Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen query ? Correct Forum ?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I got 4 POL Pullets about 7 weeks ago and was told to expect eggs in 2 - 3 weeks. After 5 weeks still nothing ! Then one hen started laying and I thought all was good. She layed 3 eggs in about 4 days so I thought the rest would follow soon.

However, now after laying her 3 eggs she has stopped laying ! I haven't gotten anything now for a week !

I presume this isn't normal ?

Can anyone explain this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

I'm very new to hens myself, but mine are off aswell.It has got to do wth the cold & the lenght of day light hours, you probally wont get regular eggs until the days get longer. I have 4 hens, had to many eggs in the summer & now am lucky if there 1 egg in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

What breed are they?
    This can affect the number of eggs they will lay in a year.

Also new POL generally won't lay that much this time of year (except for some of the commercial breeds) generally they need at least 15 hrs sunlight a day to start regular laying, if they are inside butting a heat lamp on for a few hrs to artificially extent "daylight" for them, could help encourage them to lay

Good luck with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

..with it getting dark early in the day you wont get regular laying till spring..you will need to put a light in and give them 14 to 15 hours of light a day..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its pretty much been said - they need light and a certain temperature to start/keep laying and they stop if it gets too cold or the day is too short. My five are still giving four eggs a day but they are commercial/hybrid ISA browns and are bred for robust production.

Unfortunately you will have to keep feeding them for the winter and hope that they kick off with eggs in early spring.

Have fun!

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Boredatwork

Cheers guys !

They are Rhode Island Reds.

I was told when I got them that since they are new this year they would lay all through winter but would stop next winter when they are molting.

Ah well ! once I know that they are normal I suppose I'm happy to wait till spring I suppose.

Thanks for your responses !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jungo

Cheers guys !

They are Rhode Island Reds.

I was told when I got them that since they are new this year they would lay all through winter but would stop next winter when they are molting.

Ah well ! once I know that they are normal I suppose I'm happy to wait till spring I suppose.

Thanks for your responses !

As long as you keep them warm and dry and fresh food and water daily there is no reason why they shouldnt lay. Recent cold spell effects them.

Advertisement