Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Credit where it's due, the broad street/john roberts square area looks fantastic. The Carousel, the new Christmas banners, the markets...great job organisers!

gotta agree with all that,credit to them.pity about the amount of scobies hanging around that area now though,like flies to sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

According to the staff in the Bewley's kiosk, they're not just there for Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hope you're not talking about the Christmas Banners ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

merlante wrote: »
    According to the staff in the Bewley's kiosk, they're not just there for Christmas!

They said that to me too. I know you can always go in somewhere and buy a takeaway coffee to have while you're wandering, but it's nice to have somewhere so obvious that you can just walk up to and get a takeaway brew.

They do a savage rasher blaa too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah lads the kiosk is there for good. The City Council put out a request for expressions of interest back in May. The kiosk is owned by the owner of T&H Doolans.
    Coffee/Bar Kiosk-John Robert’s Square

Waterford City Council is seeking expressions of interest for the provision and operation of a “Coffee Bar/Kiosk” for hot and cold drinks and light refreshments to be located in John Roberts’ Square in the city centre. The sale of alcohol will not be permitted.

It is envisaged that this facility would be operating on a seven day a week basis throughout the day and into the evenings.

The City Council will, subject to the submission of a current tax clearance certificate and public liability insurance to a minimum of €6.5million, licence the operating area, which will allow for the coffee bar/kiosk and an appropriate amount of tables and chairs to complement it, to the successful applicant for a mutually agreed period of not less than three months.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/ExpressionOfInterest-CoffeeBarKiosk.doc
    fricatus wrote: »
    They do a savage rasher blaa too! :D
    Ohhh yes! Can't wait to try one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

well i blead in the name of waterford CITY rugby club with pride so yeah i call it waterford city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Does anybody else think the coffee kiosk is in an awkwad place?

I can understand the positioning of it at the moment in relation to the carosuel and the christmas tree, but when these are removed won't the kiosk be kinda plonked in a strange place in the square, facing a strange angle, very close to the shops (Pamela Scott & Heroes)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I've noticed the word 'Crystal' in the Waterford Crystal showrooms sign has been vandalised... lovely advertisement NOT for tourists/visitors passing by. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Chochese wrote: »
    Does anybody else think the coffee kiosk is in an awkwad place?

I can understand the positioning of it at the moment in relation to the carosuel and the christmas tree, but when these are removed won't the kiosk be kinda plonked in a strange place in the square, facing a strange angle, very close to the shops (Pamela Scott & Heroes)?
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. I'd say they'll move it once the tree and carousel are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I would go as far as to say carlow town is better for pubs and general night life than waterford city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

popcornic3ba6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

zombie-gnaws-on-imac.jpg

Don't like feeding these creatures but sorry I couldn't resist either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Then why are you and others continuing to promote this negativity and praise Kilkenny?

WTF!!! Pubs in the city centre (from http://www.ciddytours.com/):

97747.JPG

House and techno nights on every weekend, usually both Friday and Saturday nights in Electric Avenue, fairly well attended any time I've been in there. Other styles of music there and in Ryan's Bar and even the Wacky Apple have house & techno DJs playing tomorrow night.

what, people like you?

But Kilkenny isn't a city. What's better about Kilkenny though, really? Do they have more shops? I'm not sure but I don't think so. Do they have Spraoi? Do they have a facility like the Theatre Royal? Where's their house & techno clubs?

there is plenty to attract people in to the city centre. pubs, clubs, cinema, theatres, comedy clubs....what do you want?

Kilkenny is a city so get yer facts right. Im not goign to bother explaining what makes it a city, a quick search will show you.

Also I wouldnt agree with places wanting to drop their city status? Why on earth would you? Jesus if the locals dont even believe in their city whats the point :rolleyes:

Im dead proud of Kilkennys city status and if this thread was started in the kilkenny forum, there would be uproar and not only from myself but from other proud city dwellers.

Right now, at this moment in time I think Kilkenny is more worthy of the title "city" than we are.

Dont go turning this into another waterford vs kilkenny thing :rolleyes: Both citys have their highlights. Dunno why would you even write that crap in at the end?? What like we didnt deserve our title til you ok`d it is it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

wtf?

wtf?

I apologise for the rant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kilkenny is a city so get yer facts right

The world factbook of the CIA says different :pac:

/runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

Kilkenny is a city so get yer facts right. Im not goign to bother explaining what makes it a city, a quick search will show you.

Also I wouldnt agree with places wanting to drop their city status? Why on earth would you? Jesus if the locals dont even believe in their city whats the point :rolleyes:

Im dead proud of Kilkennys city status and if this thread was started in the kilkenny forum, there would be uproar and not only from myself but from other proud city dwellers.

We're mature enough in this City to have this debate,we're not so paranoid about some bloody nomenclature as to stifle debate.

We're mature enough in this City to have this debate,we're not so paranoid about some bloody nomenclature as to stifle debate.

whats your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not to stoke fire..................but in reality neither Kilkenny or Waterford are really regarded as cities outside of the respective areas. Not a big deal though really. It's about making the most of what you have.

Kilkenny does it better than Waterford though and I'm from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

waterford is known for being the oldest city in ireland. people on this forum stating that its not/shouldn't be a city etc. somehow think they're speaking for everyone when in fact its only their own limited vision that they're highlighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

What actually defines a city anyway? I know that the North has what we would regard as towns that are cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In Ireland a city council defines a city.Not sure what was the original reason for who got the official title of citys.Possibly something to do with trade so the ports id say played a big part along with historical significance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Not to stoke fire..................but in reality neither Kilkenny or Waterford are really regarded as cities outside of the respective areas. Not a big deal though really. It's about making the most of what you have.

Kilkenny does it better than Waterford though and I'm from Waterford.

....or Limerick or Galway or Cork - Dublin bearly makes it

In an irish context (Local Government Act 2001) there are only 5 official cities
    There are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & Waterford

Kilkenny is allowed to use the term city for historical reasons but does not have any more or less authority than a town, as it has a borough council and not a City Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_Act_2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

We're really not. There's no need to have this debate (again!) and certainly not in this thread.

Bards wrote: »
    ....or Limerick or Galway or Cork - Dublin bearly makes it

In an irish context (Local Government Act 2001) there are only 5 official cities
    There are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & Waterford

Kilkenny is allowed to use the term city for historical reasons but does not have any more or less authority than a town, as it has a borough council and not a City Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_Act_2001

So there you go, Kilkenny City.

Im just glad none of the Kilkenny crowd are involved in threads slating their own city and debating whether it deserves the title city or not.
    Be proud of the City ye have :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is a thread about Waterford and Waterford only, anymore of this Waterford V Kilkenny ****e and I am locking it. Lets keep it on its original topic please.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This is a thread about Waterford and Waterford only, anymore of this Waterford V Kilkenny ****e and I am locking it. Lets keep it on its original topic please.

Well I think it came up based on the last line of the 1st post. Just wondered why Kilkenny would be mentioned in the opening post of "a thread about waterford and waterford only".

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭edgy

Waterford is just a big town really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

subz3r0 wrote: »
    oh you forgot the Forum ))

+1
    The forum is class and round new years and sproai and halloween they seriously go all out, I'ev never seen that much effort put in in any other night club and its free in before 12 at the min. Ye should be proud!

Advertisement