Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Door-To-Door Scams

Options
  • 01-12-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm trying to pull together a list of recent scams that are happening in neighborhoods/estates around the city. I was at a recent Neighborhood Watch meeting and I was shocked to hear the amount of scams people are trying to pull especially on the elderly and vulnerable.

I know of one definite scam at the moment and that's the Airtricity scam where well dressed males and females are going door-to-door to try and sell an Airtricity contract by obtaining all your bank details etc.

I would be grateful if we could all combine our information here so I can let people in my street know what to look out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

shapez wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm trying to pull together a list of recent scams that are happening in neighborhoods/estates around the city. I was at a recent Neighborhood Watch meeting and I was shocked to hear the amount of scams people are trying to pull especially on the elderly and vulnerable.

I know of one definite scam at the moment and that's the Airtricity scam where well dressed males and females are going door-to-door to try and sell an Airtricity contract by obtaining all your bank details etc.

I would be grateful if we could all combine our information here so I can let people in my street know what to look out for.

I don't see the scam in this if they don't show you they're ID then it's safe to say it's a scam.

Cold calling is nothing new, Eircom do it, Sky Reps do it, so does Airtricity

One scamI've heard of on the radio was power washing your roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

I didn't know about the Airtricity Scam at all.

Have Airtricity or the Gardai a warning anywhere about this scam?
    Was there a garda present at Neighborhood Watch meeting or is this just hersey about the Airtricity Scam?
    Are you sure they weren't just pushy annoying agents on commission?
    The more they can get signed up in a night, the better for them.
    You can always complain to Airtricity, mentioning the date, locality and time.

I had two ladies call to my door last week, Ardkeen Village, with ID and they 'seemed' legit. (I didn't ask to look at their ID, I should have really i suppose). I told them I was already with Airtricity and they seemed fine with that and marked me off the list they had and just informed me that next year I can change my gas over to Airtricity also which I wasn't aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

trishw78 wrote: »
    One scam I've heard of on the radio was power washing your roof.
    Yeah I heard about that myself. Basically be careful of travellers offering services even to do small things like clean the gutters. Even if they dont steal or anything like that, they have no Professional indemnity insurance and if anything happens them on your property they can claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

trishw78 wrote: »
    I don't see the scam in this if they don't show you they're ID then it's safe to say it's a scam.

Cold calling is nothing new, Eircom do it, Sky Reps do it, so does Airtricity

I have it under good authority that the Airtricity door calling is a scam. Why would an "employee" of Airtricity call to a house that all ready is signed up with Airtricity? A basic Excel spreadsheet on their system should tell you exactly who are account holders.

There is another scam whereby a well-dressed male is targeting elderly people in the county. He poses as the local Super Intendant from the Garda Station, using his name and a fake ID. Explains to the victim that they should consider putting the cash they have stored in their house into safety deposit boxes. He earns their trust, they give him all their cash and never see it again.

I think you are a little naive if you start to trust someone that just showed you a piece of ID that can be very easily made or replicated. Would you part with your bank and credit card details after you let them into your house?

So folks, if you can contribute, great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Airtricity people are more likely out sourced, not hired by Airtricity.
    They are probably paid on commission and are therefore very aggressive and pushy. I don't think for a second its a scam, it's just very poor business practice.

JPA wrote: »
    They are probably paid on commission and are therefore very aggressive and pushy. I don't think for a second its a scam, it's just very poor business practice.

I think you misread my post. I have it under very good authority that is is a scam.

I'm amazed at how gullible people are in general. Have you not once stopped and thought about someone approaching your door, looking to sell a service? Do you think the ID is real? Would you really give out all your account and credit card details when asked for it, just because they showed you an "ID"? :rolleyes:

Come on people!! :eek:

JPA wrote: »

As JPA has said it's out sourced, They don't have the details of those that are already signed up as it's part of the data protection act. I've had 2 callers from Airtricity, that have apologised and explained that they don't get a list of those that have already signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭djayforza

the airtricity contracts for sales door to door are out sourced to marketing companies, i know this because i worked with one over the summer, firstly they are terrible to work for commission on work so you could work all day and come away with nothing. getting a little off topic,

it isnt a scam i left the company just before they were bringin in airtricity mainly because the management were poor and the conditions were shocking.
    although i didnt work in waterford i was dublin based. they are legit so i dont know where your getting your info from.

It's very easy to ring Airtricity and check they are genuine, I'm sure the caller if genuine really wouldn't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Folks,

Not sure how the mods will treat an allegation like that!!!

The Airtricity guys were doing their rounds yesterday and if theyre bogus then they deserve whatever they find in my bank account! It was FREEZING cold, they were at it for 12 hours, there's a fair bit of paperwork etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

this idea of getting them to show you I.D.... I dont know about this... I mean... i dont know what a genuine Garda I.D looks like ... let alone ESB or Airtricity and the rest... so even if someone showed me one I wouldnt know if it was real or fake... not that I'd even give em long enough at the door to give em a chance to get it out to show me...

my point is... How would an elderly person know if the I.D was real .. people can get anything printed up now and laminated.. god knows what you could order from Thailand or somewhere like that

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

OP, your info on the guys from airtricty is wrong, they are from an external company representing airtricty, however none of us are in a position today that others are not going around copying what they are doing. The two lads who called to me were very knowledgeable about the product they were trying to sell also they knew their competitors rates too. My only problem with them though was they were actually giving out false figures about "their" company figures and discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

the power washing fella called to my mothers house twice today within a few minutes. i happened to just pull up outside the second time so told him to **** off out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I had a chap call the other day about powerwashing the gutters, says his name is paddy and gave me a professional looking flyer with 'deise powerwashing' on one side and 'deise gardening' on the other.Just a mobile contact number.

I actually need the gutters done,you've put me off now.:)
    Anyone remember coming across this bloke before?

Amazing. I'm not sure many of you realise how well scams are thought out these days. As bad as it sounds, but God forbid should anyone be on the receiving end of a scam to realise just how crafty some people are.

As a matter of interest, did anyone send their credit card and bank details via email to the gentleman that lost his family but is just about to inherit an oil company so he can pay you back millions?? :rolleyes: You missed out folks!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

As a matter of interest, did anyone send their credit card and bank details via email to the gentleman that lost his family but is just about to inherit an oil company so he can pay you back millions?? :rolleyes: You missed out folks!! :P
    i did,nt miss out apparently my email address has won a million pound in a uk lottery draw!!!

how fecking gullible do these scammers think people are??especially when i did,nt enter into any draw for a million pound

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

i did,nt miss out apparently my email address has won a million pound in a uk lottery draw!!!

how fecking gullible do these scammers think people are??especially when i did,nt enter into any draw for a million pound

You should have a look at this website someone sent me a while ago, it is very funny and is able how to scam scammers and waste their time.
    http://www.419eater.com/
    http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

those airtricity salespeople were at my door a while back. they had a form and said all i have to do is sign it and not give out any bank details.

it was a form giving permission to swap from ESB

they said if i signed something they would send the rest by post

they had i.d and didnt ask for anymore details.

couldnt see a scam in it myself. a girl and a fella roughly 28 - 30 id say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i reckon shapez works for the ESB..........

all this clock and dagger, "i know its a scam talk" " i have it on good authority"

WHo's authority????
    nothing in paper or press releases from garda..... so com on spill...

baseless accusations like that cause nothing but trouble for genuines sales people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I am General Fred Thomas, National Security Adviser to the new President UMARU MUSA YAR'ADUA of Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am delighted to inform you that the contract panel, which just concluded it’s seating in Abuja just released your name amongst contractors to benefit from the ATM card Payment. This Panel was primarily delegated to investigate manipulated contract claims, contracts and over-invoiced payment as the effect has eaten deep into the economy of our dear country.

This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract /inheritance file and found out that why you have not received your payment are because you have not fulfilled the obligations given to you in respect of your contract/inheritance payment.

Secondly we have been informed that you are still dealing with none officials in the bank your entire attempt to secure the release of the fund to you. We wish to advise you that such an illegal act like these have to stop if you wish to receive your payment since we have decided to bring a solution to your problem. Right now we have arranged your payment through our swift card payment center Asia pacific that is the latest instruction from Mr. President UMARU MUSA YAR'ADUA (GCFR) federal republic of Nigeria.

This card center will send you an ATM card which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world, so if you like to receive your fund in this way, please let us know by contacting the CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT CONSULTANT (CBNAPDC) and also send the following information as listed below, to them.

1. Full name
    2. Phone and fax number
    3. Addresses were you want them to send the ATM card to
    (P.o box not acceptable)
    4. Your age and current occupation
    5. Attach copy of your identification

We have been instructed to issue out $5,000,000.00 as part payment for this fiscal year 2008.also for your information; you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or fake office(s) of central bank to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment.So you have to indicate this code no (70011) when contacting the card center (CBNAPDC) by using (70011) as your subject. You can contact them at: atmcardcenter70011@live.com

Wait for your expediting response.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
    General Fred Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

I am General Fred Thomas, National Security Adviser to the new President UMARU MUSA YAR'ADUA of Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am delighted to inform you that the contract panel, which just concluded it’s seating in Abuja just released your name amongst contractors to benefit from the ATM card Payment. This Panel was primarily delegated to investigate manipulated contract claims, contracts and over-invoiced payment as the effect has eaten deep into the economy of our dear country.

This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract /inheritance file and found out that why you have not received your payment are because you have not fulfilled the obligations given to you in respect of your contract/inheritance payment.

Secondly we have been informed that you are still dealing with none officials in the bank your entire attempt to secure the release of the fund to you. We wish to advise you that such an illegal act like these have to stop if you wish to receive your payment since we have decided to bring a solution to your problem. Right now we have arranged your payment through our swift card payment center Asia pacific that is the latest instruction from Mr. President UMARU MUSA YAR'ADUA (GCFR) federal republic of Nigeria.

This card center will send you an ATM card which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world, so if you like to receive your fund in this way, please let us know by contacting the CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT CONSULTANT (CBNAPDC) and also send the following information as listed below, to them.

1. Full name
    2. Phone and fax number
    3. Addresses were you want them to send the ATM card to
    (P.o box not acceptable)
    4. Your age and current occupation
    5. Attach copy of your identification

We have been instructed to issue out $5,000,000.00 as part payment for this fiscal year 2008.also for your information; you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or fake office(s) of central bank to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment.So you have to indicate this code no (70011) when contacting the card center (CBNAPDC) by using (70011) as your subject. You can contact them at: atmcardcenter70011@live.com

Wait for your expediting response.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
    General Fred Thomas.
    they must think everyone is stupid up our direction and even if it was legit(which it aint its plain and obvious just by looking at the email address

robtri wrote: »
    i reckon shapez works for the ESB..........

all this clock and dagger, "i know its a scam talk" " i have it on good authority"

WHo's authority????
    nothing in paper or press releases from garda..... so com on spill...

baseless accusations like that cause nothing but trouble for genuines sales people...

No, I don't work for the ESB or any other company that is in competition with each other.

I do have a very reliable source from the local Garda station that has said that there are scams happening in local neighborhoods at present.

One last note, I started this post looking for help to help people who genuinely do not know what goes on these days regarding scams. Elderly people especially are the biggest targets here and I thought at the very least I could help them out. So, I do not like your tone on this and would appreciate you kept the pettiness to yourself. If you can't contribute then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

they must think everyone is stupid up our direction and even if it was legit(which it aint its plain and obvious just by looking at the email address

trust me a few will always reply

its a numbers game. if 1 million mails go out....

theres always that gullible 80 year old who is just learning how to use email

some of the ebay ( your credit card has expired) scam emails are very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I do have a very reliable source from the local Garda station that has said that there are scams happening in local neighborhoods at present.

One last note, I started this post looking for help to help people who genuinely do not know what goes on these days regarding scams. Elderly people especially are the biggest targets here and I thought at the very least I could help them out. So, I do not like your tone on this and would appreciate you kept the pettiness to yourself. If you can't contribute then don't.

OP, first off your thread is interesting and a good idea, but if you step back and read it you are dishing Airtricity salespeople with no source of info to back it up. I think the reason a few are still questioning you about airtricity is because we dont all have access to reliable sources like you and if there is an Airtricity scam in operation why hasn't there been any warnings about it to the public. Is there anywhere this can be confirmed? (ie WLRFM, Waterford Today, Munster Express etc)
    Anybody can claim to have reliable source and bad mouth someone or some company. What can also happen is that a reliable source to you may not be a reliable source to someone else. for example, Friend 1 "paul who works in X told me Y is dodgy. " Friend 2 "paul, you listened to what tells ya, he's a clown he told me ......"
    You get the idea.

OP, first off your thread is interesting and a good idea, but if you step back and read it you are dishing Airtricity salespeople with no source of info to back it up. I think the reason a few are still questioning you about airtricity is because we dont all have access to reliable sources like you and if there is an Airtricity scam in operation why hasn't there been any warnings about it to the public. Is there anywhere this can be confirmed? (ie WLRFM, Waterford Today, Munster Express etc)
    Anybody can claim to have reliable source and bad mouth someone or some company. What can also happen is that a reliable source to you may not be a reliable source to someone else. for example, Friend 1 "paul who works in X told me Y is dodgy. " Friend 2 "paul, you listened to what tells ya, he's a clown he told me ......"
    You get the idea.

Point taken on board. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

No, I don't work for the ESB or any other company that is in competition with each other.

I am contributing.... stopping people getting all wound up about a potentially legal and above board sales people, from bad information.

There are scams on going in many area's.... but to single out Airtricity without any evidence is pure riddiculous.....and just to be sure I called the garda this morning and asked about any airtricity scams .... and I was told there where no sirtricity scams......

before you post comments like that, it is advisable to make sure you have the facts right....
    these sort of comments are very damaging and completely unhelpfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

When i went for a interview with airtricty sellers (Protea Direct) some of the people who were also there for the job were very dodgy. Also some of their tactics used to sell or make a close were very aggressive. I would not
    be surprised if this was a scam- the whole interview process reeked of pyramid scheme .

robtri wrote: »
    There are scams on going in many area's....

Please enlighten me, as this is what I'm looking for. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

During the summer we had a (foreign)man call to the door, my boyfriend answered and I was in the garden, he kept asking could he step in to show him a demonstration and wouldnt explain what it was or anything when asked, so my boyfriend told him he was busy and to basically go away.

2 hours later he knocked on the door again,I answered,my boyfriend was in the shower. He said he had called earlier and that my boyfriend told him to call back to make a demonstration,(this was a lie because I was listening to the last conversation) I was just saying "just tell me what you want to demonstrate and then I will consider letting you in"(not a hope was i gonna leave him in!) but he point blank refused to tell me, kept saying it will be quicker if i come in and show you. never showed any ID and walked away without showing or explaining what he wanted!! He was wearing a suit and had a notepad with names of my neighbours on it.

we also get those airtrcity people, found them very pushy and annoying. I might change to it,but will do it online .. come on, who gives out there bank details to strangers who knock on the door??

Advertisement