Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players now eligible for Ireland because of FIFA rule change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wonder how many times Anton Ferdinand has been to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »

I wonder could he find us on the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

What are his strengths, weaknesses etc, out of interest?

Good hands if Mick McCarthy's opinion is anything to go by :P

Seems like a grand defender, easily better than McShane anyway. Beyond that, I haven't seen enough of him to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Think he was here with Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Be nice if we could get Anton Ferdinand. Would he not have hopes of someday playing for England though? I dont think Rio would be happy with him playing for Ireland. Cant see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jamie O'Hara, Yes Please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Bardsley rb, and o shea in the centre please. If anything, it'll make sure mcshane won't be the only backup. And st. ledger as cover is adequate. Unless anton can be swayed that is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

dont know the in's and out's of the rule changes but is it possible that we might lose a young talent to another country. lets say for example we produce a quality full back or somethin and we fail to qualify for a major competition and this kid has a chance to play in the world cup or european championship for another country england in the euros or lets say some african team(ye never know wit this country) not sayin it'll be the next tournament but maybe 10-15 yrs down the line. most of you would think the lad should be patriotic and play for the irish, big tournament or not. but then you would have double standards as we are hoping the likes of noble and o hara should play for us when they could just as easily play for england which i think both will be good enough to esp noble great young player and if we're all honest a future england international

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Out of that list i'd like to see Noble called up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What are his strengths, weaknesses etc, out of interest?

Marc Wilson plays usually as a centre Back, but can play right back or as a holding midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I wouldn't mind Darren Ambrose. Was highly rated not so long ago. Gary Cahill was on the bench for England recently, so he's definitely a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

dont know the in's and out's of the rule changes but is it possible that we might lose a young talent to another country. lets say for example we produce a quality full back or somethin and we fail to qualify for a major competition and this kid has a chance to play in the world cup or european championship for another country england in the euros or lets say some african team(ye never know wit this country) not sayin it'll be the next tournament but maybe 10-15 yrs down the line. most of you would think the lad should be patriotic and play for the irish, big tournament or not. but then you would have double standards as we are hoping the likes of noble and o hara should play for us when they could just as easily play for england which i think both will be good enough to esp noble great young player and if we're all honest a future england international

Fair enough O hara and Noble I could see playing for england in the future. But most mentioned wont ever play for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

if not his name alone would probably get him more acceptance among many fans than some of the others get plus im sure Dumphy and co would have lots of fun with who his fiancee is, seems everyone else at his old club did :D

haha i remember meeting teddy sheringham while he was dating her and she wa on big brother. he was saying how much of an embarressment she had become to him and that he was constantly getting slagged about her! :P still, i wouldnt throw her out of bed for eatin crisps! phwaor!!!!

anyhow, i would cap all those players at least once to tie em down to us. wouldnt hurt to have options in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ADTR wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Darren Ambrose.
    Ambrose has been unreal for Palace this season, he's just equalled a club record of scoring in 6 consecutive league games. Not bad for a winger. Many of his goals have been top drawer belters. Best player outside the Premier League in my opinion. I'd have him in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

There has to be players of irish descent in other european countries that we are not currently aware of. Im thinking of the example of Owen Hargreaves and England. A Canadian playing in the bundesliga. He just came out of nowhere and the brits hated him at first.
    Is there not a large irish presence somewhere in Argentina or something. Im almost sure i heard that somewhere. Theres enough Irish bars all over Europe surely one of them has a son / gandson that is handy with a ball.

(Benny McCarthy - surely he's from Toomevara or somewhere:D:D)

• Advertisement

Rob113 wrote: »
    There has to be players of irish descent in other european countries that we are not currently aware of. Im thinking of the example of Owen Hargreaves and England. A Canadian playing in the bundesliga. He just came out of nowhere and the brits hated him at first.
    Is there not a large irish presence somewhere in Argentina or something. Im almost sure i heard that somewhere. Theres enough Irish bars all over Europe surely one of them has a son / gandson that is handy with a ball.

(Benny McCarthy - surely he's from Toomevara or somewhere:D:D)

I concur. We shouldn't limit our search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

What about John Obi Mikael?

Nearly sure he has an irish flag beside his name on Football Manager.....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

How can we call Mark Noble up, isn't/wasn't he England's U21 captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

How in christs name is Anton Ferdinand eligible??? :confused:

curry-muff wrote: »
    How in christs name is Anton Ferdinand eligible??? :confused:

"Son of Janice, a woman of mixed Irish and English heritage, and Julian Ferdinand, a St Lucian."

From Wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Why don't we just naturalise some up and coming Brazilians?

What exactly was the change in the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

ADTR wrote: »
    "Son of Janice, a woman of mixed Irish and English heritage, and Julian Ferdinand, a St Lucian."

From Wikipedia.

Pity this didnt come in earlier so we coulda took rio :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

curry-muff wrote: »
    Pity this didnt come in earlier so we coulda took rio :pac:

I'm sure he'd have jumped at the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Eire-Dearg wrote:
    How can we call Mark Noble up, isn't/wasn't he England's U21 captain?

Yeah I remember him demolishing the Irish U-21s a couple of years ago, don't know what it means for his eligibility

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Yeah I remember him demolishing the Irish U-21s a couple of years ago, don't know what it means for his eligibility

He came to Dublin apparently with Sunderland for a friendly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

He came to Dublin apparently with Sunderland for a friendly :p

Hehe sorry I edited my post because I was referring to mark noble rather than ferdinand.

To be honest, while I'm not against having a few "plastic paddies" in the team, but seeing Anton Ferdinand in an Irish shirt would be difficult to accept! I'm really only saying that because of who his brother is.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

You know there's actually a huge Irish ex-pat community in Argentina anyone know messi's lineage and if he has brothers? For example just to prove I'm not nuts;) Che guevara's Grandmother was from Galway and he actually was a very good footballer to ya know before the revolutionary idea's took over him

What i'm trying to say is why confine our search to the UK

That's true actually. After the UK and the USA, doesn't Argentina have the highest percentage of the Irish Diaspora?

But yeah, Noble and Jamie O'Hara would be great additions to the squad imo.
    Mark Noble in particular, him and Gibson in the middle would be fine (Noble is definitely a step above the likes of Whelan, and Gibson is fast improving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

another assist by O hara today good decent player id welcome him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Darren Ambrose is in shit hot form in the Championship. Hope Trap has a look at him.

There's a small possibility he could walk out on his contract as Palace are having difficulties paying players. A PL club would snap him up IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who cares, if he comes here for (home) matches and plays well.

We could do with Snoop Dog Jnr.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jamie O'Hare was travling to Dublin about 15 months ago for a friendly after being called up when the FAI had to phone his club and explain that he was enilegable because he had missed the deadline to switch by about 3 months...

Or so I seem to have a vivid memory of happening... I remember the FAI issuing a public apology for it.

Also, if any of them say they are interested, snap them up, feck it, what have we got to lose?

Also, Why hasn't Barry Maguire got a cap yet!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Seaneh wrote: »

Also, Why hasn't Barry Maguire got a cap yet!?

Hasnt he chosen Holland, but is still open to playing for us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'd just like to put it out there that due to the FIFA rule change, I'm now eligible for Ireland.

Stekelly wrote: »

Agree but in that case you should be allowed play for whatever country you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Stekelly wrote: »

We could do with Snoop Dog Jnr.

Ugh. For some reason the thoughts of that fella playing for Ireland sickens me. More than most actually.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ugh. For some reason the thoughts of that fella playing for Ireland sickens me. More than most actually.:mad:

Please do elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anton Ferdinand is no more a pro footballer than I am...in fact the only reason he's even at a premiership club is because they think he might be as good as his brother Rio when in fact he's championship quality and that's it, just about it in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Berkut wrote: »
    Anton Ferdinand is no more a pro footballer than I am...in fact the only reason he's even at a premiership club is because they think he might be as good as his brother Rio when in fact he's championship quality and that's it, just about it in fact.
    Are Championship players not professional footballers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Berkut wrote: »
    So your a championship level footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You have seen Anon play recently? or try to play?
    You'd be much better off putting a sod of turf at the back defending.
    He's worse than what we have at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think Jamie O'Haras girlfriend just gave me a "Call up",,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Player has to have shown some interest or at least actually considder himself Irish for me.

The fact Rio plays for England should tell you what way that household swings.

Plus he isn't better than what we have in the starting XI for me.

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    That's true actually. After the UK and the USA, doesn't Argentina have the highest percentage of the Irish Diaspora?

According to wikipedia the 5th biggest at 700,000,The Argentinian rugby coach is called Santiago Phelan :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Argentine

Couldnt look any more Irish
    %5CPhelanConferenciaProfesionales.jpg

Surely we should seriously look at getting some of them to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Simon Cox of WBA is eligible for us through his Galway grandmother and wants to play for us.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/match_reports/championship/635058/COX-REVEALS-REPUBLIC-OF-IRELAND-DREAM.html

Matt Derbyshire of Olympiacos is married to an Irish girl and as far as I know this also makes him eligible for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Simon Cox of WBA is eligible for us through his Galway grandmother and wants to play for us.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/match_reports/championship/635058/COX-REVEALS-REPUBLIC-OF-IRELAND-DREAM.html

Matt Derbyshire of Olympiacos is married to an Irish girl and as far as I know this also makes him eligible for us.

really? marriage qualifies...cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thats the type of talk I want to hear at the very least. No sitting on the fence praying for an England call-up and making us chase them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

:eek::eek:Would be utterly shocked if marriage to an Irish girl would make you eligible.
    :eek::eek:

If that's the case, we should offer Messi his choice of the fairest maiden in the land.

Didn't know Derbyshire was married to an Irish lass. He would be definately be worth considering as an option but I don't think there is a hope he is eligible through marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Surely marriage can't be right??

If so I think we'd end up seeing 'arranged marriages' being set up between the FA's of different countries to get the players they want....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

i think the marrage would entitle him to an irish passport then citizenship if he lived here for over 5 years(i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Frisbee wrote: »
    Surely marriage can't be right??

If so I think we'd end up seeing 'arranged marriages' being set up between the FA's of different countries to get the players they want....

As far as I know, forgotten Irish ''great'' Paul Butler played for Ireland way back in 2000 because he was married to an Irish girl. Never played again though after 1 cap as he was rubbish. To take a quote from the RTE website :
    ''Sunderland centre back Paul Butler will be making his full Irish debut, qualifying through marriage to his Irish wife, after being also courted by Wales.''

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2000/0223/soccer.html

If Butler could do it then I'm sure Derbyshire can too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement