot of people to switch to meteor based on this package and now they pull the plug leaving people with the hassle of having to potentially switch phone, broadband AND mobile providers. And once again there's is nothing the ordinary consumer can do about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And once again there's is nothing the ordinary consumer can do about it.

Vote with your feet and move provider--thats the best thing the ordinary consumer can do about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Venom wrote: »
    UPC do not throttle any torrents that Iv seen. Rapidshare tho is kinda meh with them.

Hmm, I get full 20meg down with Rapidshare premium, not sure whats up there, can't comment on torrents as I don't really use those things, when I did download well seeded torrents though (Game demos, Linux isos etc) they seemed to go full speed? Can't confirm if they throttle torrents only at peak hours though, but certainly rapidshare is full speed always

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Vote with your feet and move provider--thats the best thing the ordinary consumer can do about it.

Is it though?? I mean aside from all the hassle of changing there's the issue that comreg says company X can't charge a certain price because it's too low and unfair on the competition, that price has to go up to match the other competitors meaning the consumer gets screwed either way. How can prices go down for the consumer if the regulator is saying...'low prices are not allowed'?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Or to translate ".....let's get the consumer to pay more for a worse service..."

This is typical...why does anti-competitive waffle from regulators usually end up with the punter paying more for crap service.

If the other companies couldn't match the offer then that's their tough. But this is good old Ireland...get the punter to pay more at all costs.

BTW nothing on the comreg website about this if it is true that they were behind it.

Ring them and ask.. its just the meteor minutes thats being pulled, you'll still get unlimited landline calls plus 30 any network mobiles for the same price.

You're right thou Comreg doesnt work, they set Eircoms prices quite high and allow the others to set theirs just below so the consumer loses out in the end. Upc would be a great alternative if their customer service was so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well' with Meteor's new billpay prices, you cannot, IMHO, lose. Nothing comes near 20 yoyos a month for 200 mins & 200 texts. OK, its an 18 month contract, but its still a no brainer for me. Wonder what Imgine's offers are like for line & broadband ? How widely available is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Hellrazer wrote: »

The annoying thing is, that even with this reduction in the number of minutes, Eircom are still cheaper for me then any of the other offerings :(

Because my wife is out of work at the moment and is home all day, we need to keep unlimited local calls during daytime, which eircom is still cheapest with.

I just have to wean her off ringing the mobiles now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

is there anywhere on the boards planet that compares
    1) phone services costs with broadband.
    2) phone broadband and tv services costs.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

I got the letter too..

Once imagine launch WiMax near me, I'm jumping ship, it's only €45 p/m for 7Mbps broadband and unlimited local & national calls with Imagine compared to €57.16 for 3Mbps broadband and 500mins local & national calls with Eircom.

I know who wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

i got the letter from eircom too

i dont get it , on the tv they say more and more people switching back to eircom and yet there upping their charge ????

more like people leaving and recouping the loss

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭iknorr

---€67 for eircom 7mb 48:1, local & national calls , 30 mins free mobile calls..
    ---€56 Smart 7mb 1:1, local and national calls, competitive mobile rates which vary from Day, evening, weekend.
    ---€52 Vodafone 7mb offering 20% less than eircom or 30% less if u have a Vodafone phone. You gotta order it online though.
    Here's the link to check the vodafone offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Voltwad wrote: »
    I know it's unfortunate for you guys but ComReg are very anti-Eircom, to the extent that they let other companies pretty much have whatever packages they want, prevent Eircom from selling similar ones at a similar price. As well as this they don't mind other companies basically slandering Eircom in their advertisements.

It's evident they wouldnt mind if Eircom went bust but I can safely assure you the change in these packages is down to ComReg's interference.

Em... That's because ConReg can't regulate the packages of the other providers until they attain a certain level of market share which none ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Anybody noticed another mean thing in those yesterday's letters? They also redefined the peak times, now it's from 07:00 to 19:00 including all holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maz81

Got the same letter this morning its a disgrace that we just have to accept this it say "due to high customer calling patterns it is no longer possible to maintain this eircom talktime bundle"

I am in the process of looking at other providers to see if i can get a better deal!

Got the same letter too.... what a cheek and then to say that there,s no penalty for you to get out of the contract yet they can up the price whenever they want, hardly a binding contract!!!

Think i will be on the look to move too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If they change the contract does these mean you can get out of it? Been waiting to change broadband at home since the censorship issue but was stuck in the contract...

Does homevision enforce the 20Gb per month limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

lakalaka wrote: »
    Joziah Small Racist. I work for HomeVision and we provide broadband, telephone and TV in most parts of Dublin and outside of this, we provide Broadband and Telephone nationwide. We are much cheaper than Eircom but more importantly, we don't renage on our contracts or change the terms. We don't give away services for nothing like Eircom did with their mobile call packages. What you see is what you get with us and we think that it is good value. I will be happy to answer any questions for you if I have the tiime but I still have to do my day job!!! Check us out at www.homevision.ie. Also we are giving away interactive whiteboards to Schools on a referral program (schools.homevision.ie)

Why doesn't yer website work?

:D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If they change the contract does these mean you can get out of it? Been waiting to change broadband at home since the censorship issue but was stuck in the contract...

The letter says that
    you can, of course, withdraw from your current contract without penalty by informing us prior to 31st December 2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Can anyone see on their site how much it would be to keep their 7mb broadband but just have the phone there for incoming calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Bundle it with chatter, works out cheaper. 61.99 per month. If you upgrade to 7mb you get the first three months for 46.99 i think.
    Also Eircom are launch adsl2 in the new year starting with Dublin. The plan is 2 upgrade all customer who can avail of it up to 8mb for the price of 3..

oppiuy wrote: »
    Also Eircom are launch adsl2 in the new year starting with Dublin. The plan is 2 upgrade all customer who can avail of it up to 8mb for the price of 3..
    Do you have a link to this? I was going to post a thread asking if Eircom will be upgrading their speeds. This is excellent news. What will 7mb be upgraded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

oppiuy wrote: »
    Bundle it with chatter, works out cheaper. 61.99 per month. If you upgrade to 7mb you get the first three months for 46.99 i think.

are you answering me there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

On the ComReg site.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0931.pdf

Nothing to do with eircom directly. They have been forced to shelve these tariffs. I know the Meteor minutes were reduced from 500 to 200 in later versions of the package, but it's a shame to have them down to just 30 mins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I got the letter too, I'm on the 3mb Talktime Friends Bundle.

Just curious, what happens if I don't do anything? They say I can withdraw from the Contract without any penalties prior to 31st December. If I don't withdraw, and don't change bundles, I'll still be on the Talktime Friends Bundle next year, right? Will that effectively be a new 12 month contract? If it is, does that mean I can't withdraw from it then until those 12 months are over?

We barely use our house phone, and any calls are in the evening, so reducing the calls to 250 mins doesn't bother us at all. Are the new Peak times ( 7am-7pm as quoted on the Chatter Bundle ) just for the Chatter Bundle or for all Bundles? Actually, I just had a look at the Terms and Conditions, and the 7-7 seems to apply to the new bundles only, though I might be wrong...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

chrislad wrote: »
    On the ComReg site.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0931.pdf

Nothing to do with eircom directly. They have been forced to shelve these tariffs. I know the Meteor minutes were reduced from 500 to 200 in later versions of the package, but it's a shame to have them down to just 30 mins now.
    They seem to want the company closed. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

what's the story with BT ireland? no explanation of their bundles at all.

http://www.btireland.ie/home/rates_combined.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

what's the story with BT ireland? no explanation of their bundles at all.

http://www.btireland.ie/home/rates_combined.shtml

this might explain

http://www.btireland.ie/home/vodafone_customernotification.shtml

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

They seem to want the company closed.

I wouldn't have thought so, more likely they want to stop them using their incumbent position to rip people off.

Advertisement