Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is beef fillet = steak fillet?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on trying something new this weekend, and the recipe I'm looking at (Beef stir fry, basically) calls for 200g beef fillet. Does that mean going out and buying a fillet steak and chopping it up? I've always thought that beef =/= steak, but I've never seen 'beef fillet' in tesco's.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

For me, they're one and the same.

I wouldn't use it for a stir-fry, I'd normally go for Sirloin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I wouldn't use it for a stir-fry, I'd normally go for Sirloin.
    And presumably take off all the fat, etc before frying?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, remove any sinew too. I normally slice it fairly thin and fry it quickly, it's very easy to over cook and won't take long. 200g will be fine but if you're ever cooking for a few people fry it off in parts so as not to boil* it in it's own juices.

*there's bound to be a better term for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, remove any sinew too. I normally slice it fairly thin and fry it quickly, it's very easy to over cook and won't take long. 200g will be fine but if you're ever cooking for a few people fry it off in parts so as not to boil* it in it's own juices.

*there's bound to be a better term for this?

Or you could:

Trim fat and sinew off steak and sear it on both sides in a 'hot as you can get it pan'. It should be very rare in the middle and a little charred on the outside.Then slice it up thinly and just add it at the end of cooking with any of the juices that have run out of it. It should just heat through and finish cooking without being overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I sometimes cut the fat off and fry it up, this liquifies the fat into the pan, it also means it can be binned and does not go stinky as quick as raw fat. Many would say animal fats are healthier to cook in than veg oil not to mention tastier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If I'm thinly slicing up steak for use in, say a Thai salad, I bung it in the freezer for a while first. It makes it much easier to slice thinly. It doesn't need to freeze solid, just firm up a bit, and you'll find when you cut the slices off, they defrost almost immediately.

Advertisement