Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Changing Free Meteor Minutes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

ardmacha wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so, more likely they want to stop them using their incumbent position to rip people off.
    Ripping them off by giving them cheaper deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

More stop them using their position to give them an unfair advantage over their competition. Though not sure why ComReg would suddenly start now when they've done nothing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

The ComReg ruling relates to 1MB and 3MB based bundled products, so why are those of us on the 7MB bundles getting these rediculous letters?

I have a relation who works for Eircom and I was told that Eircom were being forced to change the 1MB and 3MB plans (as per the ComReg ruling) but that the 7MB packages would remain as is.

I'm going to write to Eircom and to ComReg and seek clarity on this before deciding if I will be leaving Eircom and moving from Meteor.

Anybody got any more details on this matter regarding 7MB packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

ComReg has far stricter rules for Eircom due to their market size. They restrict severely what they can offer customers and then allow other companies to slander them in their advertising. It's beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

ev612337 wrote: »
    The ComReg ruling relates to 1MB and 3MB based bundled products, so why are those of us on the 7MB bundles getting these rediculous letters?

I have a relation who works for Eircom and I was told that Eircom were being forced to change the 1MB and 3MB plans (as per the ComReg ruling) but that the 7MB packages would remain as is.

I'm going to write to Eircom and to ComReg and seek clarity on this before deciding if I will be leaving Eircom and moving from Meteor.

Anybody got any more details on this matter regarding 7MB packages?

didnt eircom change a lot of people from 3mb to 7mb broadband without any further cost.
    so in theory even though you were getting 7mb or so they say, you were still on the 3mb contract, thus the reason why people are being dropped from 7mb broadband.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭iknorr

rameire wrote: »
    didnt eircom change a lot of people from 3mb to 7mb broadband without any further cost.
    so in theory even though you were getting 7mb or so they say, you were still on the 3mb contract, thus the reason why people are being dropped from 7mb broadband.

Eircom bumped me up a few times over the years from 512kbps to 1mb and so on. Im at 3mb since last year,. Has anyone talked with them about the 7mb bundle.
    I asked a few weeks ago about moving up to 7mb and was told it would cost an extra 10 yoyos.
    I honestly dont wanna move to vodafone, but if eircom continues this or doesn't offer a new bundle in the next few weeks ill move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 9233fh

Soo annoyed at Eircom:mad:. I got that letter also which was followed by a telephone call from Eircom Sales asking us to change talktime packages. As we only had 1mb broadband I was considering a change anyway so I got the talktime package details from the Sales Rep and said that I'd consider it. The 1mb was causing problems with x-box and 2 laptops and it would be good to have faster broadband for Christmas and besides the free meteor calls would be gone at the end of Dec anyway. A week later (6th Dec) I rang back and changed to 3mb broadband, unlimited local and national calls and 30 mins mobile for 56.99 pm. I asked how soon I'd lose the free meteor calls and was told that this would happen that day and that the broadband speed would be upgraded within 24 hours. I got my bill today and nearly collapsed:eek: . I was charged for all the meteor calls for Nov and up to 6th Dec??? (almost €80) When I rang Eircom to enquire as to what the hell they were at - I was told - wait for it - I should have read the terms and conditions!! A bit late to be informed this after the event and I certainly wasn't referred to terms and conditions by the sales rep. Apparently, the 7th Dec is the end of the billing period and if I'd waited until then to change, then I wouldn't have been retrospectively charged for the meteor calls? Well obviously if I had been informed of this, then I would have waited!! I feel a letter to ComReg in the offing. I also rang the sales rep back and she had no idea that this was the case!!! Anyone else have a similar experience? Be warned!
    Btw, did I mention that I really dislike Eircom:mad: and since we moved from Imagine last year we've had loads of trouble!

jasonb wrote: »
    I got the letter too, I'm on the 3mb Talktime Friends Bundle.

Just curious, what happens if I don't do anything? They say I can withdraw from the Contract without any penalties prior to 31st December. If I don't withdraw, and don't change bundles, I'll still be on the Talktime Friends Bundle next year, right? Will that effectively be a new 12 month contract? If it is, does that mean I can't withdraw from it then until those 12 months are over?

We barely use our house phone, and any calls are in the evening, so reducing the calls to 250 mins doesn't bother us at all. Are the new Peak times ( 7am-7pm as quoted on the Chatter Bundle ) just for the Chatter Bundle or for all Bundles? Actually, I just had a look at the Terms and Conditions, and the 7-7 seems to apply to the new bundles only, though I might be wrong...

J.

Did u ever get an answer for this?

I think they cant actually force u into a new 12 month contract. i think ull just continue with the new package for 2 euro extra and 30 mins meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Well I switched to Vodafone today, hardly much other choice. unlimited calls to landlines anytime, 3Mb Broadband, 40Gb Cap, 200Mins to favorite vodafone mobiles & including line rental for €45 a month, seems a good deal. I'm actually saving €10, but ofcourse no free calls to meteor... so the kids will just have to go back to skype.

mi going to hold off until january, they must come out with a better offer or at least bump everyone up to the 8mb adsl2+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

iknorr wrote: »
    mi going to hold off until january, they must come out with a better offer or at least bump everyone up to the 8mb adsl2+

Its the maximum speed your line can take. And think, if everyone is getting such a speed how are they gonna distinguish between packages?

Its the maximum speed your line can take. And think, if everyone is getting such a speed how are they gonna distinguish between packages?

Physically, Our lines were updated about 2 years ago. New fibers to a switch not to far from the house & new cables entering the house. .
    I dont see a problem with 8mbs, even on the non updated lines.

As i mentioned earlier i have been bumped up a few times over the years. they could do something like 1=>4mbs 3=>8mbs 7=>24mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

iknorr wrote: »
    Physically, Our lines were updated about 2 years ago. New fibers to a switch not to far from the house & new cables entering the house. .
    I dont see a problem with 8mbs, even on the non updated lines.

As i mentioned earlier i have been bumped up a few times over the years. they could do something like 1=>4mbs 3=>8mbs 7=>24mbs

What I meant was you will get up to 8mb. Some will get 2 while others the full 8

They can give you all the speed in the world but if the download allowance is too low and they start to charge for it. I mean ifeveryone gets the same speeds then obviously they have to charge for the download.

well Eircon can bugger off.
    I have now signed up To Vodafone for Mobile, Home phone and broadband.

if you sign over your mobile to vodafone and then change your landline and broadband you get a discount on your monthly tele/band bill.

so to get the extra discount you have to be a vodafone mobile customer

got the 3mb anytime package so its only 40 per month, wooooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

rameire wrote: »
    well Eircon can bugger off.
    I have now signed up To Vodafone for Mobile, Home phone and broadband.

if you sign over your mobile to vodafone and then change your landline and broadband you get a discount on your monthly tele/band bill.

so to get the extra discount you have to be a vodafone mobile customer

got the 3mb anytime package so its only 40 per month, wooooooo.

plus the fact if you port to vodafone bill pay on perfect choice 200 and above they're doubling your free mins and texts for 12 months-offer ends 06/01/2010 making it yet even better value

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

podge018 wrote: »
    Can anyone see on their site how much it would be to keep their 7mb broadband but just have the phone there for incoming calls?
    You need to allow outbound calls if you want to have broadband I'm sure..
    I just realised tonight my maximum speed. How can this be increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

With Vodafone, their service for just broadband and phone line rental (no bundled calls at all) is available at http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 merlinssword

I was onto Eircom to cancel my 3mb broadband due to the loss of free meteor minutes and I was offerered a new talktime option called talktime everyday which includes free anytime local and national calls plus 200 free meteor calls per month for 29.99 per month. This package does not come with a broadband bundle so the 3mb broadband will cost an additional 30.11 per month bringing the total to 60.10 per month.
    They neglected to mention when they were talking to me that the 29.99 is for the first 6 months and then goes upto 35.99 bringing it to 66.10 per month for talktime and 3mb broadband after 6 months (see link below). However I was told that I am not tied into another 12 month contract by taking this offer

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

I cant seem to find it on their website.
    Do u think they just offered u this package due to u cancelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 merlinssword

When I called to cancel I as initially offered the 30 mobile minutes. I explained that this option was only worth 6 euro and now wanted to cancel. I was then told that I would be put through to the cancellation section. The person I then spoke to asked me for my phone number and why I was cancelling. I explained that the only reason I switched to Eircom was the free meteor minutes. He then offered me this new talktime everyday option and explained that it was not part of a broadband bundle but with broadband would cost me around 60 euro a month and included all local and national calls plus 200 free meteor minutes. I have not seen any details on their website about this talktime package but that is what I am now switched to. Maybe it is the option that they offer when you goto cancel and are not advertising it at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Also received one of those letters. Until today I'm on 3meg talktime family bundle. Went online today and 'upgraded' to talktime talker 3meg bundle. It means I'm signing up to another 12 months but according to the blurb I'll get 10euro off for each of first 3 months and then 56.75 per month. Unlimited local and national calls and 30min any network mobile calls per month. Rang up to confirm I'd be getting the 3months discount and was told I would (beleive it when I see it). Once 30minutes used up on mobiles I'll use call13434.ie as I have been for last couple of years. (mobile calls 10c/min weekdays and 5c/min weekends, also landline calls to UK and Canada 1c/min, and 2c per min Australia)

Incidentally - the eircom website quotes slightly different prices to the mailshot I received - Eircom operator informed me this was due to vat changes not being shown on website :confused:

i have now completed my change to vodafone, nice helpful bunch they are.
    thanks to eircon who decided to just cut my broadband off today before the line rental period was up, i think i shall be forwarding them a letter to get a refund of the broadband package and line rental.
    and the same package i am on now as i was with eircon is now 15 euro cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Well, it's "making my mind up" time for either Eircom or Vodafone, so I am wondering if any Vodafone Bundles user could please tell me, if there are obvious drawbacks with the system, which they discovered, once they became a user?.

well I just switched to vodafone, and reconfigured my router on sunday evening. as always when switching, they don't ship their router prior to the switch. but reconfiguring was as easy as changing the login details. speed has improved. I'm back to the speed I had with digiweb. but without the 20gb cap! now 40gb. I recieved the new router today and it is a nice router for a home router. you can connect an external Hard drive, usb printer or even a 3G usb modem for backup. it's certainly the nicest router I have had and I have had a few. so far happy out, I'm saving money too. thanks Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Is there any downtime in the change over with either the phoneline or broadband or is it fairly pain free?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I've got Eircom and I've regularly been exceeding my 30Gb per month quota without them ever inforcing it.
    Do Vodafone inforce their quota or charge for the overuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

jimoc wrote: »
    I've got Eircom and I've regularly been exceeding my 30Gb per month quota without them ever inforcing it.

Wondering If you could tell me if there's a way of finding out how much you've downloaded in the month - I'm with eircom and think I've exceeded limit but not sure how to check and don't want to get hit with possible extra charges (it's expensive enough already)

Not an answer to your question I'm afraid but the stereotypical Irish tendency to answer a question with another question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

jimoc wrote: »
    They don't penalize you, like some other companies do. I wouldnt be surprised if you got a letter though, maybe just recommending you upgrade or something.

no obvious downtime for me, except the time to find out vodafone's login details. which are username Vodafone@vodafone.ie password vodafone. granted I was about an hour before I thought it must be the switch over and not the weather then another hour finding the username and password over edge on the iphone :) luckily I had internet to try it out and thus verify the switch. you get no other warning except that your internet connection stops working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Wondering If you could tell me if there's a way of finding out how much you've downloaded in the month - I'm with eircom and think I've exceeded limit but not sure how to check and don't want to get hit with possible extra charges (it's expensive enough already)

Not an answer to your question I'm afraid but the stereotypical Irish tendency to answer a question with another question :)

If you go to http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net
    there is a box at the side where you enter your phone number and account number and it gives you your upload and download stats and a pretty little graph for the current month.

Advertisement