Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11850 Rip Off

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I phoned 11850 this morning, asking for a number to be texted to me. I received the text TWICE. This is the second time this has happened recently to me.

To my knowledge, consumers are charged for the SMS message received from the likes of 11850.

So, are we, the consumers, being ripped off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

From their website:
    Call 118 50 from any fixed line or mobile phone to get access to all Irish national database listings. All mobile callers will receive a free number textback with their requested number.

So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

You are charged for the duration of the call, you can request as many numbers to be texted to you as you want, no charge for receiving these texts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

They also make a killing on the connection fee if they put you through to the number you want but the texts are free :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so basically this isn't a consumer issue then, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ouch

I had the misfortune of working for the company that runs 11850.

Whilst they treat their staff like something that's scraped off the pavement... the SMS is 'free'.

Do they choke the SMS server to make people ring back?

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement