Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nzae86

Permanent Resident
    no of posts is irrelevent doesnt mean by knoweldege of the australian immigration system is any less valid than someone with 10,000 posts on a whole load of topics.

2003 live in brisbane since then, became a citizen last january.

there a number of people on this forum telling you, your incorrect i am a 110% certain the 457 visa is not a PR visa, it is however a good stepping stone if you go down the ENS route and will make PR through your employer a formality.

i've been throught full process, eta-417-2x457-175-citizenship plus adding a defactot to the 457 and 175. i'm not saying it to rain on your parade i'm only highlighting it so you can sort it out.

if you believe i'm incorrect please refer me to a link on the www.immi.gov.au site that says otherwise, or even a link on a speclised immigration forum such as brisbane expats.

it will be easy to get the ENS sorted for you, but dont leaave it the way it is if you want PR as you dont have it now.

FYI

here is some info from a search on google...

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Work_permits_457/307

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Temporary Resident
    mahatma coat You should consider getting a new lawyer.

I'm not a MARA registered migration agent but having been through 457 and PR myself I know that to be a Permanent resident you have to apply for a PR type visa. Its not hard to find the information on the www.immi.gov.au web site.

PR is gonna set you back $7k all in inc your lawyer fees if you dont use a lawyer it will still cost about $3K but to be honest if you dont know the difference between PR and TR I would get a professional to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

De Facto
    Temp resident. Here for just over 3 years. On a sponsored work permit.
    Will apply for residency in the new year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

WHV (2nd year)
    Jaysus theres me labourin under the pretense that the First 457 was enough to Qualify me as a PR, So I Just Rang Eugene, Apparently you are right, Bugger, well good that its clarified this side of the expiry date on my 457, I should really pay more attention to these sorts of things.

So today we learned that Mahatma dosent listen when people tell him important things about his livin in Australia, but ya all know that theres feck all chance of me doing anything about the situation till a week before my Passport expires.

Just checked, Passport expires first, then Visa a year and a bit later.

whats that old joke
    The fact that I couldnt be arsed fillin out the forms should Automatically qualify me to be an Australian:D:D:D

ETA
    What part of Brisbane are you in???

if yer Around Kedron we're havin a Barbie and some MudCrabs later on in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nzae86

Permanent Resident
    Jaysus theres me labourin under the pretense that the First 457 was enough to Qualify me as a PR, So I Just Rang Eugene, Apparently you are right, Bugger, well good that its clarified this side of the expiry date on my 457, I should really pay more attention to these sorts of things.

So today we learned that Mahatma dosent listen when people tell him important things about his livin in Australia, but ya all know that theres feck all chance of me doing anything about the situation till a week before my Passport expires.

Just checked, Passport expires first, then Visa a year and a bit later.

whats that old joke
    The fact that I couldnt be arsed fillin out the forms should Automatically qualify me to be an Australian:D:D:D

ETA
    What part of Brisbane are you in???

if yer Around Kedron we're havin a Barbie and some MudCrabs later on in the afternoon

i only brought it up so you knew the story, you can be here forever on a 457 once its kept being renewed but at no point will it automatically turn into a PR visa just because of time spent. if you go down the 175 visa it may take you till 2012, the quickest way for you would be the ENS you'll have to talk to your employer but shouldnt be a problem seeing as they have sponsored you for so long.

get it sorted tho asap because if you loose your job for whatever reason you have 28 days to leave australia or to find another sponsor, you also need PR for buying houses (2nd hand houses that is) you can buy new, or you can buy 2nd hand but you HAVE to sell when you leave Australia on the expiry/cancellation of your 457, new house you can keep. car loans etc if they check will only be given over the lent of the remaining time on your visa, your bank problem wont check as you have been banking with them so long.

obviously Brisbane is now your home so get it sorted asap, ENS should be painless and quick.

Best of luck (sorry have christmas party in Samford tonight)

• Advertisement
Advertisement