Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players now eligible for Ireland because of FIFA rule change

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Should players not just be allowed to play for any country they want, then once you declare for a country you play for that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Should players not just be allowed to play for any country they want, then once you declare for a country you play for that country.

What? Baggsy being Brazilian so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No.

noodler wrote: »
    No.

But if you can play for a country through marriage, put it another way can you support a different country as a supporter if say an Irish person was to marry an English person, is it ok for that person to now support England.

I can't help feeling that if an Irish player was to declare for lets say England cause he married an English girl, people here would not be too happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

This thread is cringeworthy to be honest.

What's wrong with Irish players playing for Ireland, without having to find some loophole in the system to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This thread is cringeworthy to be honest.

What's wrong with Irish players playing for Ireland, without having to find some loophole in the system to play.

Because no matter what fans think, the coach is going to do the most he can to get good players, no matter who they are or where they're from.

We get the píss taken out of us a lot for having English players, but Owen Hargreaves isn't English, Eduardo Da Silva's about as Croatian as I am, Deco, Liedson and Pepe are all Brazilian, not Portugese, David Trezeguet's really from Argentina, Gonzalo Higuain's sort of French, and so on. It's what happens in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Exactly. One can also look at Germany for instance. On the current German squad they have Lukas Podolski, Miroslav Klose and Piotr Trochowski who are Polish, Cacau who is Brazilian, Jerome Boateng who could have played for Ghana and Mesut Özil who could have played for Turkey. The Dutch have been taking Surinam born players for years, France use many African born players & even Italy have Mauro Camoranesi who's Argentinian. So in my opinion there's nothing wrong with us using the Granny Rule and the sooner we use it the better tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

As a bloke who follow Sunderland, I can say Anton is an excellent footballing defender (good distribution) but has the concentration of a goldfish.

Same as Rio circa 2005.
    David Trezeguet's really from Argentina.

He was born in France, end of.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    He was born in France, end of.

And can barely speak French. :pac:

His dad was an Argentinian. He's as Argentinian as he is French.

And as I said, Higuaín was born in France.

Everyone does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ferdinand, O'Hara, Noble, Cahill, Hamill would all be good players to include in the squad.

Improving the quality can only be good for irish football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

slingerz wrote: »
    Ferdinand, O'Hara, Noble, Cahill, Hamill would all be good players to include in the squad.

Improving the quality can only be good for irish football

There is a line. Eligable players should make their interets known if they have very very lose connections for eligability.

The idea of Anton Ferdinand playing for us is silly in my opinion. His brother is an Englnad regular for heaven's sake. There is no way in hell anybody in that household considers themselves Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Phil Bardsley is also now eligible. A decent defender but my mother could offer more attacking-wise. Could be a Trapattoni type player as he doesn't like the full-backs pushing up. I think we're more than covered in that position with John O'Shea, Stephen Kelly and Kevin Foley though.
    Hear that Johnny Evans is good. And he is Irish too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Simon Cox of WBA is eligible for us through his Galway grandmother and wants to play for us.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/match_reports/championship/635058/COX-REVEALS-REPUBLIC-OF-IRELAND-DREAM.html

Matt Derbyshire of Olympiacos is married to an Irish girl and as far as I know this also makes him eligible for us.

He scored a phenomenal amount of goals for Swindon in League One, looks like he's starting to find his feet in the Championship now. Good to hear. :)

He scored a phenomenal amount of goals for Swindon in League One, looks like he's starting to find his feet in the Championship now. Good to hear. :)
    Moondog spot I dont think being married to an Irish girl counts. either parent or a grandparent. Can you imagine it Mike Beshoff and James Macari playing up front one day in green shirt

Given

Naughton - Dunne - Sledge - O'Shea

McGeady - O'Hara - McCann - Duff

Keane - Doyle

Would be cool for the first match of the Euros. :) McCann is Chris from Dublin obviously, not the Hibs bloke. ;)

Moondog spot I dont think being married to an Irish girl counts. either parent or a grandparent. Can you imagine it Mike Beshoff and James Macari playing up front one day in green shirt

Was referring to Cox. ;)

Given

Naughton - Dunne - Sledge - O'Shea

McGeady - O'Hara - McCann - Duff

Keane - Doyle

Would be cool for the first match of the Euros. :) McCann is Chris from Dublin obviously, not the Hibs bloke. ;)
    Great stuff. So Reid is now our tenth choice midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Paul Butler used it apparently.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2000/0223/soccer.html

Great stuff. So Reid is now our tenth choice midfielder

Ha! He actually completely slipped my mind :P I'd love to see Andy back in the set up. Not getting my hopes up, although it was encouraging to see that Trap was at Craven Cottage to see Fulham-Sunderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

The law changed in 2005:

As of 30 November 2005, citizenship must be acquired through the normal naturalisation process. The residence requirement is reduced from 5 to 3 years for the spouse of an Irish citizen.
    Previously, the law allowed for the spouses of most Irish citizens to acquire citizenship post-nuptially by registration without residence in the island of Ireland, or by naturalisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Who the hell are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Gary Cahill (Bolton)
    Mark Noble (West Ham)
    Kyle Naughton (Tottenham)
    Anton Ferdinand (Sunderland)
    Kevin Nolan (Newcastle)
    Jamie O'Hara (Portsmouth)
    Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)
    Matt Kilgallon (Sheff United)
    Matt Connolly (QPR)
    Hogan Ephraim (QPR)
    Adam Hammill (Barnsley)
    Andy Lonergan (Preston)
    Kevin McCann (Hibernian)
    Zander Diamond (Aberdeen)
    Darren Ambrose (Crystal Palace)

havent they all played with their countries at U21 level. i thought that U19 was the highest level you can change from. and some of these guys do they even have irish connections?

Without sounding all sanctimonious here think we should give some thought to our under age teams. A lot of work put into our various under age panels and I would hope we would not be loading our teams with overseas players in the future. As good as Houghton and Townsend and all these chaps were under Big Jack, I personally would like to see as many Irish born players on team and not having to ask myslef "is he Irish". Remember Northern Ireland manager gave Charlton a bit of stick for calling team a bunch of Mercenaries but he had a point in away. The whole affair with Vinny Jones trying to track down his Irish grandmother was a bit embarrassing. Northern Ireland with only a quarter of our population haven't gone down that road to any great extent so dont see why we should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

...I personally would like to see as many Irish born players on team....
    I personally would've loved to have seen myself play for Ireland. Unfortunately, I couldn't kick my way out of a wet paper bag.

The whole affair with Vinny Jones trying to track down his Irish grandmother was a bit embarrassing.
    Embarrassing for Vinny Jones. He never had a chance to play for Ireland. Sure he tried to prove he was Welsh too. :rolleyes:

Northern Ireland with only a quarter of our population haven't gone down that road to any great extent so dont see why we should.
    Northern Ireland is a tiny country in footballing terms. And with our estimated 80million plus diaspora why shouldn't we use every avenue available to us to field the best team? If it's in the rule book well then it's fair game, especially if other countries are doing it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I personally would've loved to have seen myself play for Ireland. Unfortunately, I couldn't kick my way out of a wet paper bag.

Leave the phone on anyway. We may still need you

• Advertisement

Because no matter what fans think, the coach is going to do the most he can to get good players, no matter who they are or where they're from.

It's an absolute joke IMO, might aswell just call Ireland the English C Team.

So if you had a child (I'm assuming your Irish) in another country and he was brought up there. Who do you think he should play for?

So if you had a child (I'm assuming your Irish) in another country and he was brought up there. Who do you think he should play for?

That's not what's happening here though. People are suggesting players like Anton Ferdinand and other players who have about as much claim to be Irish as the Queen.

For the record, if I had a child born in The UK and was he was raised in Ireland (Which is the scenario in my own case) then yes, I think he should play for Ireland, as I would, but the players people are suggesting to play for Ireland are ludicrous.

It's cringeworthy to be honest, absolutley cringeworthy. No wonder FIFA et al don't take Ireland and The FAI seriously.

But why not do it if other countries are doing it, other countries that have much bigger populations than ourselves.

Rules are rules and what's wrong if we are abiding by them. I'd love a team of Anto's too ;) but it doesn't always work out that way.

Yes i think second generation Irish is okay, but third generation is pushing it a bit. I think we have enough natural talent here to make up a decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ferdinand is second generation Irish, his mum is Irish.

Same for Nolan (who also qualifies for Holland).

Don't know about the others.

And? If it's a choice between winning and losing I'd rather we won.

You will find the more successful we become the more will be tracing their Irish ancestors. Heard this Reagan chap from Ballyporeen is quite useful

If the situation is reversed what would you say, i.e. say from Poland, lives here all his life, should he play for Poland or Ireland?

Yes i think second generation Irish is okay, but third generation is pushing it a bit. I think we have enough natural talent here to make up a decent team.

I think you should play for whoever you want, afterall if marriage qualifies you to play for a country, why not imo :)

I think you should play for whoever you want, afterall if marriage qualifies you to play for a country, why not imo :)
    Marriage should only qualify play if you are resident in country for more than two years IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Marriage doesn't qualify you automatically.

A minor update:

Tardelli has contacted no-one yet. He is unaware of Jamie O'Hara's intentions.

Preston goalkeeper Andy Lonergan is believed to be interested.

Gary McSheffrey said in an interview he would love to play for Ireland. Pity he's shite.

Matt Kilgallon has moved to Sunderland from Sheff Utd, definitely one of those we should be looking at as we don't have many decent defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jamie O'Hara would be quality instead of Andrews in Center mid

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Trap should focus on getting gary breen out of retirement,

• Advertisement

If any of these players want to play for us they should come out and say it, instead of using us a back up plan. Any way we should get james mcCarthy capped befor he has seconds thoughts, and like mentioned earlier, andy reid, we have a quality midfield then, should give stokes a chance aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

O'Hara would be a huge addition to the team.lonergan is a good keeper aswel

Jordonvito wrote: »
    should give stokes a chance aswell.

Please God no. He really has found his level in the SPL, a player with a horrendous attitude and is not far away from pissing his career up the wall, he'd be nothing more than a disruptive influence.

Please God no. He really has found his level in the SPL, a player with a horrendous attitude and is not far away from pissing his career up the wall, he'd be nothing more than a disruptive influence.

i know what you mean, but he is still only 21 (something people tend to forget), so maybe just maybe he's starting to mature he's been behaving himself in edinburgh, i reckon he could be useful, i think he's better than best or noel hunt or long, and if he gets in the right frame of mind could be a real talent . . well maybe not a real talent, but useful anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

O'Hara would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

You must be out of your mind to think Traps is ever gonna drop Andrews or Whelan!

TonyD79 wrote: »
    You must be out of your mind to think Traps is ever gonna drop Andrews or Whelan!

Wahtever team he puts out in the first qualifier will be the team he sticks with, he does NOT like change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A minor update:

Tardelli has contacted no-one yet. He is unaware of Jamie O'Hara's intentions.

Preston goalkeeper Andy Lonergan is believed to be interested.

Gary McSheffrey said in an interview he would love to play for Ireland. Pity he's shite.

Matt Kilgallon has moved to Sunderland from Sheff Utd, definitely one of those we should be looking at as we don't have many decent defenders.
    McSheffrey ****e? If you've seen him play you'll appreciate that he's a hell of a lot better than the two centre mids that are currently favoured by Trap. How does he qualify for us though? Lonergan is a superb keeper, would make a great addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

O'Hara on SoccerAM this morning was on about his longer-term chances of making the England squad. Nary a mention of declaring for Ireland. Wouldn't be holding out that much hope on the basis of his attitude/what he was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

yabadabado wrote: »
    O'Hara would be a huge addition to the team.lonergan is a good keeper aswel

Longeran is not better than
    Given
    Murphy
    Murphy or
    Westwood

We don't need any of these players maybe bar O'Hara we have plenty of young talent coming through. Ireland should not take England rejects. If you want to play for Ireland you should declare that when your young not when your 25 and realising it is your only chance to play internationally

Advertisement