Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Door-To-Door Scams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My house is 3 storeys and I have the bell disabled so I generally don't even realise they are there. If I do spot a couple of Mormons or people selling stuff I think back to the strategy we used back in the college days up in Dublin, which is to answer the door completely naked and invite them in (perhaps for a cup of tea and a backrub).

No-one ever wants to talk to you then. Not even the Mormons, not the TV inspector, no-one. And even though they say they will be back, they never are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hills3

Who are they are they worth interviewing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I wouldnt buy anything at my door.. why would anyone..

If i do however need the service or think its valuable id just call them up and do details over phone with customer service/sales line.. Bascically dont buy anything at your door!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

hills3 wrote: »
    Who are they are they worth interviewing with?

Yeh Protea Direct are the best-they have quality staff they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hills3

You sure seems to be bad press?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

would make a lot of sense if it was a scam called hear 3 times the woman was very pushy , boarder aggressive, if it was not a scam airtricity lost a lot of business who would deal with a company who employees people like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

they must think everyone is stupid up our direction and even if it was legit(which it aint its plain and obvious just by looking at the email address

Well yeah some are pretty obvious (like that one) but people do fall for them unfortunately (take a look at the forums on http://www.scamwarners.com for victim accounts of these scams). There's a couple of variations on those types of scams (refugees, dying patients wanting help to donate money to charity) I got the following one recently:
    CHRIST BETHEL HOSPITAL
    11 RUE ABOBOTE,ABIDJAN
    IVORY COAST

Dearest Beloved ,

I am SISTER SUSANA PETERS KIETA from Ivory Coast. I was married to Late Chief Peters Kieta, who was a contractor with the government of Cote D'Ivoire before he died after few days in the hospital owing to high blood presure.

When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $8.700 Million with a Bank in Cote D lvoire for investment outside west Africa in fixed account stating the the fund will be transfered into an account of his foriegn partner .Presently this money is still in the custody of the Bank here in Cote DIvoire.And I want communicate to the bank that you are my late husband foriegn business partner based on your sincere accptance to assist.My Doctor told me that it is very likely i will die within the next 3 months due to A Blood cancer {LUCAMIA}.

Hence my late husband brother who would have inherited the fund is responsible for his death and i vowed not to associate with him for my dear life.

I have decided to donate the money for charity to A GOD FEARING PERSON like you since i do not have a child to inherit it and it better i do not die leaving the money here without it reaching the poor and the less privilaged ones in the society.OR I ALLOW THE FUND TO BE IN THE BANK.

As soon as the fund is transfered into your reciving cordinate,you will take 30 percent of the total amount and use the balance of the fund as stated below:

a).BUILDING A HOUSE FOR LORD.
    b).DONATION TO MOTHELESS BABY HOMES
    c).TRAINING CENTER FOR THE DEAF AND DUMP.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall tell my bank to transfer the
    money to you so that if i die now i know where i am going.And i have nothing to regret since i have fulfiled my heart desire .

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME for more information and details you might need from me.

God bless you.
    YOURS SINCERELY,
    SISTER SUSANA PETERS KIETA.
    These people really are scum who'd try and con people out of as much money as possible by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got a wicked pushy chap a few months back. He was an Irish chap. He wouldnt leave me close the door without telling me more or less if I didnt direct debit a few quid each week a child would die in africa. Said to me and all "you dont want that on your conscience do you?"
    bet he dont pay to save a child. Im involved in my own charity to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

hills3 wrote: »
    You sure seems to be bad press?:confused:

And what bad things have you heard about Protea Direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

just re the airtricity one. i had them here earlier, was thinking of changing over anyway, so just rang customer services and they verified they were legit in seconds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sleeplessoul

Just for your information about those sales people, they all come from different "Marketing Companies" the services they sell are indeed legit however the business structure is very Ponzi, they offer a "Multi Level Marketing" presentation to you that is to say they take in people with no experience put them out in the field and they get commission for their forms - 26 euro for a gas and electricity application an for a single application 14 euro, they knock on residents doors and try to offer the service to them they do this for about 8 hours a day it's very tiring and it costs to get around, I watched someone work their first day and made nothing.

This goes on for about 3 - 5 weeks they then move up to a Trainer Manager position where you train people up exactly they way you were taught when you first start, commission based still and it goes up a little more with experience and this lasts for about 4 - 8 months.

Then you have an Assistant Manager position which becomes more office based/finance/legal and you shadow the manager and motivate people, this goes for 2 - 3 months.

You then eventually make it to the top and become a Manager and set up an office and repeat the same process. They call it a 4 year management program that is pushed into a year.

Now I went for an interview out on the field for a place called Impala Direct LTD and I turned it down because everything is COMMISSION based it has to be the biggest pyramid scheme I have ever seen in my life. they want to set up 500 offices with a 1000 Managers and NONE OF IT IS SALARY BASED it is all commission.

They are hundreds of these places claiming this bull****. please if you choose to work for these kinds of firms be aware there have been hundreds of these businesses and they all fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

In relation to the above post Clearwater Advertising, a similar door-to-door, commision only group, have started hiring recently in Waterford. Watch out for them as they'll advertise sales and marketing jobs which are nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

In relation to the above post Clearwater Advertising, a similar door-to-door, commision only group, have started hiring recently in Waterford. Watch out for them as they'll advertise sales and marketing jobs which are nothing of the sort.

I suspect you would also lose your social welfare.

If they are a viable company they would at least off minimum wage, plus a commission.

dayshah wrote: »
    I suspect you would also lose your social welfare.

If they are a viable company they would at least off minimum wage, plus a commission.

I worked for a similar company many years ago and all cash was in hand. While I can't comment on Clearwater specifically I would imagine it would be a similar set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

airtricity people called to my house a while back and offered me 10% off my electric and 13% off my gas resulting in 23% total saving.

I quickly explained that their maths was wrong and they left. No answer for it!

dermo909 wrote: »
    airtricity people called to my house a while back and offered me 10% off my electric and 13% off my gas resulting in 23% total saving.

I quickly explained that their maths was wrong and they left. No answer for it!
    Ha, ha, ha. You are right, but fair play for thinking of it on the spot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arooaro0

I work for a marketing company on behalf of aiftricity and it is 100% not a get rich quick scheme nor a scam. I pull off two to three houndred regularly due to training but wen i dont train people and focus on offering cheaper electricity i would make between six houndred and a grand. Im 19 and was sceptic at first but when i found that it was performance based i kknew the harder i worked the more i made and i was sick of working harder dan evryone nd getn a crap wage.

im sure some of you have had a job wer u worked harder dan the waster that always had smoke brakes bu he got more hours nd pay more or d same. Dats the benifits of this job.

if ur nt gna work hard then yeh we dont want u cz then ud just waste our time training u cz wer all building our own business because if u put the effort in u can be make 100k a year regularly when u reach ownership stage and theirs guys that get ther in les than a yearb huever said they often fail when they hit that posistion then their stupid ha cause how can a business fail when it has no expences other than rent haha want any info P.m me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I may also have magic beans for sale, will accept a healthy cow ONO........

PM for further details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

arooaro0 wrote: »
    I pull off two to three houndred regularly due to training

Wrists like steel I bet.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I work for a marketing company on behalf of aiftricity and it is 100% not a get rich quick scheme nor a scam. I pull off two to three houndred regularly due to training but wen i dont train people and focus on offering cheaper electricity i would make between six houndred and a grand. Im 19 and was sceptic at first but when i found that it was performance based i kknew the harder i worked the more i made and i was sick of working harder dan evryone nd getn a crap wage.

im sure some of you have had a job wer u worked harder dan the waster that always had smoke brakes bu he got more hours nd pay more or d same. Dats the benifits of this job.

if ur nt gna work hard then yeh we dont want u cz then ud just waste our time training u cz wer all building our own business because if u put the effort in u can be make 100k a year regularly when u reach ownership stage and theirs guys that get ther in les than a yearb huever said they often fail when they hit that posistion then their stupid ha cause how can a business fail when it has no expences other than rent haha want any info P.m me

Were you not taught how how to write a proper sentence at school as your spelling and your grammar is awful:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

That hurt my eyes and brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I give up, Google translation comes up with nothing. It seems to use a latin alphabet but does not match any written language that I have encountered.

I see the title of the thread is Airtricity though, which reminds me of the genius representing them who called by in a Michael Guineys suit and entertained me enormously by telling me that he was going to be a millionaire in 6 months because he was making so much from selling Airtricity. He then sincerely told me that he was considering upgrading his 1992 Honda Civic to a Lamborghini Gallardo by year end. I felt embarrased for him. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I've since remembered that some guy called to my door about a year ago wanting to sell me something/do a demonstration inside the house. As he was telling me about doing the demonstration he put his leg out onto the step outside the door as if he was going to walk straight in. I politely told him to get lost.

I bought my house in the city a couple of years ago and I've since come to the conclusion that if there's a knock at the door its someone trying to sell me something. It gets slightly irratating after a while trying to come up with nice ways of saying no thanks, I've got enough electricity and my driveway does'nt need to be brought up to the highest possible standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

To be fair, the "marketing" companies such as the one arooaro0 works for have been doing pretty well lately because they've got a nice temporary contract with Airtricity, a reputable company who actually have a decent promotion on offer. When Airtricity are finished with Waterford, God only knows what other company will require the services of the door-to-door sales companies. My money is on it not being an easy sell like Airtricity but more towards the polar opposite of the scale and spending time wandering around estates trying to flog off suitcases.

With that being said, such companies are not scams. They may use deceiving tactics to perk peoples interest and but if you do investigate their interviews and training, you'll know what you're getting yourself into and can just write it off as a waste of a day. Some people do very well out of it because they're good sellers and have good instincts, others (probably most) end up investing more time and money into it than they'll ever get back from it!

AdMMM wrote: »
    With that being said, such companies are not scams. They may use deceiving tactics to perk peoples interest

This was my point when posting about Clearwater in here. The job is not a scam. If you can stand selling anything door to door and can put up with long hours with no guarantee of pay then you might do well.

The ads, the interviews, the techniques they use to draw you in, all before you really find out what you're actually doing....this is the scam in my opinion. Clearwater were asking people to go for training in Dublin before being officially hired. Travelling to Dublin, and staying over if necessary, comes from your own pocket. This I feel is unfair if you don't know the ins and outs of the job. However as AdMMM says a bit of research will reveal all and allow you to make an informed decision. Hopefully this thread will become part of this research and if so I've done my part!

The ads, the interviews, the techniques they use to draw you in, all before you really find out what you're actually doing....this is the scam in my opinion. Clearwater were asking people to go for training in Dublin before being officially hired. Travelling to Dublin, and staying over if necessary, comes from your own pocket. This I feel is unfair if you don't know the ins and outs of the job. However as AdMMM says a bit of research will reveal all and allow you to make an informed decision. Hopefully this thread will become part of this research and if so I've done my part!

But does that not apply to all scams?

dayshah wrote: »
    But does that not apply to all scams?

Of course. Threads like this exist to expose these scams. That's why I posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 being scamed

wellbutty wrote: »
    Not sure how the mods will treat an allegation like that!!!

The Airtricity guys were doing their rounds yesterday and if theyre bogus then they deserve whatever they find in my bank account! It was FREEZING cold, they were at it for 12 hours, there's a fair bit of paperwork etc.

airtricity 1890 404080 (get from their voucher) is number for air side motor
    airtricity1890 81 81 10 (airtricity.com) is food processing company

is com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You might want to try the right prefix which is 1850... and perhaps watch a few episodes of Sherlock Holmes to help improve your investigative work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 being scamed

AdMMM wrote: »
    You might want to try the right prefix which is 1850... and perhaps watch a few episodes of Sherlock Holmes to help improve your investigative work.

ok still same
    1850 40 40 80 air side motor
    1850 81 81 10 food process company ,

pls also help us find the company by offering the CRO reg number (CRO.ie Irish Company registration number), head office address, and landline so we can pass on to the gardai to investivate.

pls also forward us Airtricity's irish goverent regulaton licese number if this company run gas electricty business , You must have this one of this thing.

written be scammed

Advertisement