Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi driver consulting map while meter runs

• 01-12-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

I took a taxi at the weekend in Dublin city centre and the taxi driver actually pulled in and consulted a map for about 3 minutes with the meter running (and it wasn't an obscure place I was going to either). Should I have told him to turn off the meter? I don't see why I should have had to pay more because he didn't know, or at least pretended not to know, his way around the city. Also, if didn't know where to go shouldn't he have said that at the outset?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

smeedyova wrote: »
    I took a taxi at the weekend in Dublin city centre and the taxi driver actually pulled in and consulted a map for about 3 minutes with the meter running (and it wasn't an obscure place I was going to either). Should I have told him to turn off the meter? I don't see why I should have had to pay more because he didn't know, or at least pretended not to know, his way around the city. Also, if didn't know where to go shouldn't he have said that at the outset?

Driver is supposed to know where he's going - why didn't you just get out? I know if I got into a taxi and the driver took out a map I'd be gone with one of the other 13,000 taxis in Dublin! I certainly wouldn't have paid him for the time to check his map!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I wanted to get out but there was such heavy rain...It happens all the time though so I was really angry because I made sure to be very clear when I got in about the address, but he only said when we were half way there that he didn't know where it was.... so angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

taxi drivers dont know every street in dublin. A bit more info here were exactly did u tell him to bring you. could u have helped him in anyway by saying a landmark then showing him from there?
    Is it really that much hassle.

dare i say it did you get his plate number to complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Rule number one about getting a taxi in Dublin : Always know how to get to where you are going.

and why do you tink that is lad?

Because every tom dick and harry can just do a course be given the answers and they get a taxi. Use were the one giving out not enough cabs about. Now heres the other side of the coin.

Thats life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i might have given him directions if i had known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

blahblah06 wrote: »
    and why do you tink that is lad?

Because every tom dick and harry can just do a course be given the answers and they get a taxi. Use were the one giving out not enough cabs about. Now heres the other side of the coin.

Thats life.

Incompetent taxi driver are just life? What happened to professional standards?
    That probably to much to ask though to be honest.

what details did you give him.Is it a new estate or an old estate.

If your going to come on her bitching at least back up the statements u have made.

Also if you didnt get his plate number to complain why didnt you just ask him to stop the meter while he checked.

he made the effort and got half way then checked his map which at least he had to fall back on.

Incompetent taxi driver are just life? What happened to professional standards?
    That probably to much to ask though to be honest.

ask the regulator that why she gave everyone a licence that wanted one. Theres no pro standards anymore. the taxi business is ruined

well, my new strategy is to ask before I get into the taxi if the driver knows exactly how to get where i need to go. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the folks who say that the drivers don't know every street, etc. It is their job to know that, that is what they are paid to know. They are not just paid to drive, they are paid to know where to go and how best to get there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

A taxi driver is not expected to know everywhere, you only need reasonable knowledge of the area you work in.
    If I was to use a map to find somewhere I would either stop the meter or just knock a bit off the fare.
    As said many times before if you are not happy about something, just get a reciept and make a complaint to the Taxi Regs office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

it's impossible for every taxi driver to know every single street, cul de sac or newly sprung up housing estate in a large city. There are simply 1000s of streets, lanes, roads, drives,courts, greens, demesnes etc in Dublin. Once you give them the suburb or general area of your destination they should know at least know the direction to that general area and then with your guidance, find the specific street. If you are also unfamiliar with the territory, then it will take a bit longer to find and it is not unfair for a cabbie to consult a street directory or map then if you are also unable to give specifics.Finally, I notice some taxi drivers have labels on their dash boards stating if you have a preferred route, please advise at the start of the journey (which is a good idea).

hmm i disagree. Dublin is the only city that i have lived where the taxi drivers don't know exactly where to go. in other countries where i have lived taxi drivers have to do and pass very intensive courses and display perfect knowledge of the area. would you go to a doctor who only had 'reasonable knowledge' or a dentist, etc. no excuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

well, my new strategy is to ask before I get into the taxi if the driver knows exactly how to get where i need to go. Also, I'm not sure I agree with the folks who say that the drivers don't know every street, etc. It is their job to know that, that is what they are paid to know. They are not just paid to drive, they are paid to know where to go and how best to get there....

The standards allowed for "local knowledge" for tax drivers has not been set down to know anything beyond major streets, landmarks, transport hubs and the odd embassy. It's one thing not to know where Arnott Street or Fitzwilliam Quay are but to not know Arnott's or Fitzwilliam Square is a bigger screw up. I can't say I know everywhere in Dublin but may I ask were you asked this driver to go to that he didn't know?

BTY, I agree with the principle of checking first hand before you travel; I've found myself having to do this in the last two years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

At least he had a map! I've lost count of the number of times someones asked me for directions when they even have a Sat Nav..

Welcome to taxis in Dublin for the 2010's, curtesy of your Taxi Regulator

P.s

At this stage of the game who cares anymore, I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

BLAME the taxi regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

taxi drivers dont know every street in dublin.
    They do in London and this tough test keeps the cowboys at bay and naturally keeps taxi numbers down. I'm sure the good taxi drivers in Dublin actually do know every street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ask the regulator that why she gave everyone a licence that wanted one. Theres no pro standards anymore. the taxi business is ruined
    Did the old system have a detailed knowledge test that was scrapped under deregulation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have lived at the same address in a housing estate in Dublin for 18 years and for all that time I have had to direct taxi drivers to it. When did the taxi regulator start the dumbing down process?

Edit
    The Minister for Transport established the Commission for Taxi Regulation as an Independent Public Body under Part 2 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 on 1st September 2004.

In a short period of time the Commission for Taxi Regulation became operational and is now a functional, independent public body with its management, staff, administrative, financial and operational structures fully in place. The principal function of the Commission for Taxi Regulation is the development and maintenance of a regulatory framework for the control and operation of small public service vehicles (SPSVs) and their drivers, for the benefit of both operators and consumers alike.
    On 26th September 2005, the Minister for Transport significantly extended the powers of the Commission for Taxi Regulation by virtue of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 (Part 3) (Commencement) Order 2005 (S.I. No. 610 of 2005). Virtually all the powers conferred on the on the Commission for Taxi Regulation by the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 (Number 25 of 2003) have now been commenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

murphaph wrote: »
    Did the old system have a detailed knowledge test that was scrapped under deregulation?

No, it's pretty much the same test that has remained in place since. However, the difference between then and now is that the test dates came up less often as there was less plates out there to drive with. This ensured that the standard of drivers who got to sit the test worked harder to learn and pass the test and then obtain a drivers seat which were at a premium. Any new driver who got a chance to drive literally had to put up or shut up as anybody not up to the mark could be gotten rid of fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

hmm i disagree. Dublin is the only city that i have lived where the taxi drivers don't know exactly where to go. in other countries where i have lived taxi drivers have to do and pass very intensive courses and display perfect knowledge of the area. would you go to a doctor who only had 'reasonable knowledge' or a dentist, etc. no excuses!

still waiting on answers to my questions

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Spook_ie wrote: »
    At least he had a map! I've lost count of the number of times someones asked me for directions when they even have a Sat Nav..

In fairness sat nav sucks in Ireland due to our lack of postcodes. If we had a proper postcode system here in Ireland, then it would make using sat navs vastly easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wouldn't mind a taxi driver referring to a map, GPS device or whatever else, but I sure as hell would mind if the meter was running while the taxi driver was consulting said guidance. I would have asked for a few quid off the fare, if the taximan hadn't stopped the meter, failing that I might be tempted to take it up with the regulator.

Exactly Sean that's what any normal person would do instead of giving out on a thread on this site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They do in London and this tough test keeps the cowboys at bay and naturally keeps taxi numbers down. I'm sure the good taxi drivers in Dublin actually do know every street.

No, they don't.
    they need a detailed knowledge of london within 6km radius of Charing Cross

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/taxisandprivatehire/1412.aspx

I think the meter should have been stopped at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You should try living in Galway, all the new estates with Irish names! Many of the foreign drivers just don't know, I can see it's difficult for them to learn the names and distinguish them all. Some of the Irish drives struggle too

The older drivers know the areas though. And ask me my preferred route as they know them all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The meter should have been stopped , or he should have knocked a couple of quid off .

OP , next time this happens , say something to the driver at the time . It's possible it just didn't occur to the the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

bk wrote: »
    In fairness sat nav sucks in Ireland due to our lack of postcodes. If we had a proper postcode system here in Ireland, then it would make using sat navs vastly easier.

There is a system available that people can now use on their mobile phone and sat nav systems - taxi drivers could use it too, or you could find out where you want to go before you get into taxi with this system - it's called Go Code - here's their site www.gocode.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Spook_ie wrote: »

Welcome to taxis in Dublin for the 2010's, curtesy of your Taxi Regulator

P.s

At this stage of the game who cares anymore, I don't

It's not really a new phenomenon. I never had the impression that Dublin taxi drivers had a deep knowledge of the geography of the city.

I remember an incident from around 1998

Me: " I need to go to St Somewhere's Church, Foxrock"
    Taxi: "Where is it exactly?"
    Me: "I don't know, but I guess if you go to Foxrock it should be easy to spot"
    Taxi:"No, I mean, where's Foxrock, how do I get there?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Incidents from before deregulation:

- Get into taxi at Fairview. "O'Dwyer's on Mount St". Don't know it. "It's on Mount St?". Nope. "Beside Merrion Square?". Uh, I usually work northside.

- Get a taxi from a rank in Ranelagh to a restaurant on Pembroke lane. Driver brings us to the Pembroke lane he knows, before telling us there's no restaurant he knows of on it. Then tries Pembroke row. Since he doesn't have a map, we then end up sitting on the kerb having to ring directory inquiries to get the restaurant number to get directions. (There's actually 2 pembroke lanes) While I don't blame him for not knowing exactly where the restaurant was, I fail to understand why any taxi driver woulldn't carry at least a street atlas of Dublin, or these days a satnav. Ended up costing about a fiver more than it shuld have, and we were running too late to get into an argument over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

This is simple. Meter should be stopped or a few quid knocked off.

There will always be streets a driver wont know. Drivers should know all areas and major landmarks. They should know the vast majority of streets in the centre. However to expect a driver to know every street in every housing estate in Dublin is just not going to happen.

To be honest if you were that bothered about it you should of dealt with it at the time or got a receipt and made a complaint to regulator. No point making noise on an internet forum if your not willing to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

Aw the disgruntled passenger...

As outlined the driver must have a satisfactory knowledge of the area he/she is serving.. as the new pass rate is 80% in which i received 100% in the area knowledge and 94% in the Industry Knowledge but its exactly the same as any exam or test in your life once you put the effort in and achieve your result you dont keep everything you learned in your head..

I worked as a senior engineer on many sites all over Ireland and Europe but am now driving due to downfall in the economy which i reckon many people are so not all drivers are arrogant some are highly qualified and you wouldnt even know it because they are being painted with the same brush.(if you saw my CV you wouldnt believe that I would end up a driver)

So what I am trying to resolve here is there are good drivers bad drivers,dont be afraid to speak up it doesnt have to be confrontational and we all don't have the ability to know every street,road,restaurant,pub,nightclub,hotel in dublin...a little help goes a long way

sully how are you getting on mate

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mizhell

I don't agree with what you have said about London cabbies although the standard is higher in London than here, I have been handed an A to Z map more than once and told to direct some drivers when I have been over there for the weekend, they were then told to leave me to the nearest tube station and I'll find place myself.
    The reason the test over the last few years has been laughable is because "schools" have sprung up to give the "students" the answers literally question by question.
    So while some people have had trouble with drivers knowing where destinations are for more than the last few years the frustration from within the industry in the last while has comes from the fact that alot of drivers now don't know where they are going to most of the time, and drivers that worked hard to learn where to go are not being recognised for putting that work in. When people talk about taxi drivers they talk like they are apart of something like "the Borg" we all think and do things differently we are not one and the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I wouldn't expect a driver to know every new estate and apartment complex, they are springing up everywhere.
    Though not so much anymore in the last year or two...

I've found the drivers in Dublin to be better then Galway. In Galway new developments are named as Gaelige. The foreign drivers struggled and some of the locals too. So for sure you'd be asked to repeat the estate name a few times.

Now that's understandable, but one you can get the area you can direct them the rest of the way. Galway isn't that big at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement