Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build, nice budget. need overkill.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Arrrrrrrrrgh my poor "good parts" gland...

1) Drop the Asus Board. Get a Gigabyte UD4 for £136 (€149.745016).

2) Unless you are running things that need the 8 Cores, don't bother and get a i5 750. Again, if you don't know if you need the 8 Cores, you don't need the 8 Cores.

3) Ok, the ram is good.

4) (Y_Y) I would NOT recomend getting two 5850s right now. Get one now (if you really must) and one later when the price gouging ends. Or even better, just get one 5850 and upgrade the GPU in 2 or 3 years. It will work out better value in the long run.

Apologies for my cranky old man tone. I am a cranky old man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Arrrrrrrrrgh my poor "good parts" gland...

1) Drop the Asus Board. Get a Gigabyte UD4 for £136 (€149.745016).

I'm going to be an even crankier man. ;)

I've an Asus P6T and i find it great. I've read a good few review's of the p7 and they all seem to get good reviews. So (their backstabbing attitude to the OCing community aside) why exactly do you hate their p55 mobos so much? I see you badmouthing Asus's p55s all the time yet i've never seen you give a concrete reason for this... curious like.
    2) Unless you are running things that need the 8 Cores, don't bother and get a i5 750. Again, if you don't know if you need the 8 Cores, you don't need the 8 Cores.

The OP wants it future proofed, every dog and it's bone is into parallel programming these days, no harm sticking with the HT imo.
    4) (Y_Y) I would NOT recomend getting two 5850s right now. Get one now (if you really must) and one later when the price gouging ends. Or even better, just get one 5850 and upgrade the GPU in 2 or 3 years. It will work out better value in the long run.

better yet, skip this current gen of DX11 hardware (there aren't even 10 games confirmed for DX11 yet), get a 4890 to bide you over til Nvidia enter the DX11 craze and ATI's prices actually become competitive again (hopefully by April, should be June-July at the latest).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I'm going to be an even crankier man. ;)

The OP wants it future proofed, every dog and it's bone is into parallel programming these days, no harm sticking with the HT imo.

That sounds rather scary :p is that something you may be likely to encounter in 3rd year or + in computer science degree? :P

Bah, humbug I say. He should get an i5 then buy an i7 if he wants later

Always good to have spare parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

after reading up, im gonna go with the asus board, an i5 (but im gonna try source an i7 cheaper if possible).

still not decided on a case.
    im also gonna get 1 5850.

should do what i need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The Corsair 800D is a simply awesome case, if you can find one anywhere :(

I ordered one a month ago and still waiting. Awesome case, hot swappable drives, cable management to die for, and ready to hook up 3 x 360 rads from the go(some dremel work required)

And the best part, all black interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anti wrote: »
    The Corsair 800D is a simply awesome case, if you can find one anywhere :(

I ordered one a month ago and still waiting. Awesome case, hot swappable drives, cable management to die for, and ready to hook up 3 x 360 rads from the go(some dremel work required)

And the best part, all black interior.

You left out the part of the bad power coating and woeful cooling unless you add all new fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Get a 256GB SSD...128gb is just too small.

You definitely won't regret it.
    I'm happily editing away in photoshop cs4 while the mate with his mechanical drive is still waiting for it to open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Surprised no one has pointed out the incompatibility of the mobo and cpu the OP picked out above there...

Venom wrote: »
    woeful cooling unless you add all new fans.

People actually use stock fans in cases? :confused:

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    You left out the part of the bad power coating and woeful cooling unless you add all new fans.

I've not seen one case, or even heard of the bad powder coating. And first thing im doing is replacing all fans and the spaces where extra fans will be going will be filled up too. Have tested out the akasa apache fans, 60cfm and whisper quiet on full whack.

I dont see why everyone is dissing this case into the ground, its pacticially a v1000/v2000 tj07/09 mixed into one, but better them them all.

Yes, its stock cooling is **** with just 2 fans installed in a huge case, but no one with any sence will keep those fans or not add more.

And that mobo is compatible with the 1156 i5/i7 cpu's. I should know, i have the board and have used the i5-750 and i7-860

And that mobo is compatible with the 1156 i5/i7 cpu's. I should know, i have the board and have used the i5-750 and i7-860

I think he was talking about this link:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=26007&agid=1191

Thats a LGA 1336 board :pac:

Ah right, i thought RM was still going with the Formula III ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think he was talking about this link:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=26007&agid=1191

Thats a LGA 1336 board :pac:

And he paired it with an i7-860 in the same post, so at the time everything was kosher.

sorry for the confusion, im going with the revolution and the i7.

:D

anti, im in love with that case now. cable dream! just gotta find one too :(

Komplett have guaranteed stock of it mid next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Sry, didnt think Id hold anyones hand on this one.... ^ this. Dont combine them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

swirlser wrote: »
    Sry, didnt think Id hold anyones hand on this one.... ^ this. Dont combine them.

Oh I see now, a 1156 i7 :o

Crazy intel with their crazy platform madness !

Crazy intel with their crazy platform madness !

I have the line "Seriously, how often do you look at a mans shoes" fron the Shawshank Redemption stuck in my head. :p

• Advertisement

anti, 250 quid. well worth it. ill order one as soon as i get paid!

Order it now, as you wont get invoiced untill it ships :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

if you want overkill and i7 why not get this board and 4 of the cards

http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/

at 1600 its a bargin:eek: but gurantees 40% improvment in i7 extreme core chips and 47% in i7 non extreme chips

only snag you might need a big case or a fridge to put it in:D

Order it now, as you wont get invoiced untill it ships :D

ive got one on reserve with komplett now. collect at their store in dublin.
    saly, no info on when its available yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

noodletop wrote: »
    if you want overkill and i7 why not get this board and 4 of the cards

at 1600 its a bargin:eek: but gurantees 40% improvment in i7 extreme core chips and 47% in i7 non extreme chips

only snag you might need a big case or a fridge to put it in:D

Ya i was looking at the 4-way. 500 USD. But i would love to know under what conditions you get that gurantees 40% improvment in i7 extreme core and how is the 40% jugged. Is it over a standard x58 board or a P4 based system :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Blazher wrote: »
    Ya i was looking at the 4-way. 500 USD. But i would love to know under what conditions you get that gurantees 40% improvment in i7 extreme core and how is the 40% jugged. Is it over a standard x58 board or a P4 based system :P

Its fairly obvious. That put this board and a few other competitors on a water slide and it hit the bottom 40% faster then the rest. A fair test like most OEM benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Blazher wrote: »
    But i would love to know under what conditions you get that gurantees 40% improvment in i7 extreme core and how is the 40% jugged.

If you click on the vid on this page^^^^

you can see a load of people with their cold cold coldness(can't remember wtf it's called) nitrus... nevermind anyway they're overclocking the i7's with record results, i would imagine they get those "guarantees" from that... :(

Liquid helium is the new king in extreme cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yeah but does it make your voice go funny?

• Advertisement

Lies! Everyone knows that Liquid Mercury is better! :pac:

Advertisement