Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating muck

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I just caught my dog, who had dug himself a little hole, eating the muck from the ground. Any ideas as to why? He had just been fed and watered about 30 mins prior to me catching him in the act.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not that unusual, my 10month old eats sods of dirt, bits of trees, leaves off the trees, bits of bark.. they tend to eat crap. Just make sure they don't get anything bad in the soil like plastic or any slug pellets/type stuff.
    You can also give a firm 'NO' when you catch him eating the soil, to try and make him stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

is it soil he's eating or "muck" (poop) - as Star-Pants say when you catch him give him a firm "No"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Paul91 wrote: »
    is it soil he's eating or "muck" (poop) - as Star-Pants say when you catch him give him a firm "No"

It's soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i wouldn't be too worried then - dogs eating grass/soil can just be there way of getting extra minerals/vitamins, as long as he's not eating bucket loads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Every so often our Bichon does that. Sometimes we don't catch her in the act and she comes looking like this....

picture.php?albumid=887&pictureid=4433

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

If your dog is doing this make sure they are wormed regularly

Advertisement