Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 24mm-70mm F2.8 L USM v Canon 24mm-105mm L F4 IS USM...

• 01-12-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for one of these & I've more or less committed myself to the latter.

I have researched both in depth, and the Sigma & Tamron equivelents, for all round use with or without flash etc.

What, if any, are peoples views here, before I take the plunge?

I am using a Canon 50D.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I have the Canon 24-70 on my 40D most of the time. Sharp, versatile, fast and not too mention heavy too. Worth the money if u have good use for it.

Now a review Canon vs Sigma vs Tamron versions - http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_24-105_sigma_24-70_tamron_28-75.htm

Also a review on the 24-105 version - http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_24-105_f4_l_is_usm_review.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I think it will depend most on the intended use. I have both.

The 24-70 is my favorite. It is much heavier than the 24-105 if using it all day long but in my case I use mine a lot indoors & with kids. f2.8 and fast USM really make a difference.
    I have not used the 24-105 much at all yet since it came as a kit lens. I suppose the IS is a good thing to have in certain situations and the extra focal bandwidth is going to be much better for outdoor / landscape work.

You probably have seen these already but if not, i'd recommend a review for each lens here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

I use this site as a reference before buying any of my kit, very handy reviews and sample images.

Best of luck with your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have both. The vast majority of time I'd use the 24-70mm, due to it's f/2.8 aperture. Both very good lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

24-70 f2.8L is on the camera all day at a Wedding, super sharp lens and very versatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For work, the 24-70 is all I'll need for most jobs. It's fantastic, if a bit heavy. I'd much rather have the f/2.8 and build quality on it that than f/4 for the extra length and IS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thanks for the replies so far, I do occasional paid work for magazines, i.e. functions, glamour & advertisement shoots and the run of the mill stuff for the Tabloids.

I'm in talks with another photographer about breaking into event photography with him so I'm looking at this as an investment.

All replies so far do favour the 24-70 and all reviews I've read are of similar suggestion. Ideally I would have both lenses.... :D, but I need to justify the cost to the "Boss".

I have managed to get by on the standard kit lens but I need to decide, as a better quality lens produces better quality images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you're doing wedding/events the 24-70 is yer only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If you are staying with the 50d the 17-55 efs IS 2.8f is a good choice also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

RoadRunner wrote: »
    If you are staying with the 50d the 17-55 efs IS 2.8f is a good choice also.

I've got that on a 40D.

Advertisement