Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q-Park rip-off !!!(Marlborought st., Dublin)

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I got a new job in city center a while ago and as I'm living outside Dublin I use to drive into work. As my company can't offer any parking space I'm using this private parking lots. Used a good few (all of them had a daily charge of 7 -10 €) but this Q-Park charged me 24€ for parking at them from 9:00 to 17:00. F-ing rip off....When I got to the service desk the guy smiled in my face.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

sz_danii wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I got a new job in city center a while ago and as I'm living outside Dublin I use to drive into work. As my company can't offer any parking space I'm using this private parking lots. Used a good few (all of them had a daily charge of 7 -10 €) but this Q-Park charged me 24€ for parking at them from 9:00 to 17:00. F-ing rip off....When I got to the service desk the guy smiled in my face.:mad::mad:

and who's fault is it that you never checked the big board with the prices on it before you drove in?

Rather than it being the rip-off ireland forum it should be renamed:

'I paid over the odds and now I have buyer's remorse'
    or
    'I was stupid with my money and now I want to blame someone'

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The car park I park in has on average 40 signs per level showing the way to the pay station and still the attendant gets asked where the pay station is.

So it doesn't matter how many signs or how big they are, people are not going to see them unless they flash bright yellow and hit them over the head every 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

whippet wrote: »
    and who's fault is it that you never checked the big board with the prices on it before you drove in?

Rather than it being the rip-off ireland forum it should be renamed:

'I paid over the odds and now I have buyer's remorse'
    or
    'I was stupid with my money and now I want to blame someone'

Do you really feel good in your smart-ass skin? I hope this happens to you every week at least once and then I hope you realise your ignorance and stupidity. Nobody asked for your smart-ass opinion anyway. Or ahhhh sorry your such a patriotic parrot that you don't care about the prices. Sorry my fault.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Do you really feel good in your smart-ass skin? I hope this happens to you every week at least once and then I hope you realise your ignorance and stupidity. Nobody asked for your smart-ass opinion anyway. Or ahhhh sorry your such a patriotic parrot that you don't care about the prices. Sorry my fault.....

Oh come on, did you expect someone not to have a go at you for the situation you put yourself in?

Don't come on a public forum if you don't fancy the prospect of getting 'feedback'.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Amalgam wrote: »
    Oh come on, did you expect someone not to have a go at you for the situation you put yourself in?

Don't come on a public forum if you don't fancy the prospect of getting 'feedback'.

:)) Good feedback though. I think you are all pedestrians and bicyclist that's what it is :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sz_danii, I guess you expected pity but your getting none, fun eh? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

:)) Good feedback though. I think you are all pedestrians and bicyclist that's what it is :pac:

Certainly a possibility, but you don't need to be a pedestrian, a cyclist or even a pilot to realise that you put yourself in this situation.

It's expensive, indeed a rip-off, but it's very much an easily avoidable rip-off. You've learned a lesson now and at least you're bringing this to the attention of other motorists - although I would have to imagine that those who wouldn't have checked the hourly/daily parking rate in any case will just end up parking somewhere else, not checking the price in that place and the cycle continues with another thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

In fairness to the OP, the majority of things posted in this forum are 'easily avoided' ripoffs (hash browns, anyone?).

However, if you don't check the prices when you go into a car park, you're asking for trouble. They don't have to explain the reason for the high charges, and by passing the sign and taking your parking ticket, you entered into an agreement to pay whatever they charge with no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I say good on you for pointing it out. I recently saw a sign for an overnight parking rate in Stephen's Green. Of course when I went to pay on the Sunday morning, it was many multiples of this. The disinterested deformity behind the desk told me that I had to book this online. Why are they putting big bloody signs up if nobody who sees the signs can take advantage of it.

Parking operations - multi storey and private clampers are all dodgy as hell, skirting the law and ripping off left, right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Do you really feel good in your smart-ass skin?
    Actually life is quite good for me at the moment, thanks for asking.
    I hope this happens to you every week at least once and then I hope you realise your ignorance and stupidity.

Actually, I tend to check the prices on things before I hand over my hard earned cash. So I am pretty sure this won't happen to me.
    Nobody asked for your smart-ass opinion anyway.

Apologies, I thought by posting in a public forum you were looking for people's opinions. I am just sorry I didn't feel the need to comfort you or just agree with your rant to make you feel better and that the world of car park attendents are not all out to get you.
    Or ahhhh sorry your such a patriotic parrot that you don't care about the prices.

I do care about prices, and that is why I like to think I am somewhat prudent with my money. I don't know what looking at a price list before buying has anything about being a patriotic parrot.

Anyway, I am sure the guy at the cash desk was probably right in having a laugh at your expense judging by the obvious charisma and tact you have shown in only two post on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Thanks OP. I know this is only one of many car parks that do this and one I won't be using. Heres another one for you all to keep in mind, so you don't have to be bothered reading the sign and backing down a ramp to avoid being ripped off(which is what I thought this thread was about, helping people avoid being ripped off). Merchants Quay in Cork.

First 10 Mins Free

Up to 1st hour 2.00 euros

Up to 2 hours 4.00 euros

Up to 3 hours 6.00 euros

Up to 4 hours 8.00 euros

Up to 5 hours 10.00 euros

Up to 6 hours 15.00 euros

Up to 7 hours 20.00 euros

Up to 8 hours 30.00 euros

Up to 9 hours 40.00 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I got to the service desk the guy smiled in my face.:mad::mad:
    What a scumbag, he didn't even have the decency to spit in your face?
    I hope this happens to you every week at least once and then I hope you realise your ignorance and stupidity.
    The thing is some fools do have stuff like this happen week in week out, and never learn from their stupidity, I think most people hope they will realise where they are going wrong.
    Nobody asked for your smart-ass opinion anyway.
    I think you are confusing this with the ranting & raving forum, most posts here are just rants, but its only in that forum where you will not be challenged with a rational reply.
    keefg wrote: »
    This thread is for all rants to do with driving, motorists, pedestrians, cyclists or any activity on public roads that you want to rant about.

Rules - Read them carefully before posting!

Usual Boards rules apply (no personal abuse, racism etc etc.)

* No general sexist rants. If you have a specific rant involving a male or female driver then rant away, but do not just post "All women/men or crap drivers".

* Do not make comments about other Boards forums or specific members.

* Do not post against the rants.

* Do not try to explain or rationalise the road users behaviour. Rant or do not post.

* If you are not happy with a post then use the "Report Post" function - do not start an in-thread row.

* Single line rants may be deleted as discretion of the mods (unless they are very funny).

* No rants that generalise against a particular race behind the wheel.

* No quoting of another poster's rant to counter rant. Just say your piece without quoting.

* No chit chat, rants only!

Obey the rules or face the ban hammer!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Please children, less slagging and more discussing. Thread closed because it's going nowhere but a dark place :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement