Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a bike in galway

Options
  • 01-12-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Anyone any suggestions of where to buy a bike in Galway
    - what are your views of the local shops ?

Blánaid
    www.galwaybikes.com
    irish cycle chic

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Expensive.

If you know exactly what it is you want, buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

nigels in liosbaun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Nigels Cyclestore in Liosban is where i bought my last and i'm delighted with both the bike and the service.

Prices are very competitive with the online prices for the model i bought cos i was sure to check at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Walsh's cycles at the bottom of Woodquay, accross the road from argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

not kearney's, find the owner himself unpleasant to deal with and one of their sales guys just tries to make you buy the most expensive bike in the place.

does nigels have moutain bikes in the €200 price range? always taught they just dealt with high end racers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I am looking for a bike too.

i went to two shops in town.
    one guy was really unhelpful and the other guy seemed like he was trying to fleece me especially since i didn't know what i was talking about.

when they bicycle turn into high performance machines?
    bring back nelly i say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

+1 for Expensive!! dam the overpricing on somethings in this town is a nightmare and kearneys, and nigels are extremly guilty of that.
    halfords have a branch in castlebar so they should deliver to galway,
    always found them very good, and have used www.chainreaction.co.uk in the past there prices are very good and they have a good range of bikes and kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only reason I can think of to buy anything in town is convenience. You'll go in and get it same day. Or you can try it out in person, which is a bit of a gamble when you by online.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

+1 Nigel's - Great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Researched the bike I wanted on the net, found a shop in town with it, tried it out, and went up north to buy it. Saved myself over 150 Euro.

I knew exactly what I wanted and I had my reasons, but in most places I found the staff kinda difficult. I felt like I was being treated like a silly little girl.

The people in Nigels were good - but it was overpriced compared to what I ended up spending up north. Kearneys had nothing I was looking for. Had a previous negative experience in west of ireland cycling so I never bothered going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

flugel wrote: »
    not kearney's, find the owner himself unpleasant to deal with
    yeah what is that guys problem? miserable doesn't begin to describe him.

As i said, I found Nigel quiet competitive price wise for the model i was buying. I could have got it a bit cheaper online but it was my first performance road bike so i wanted to make sure i had the right fit and one on one aftersales service that you don't get online. At the end of the day he did me a great all in deal for pedals, shoes, ometer and other bits of kit which made it much a muchness wth the online price... and i've been in to him since with various stupid questions and he's always happy to help, at least acts genuinely interested whether he is or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

thanks for all the suggestions - realise online and the North are cheaper, but want to keep the business here in Galway if at all possible.

Blanaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rumblefish wrote: »
    thanks for all the suggestions - realise online and the North are cheaper, but want to keep the business here in Galway if at all possible.

Blanaid

I tried doing that recently for various items (not bikes though). 10-15% percent you could stomach. However when bricks and mortar shops are twice as expensive as online retailers it's very hard to justify it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

+1 for Expensive!! dam the overpricing on somethings in this town is a nightmare and kearneys, and nigels are extremly guilty of that.
    halfords have a branch in castlebar so they should deliver to galway,
    always found them very good, and have used www.chainreaction.co.uk in the past there prices are very good and they have a good range of bikes and kit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

If you are going to buy a bike, don't forget to consider the cycle to work scheme. It might be worth your while. The scheme has been discussed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Mountain Trail, in the Cornstore ftw..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

flugel wrote: »
    not kearney's, find the owner himself unpleasant to deal with and one of their sales guys just tries to make you buy the most expensive bike in the place.

Thought it was just me he didn't like! :D

I was a lot happier when I discovered Nigel's. Better for spare parts anyway.

Advertisement