Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd v Tottenham Hotspur

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Good result. Anderson and Vidic were top class. Thought Da Laet did well aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

delighted with that win, that was more or less spurs strongest team and we had a convincing win in the end

very happy with the likes of ando, de laet, vidic (a rock) gibson (still needs to improve his passing) and berba was great

thought when kiko came on he really showed why he should be starting

unfortunately welbeck and obertan were very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kenon wrote: »
    Good result.

Bit of a yawn-fest though.

I'd put that down to Spurs - they looked like they didn't really want it. De Laet did well - haven't seen a lot of him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was happy with Gibson tonight.

Goals aside I thought he contributed well enough in midfield. demanded the ball as I would have liked him and got himself into decent defensive positions. Still needs to work on the defensive side of his game, but that is a more promising performance than we generally see from him.

Obviously, the two goals were great to see from him to - he does have a real talent for shooting from range. I think he is a player we should utilize more in the 0-0 frustrating games where the opposition have their team behind the ball. in those situations there should be space in teh pocket, which is where he is dangerous from.

THought Ando did well to - took the responsibility as the senior member of the midfield.

Still, it wasn't a great performance overall - Spurs were unlucky to be behind at HT. the second half was more comfortable for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Really didnt think De Laet was good at all.

Looks so very average. Was caught out of position a fair few times, no real pace to think of, first touch is quite dodgy.

Cant see how anyone would have thought he played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Satisfactory night. The first half was pretty much opposite to the Besiktas game, where plenty of chances were created but none could be finished. Spurs enjoyed the majority of possession in the first 45, but United took their chances (two superb strikes, particularly the second).

Gibson and Anderson imposed themselves very well, played with more urgency and were much better than last week. The defence played well, De Laet and Vidic in particular. De Laet has been impressive in every appearance for United so far, I really think he's further along than Rafael and I'd be very comfortable seeing him in the starting XI.

Decent return from Berbatov, looked just half a yard off the pace for his only real chance, but held things up well and had a decent hand in Gibson's second goal. Wellbeck had a fairly industrious game, hassled the Spurs defence well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Really didnt think De Laet was good at all.

Looks so very average. Was caught out of position a fair few times, no real pace to think of, first touch is quite dodgy.

Cant see how anyone would have thought he played well.

Expectations on the chap are lower to be fair. None of us expecting him to break into the first team so as long as he plays without making errors or looking dodgy people will be pleased (with him being cover in mind). As long as he does the basic defending he's good cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Expectations on the chap are lower to be fair. None of us expecting him to break into the first team so as long as he plays without making errors or looking dodgy people will be pleased (with him being cover in mind). As long as he does the basic defending he's good cover.

saf has said that he's primary a RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good result, mediocre performance

PIG - wasn't really tested, but did well when called upon. Wes Brown didn't appreciate that dig at the end though !
    Neville - poor
    Brown - solid
    Vida - monster
    Ctrl Alt Del - lost the ball several times when he tried to go forward. Pretty good defensively though.

Obertan - not a great game. Didn't link up very well, and had little influence on the game.
    Gibbo - pretty solid game, and 2 nice finishes. Fergie is gonna be gloating like crazy tomorrow :p
    Ando - good game
    Park - not great at all, but he's only back

Welbeck - can't remember really
    Berba - business as usual. Perhaps coulda got onto Obertan's ball, but it was a stretch. He hasn't played with Obie before, so perhaps misread his intentions and so lost the yard or two needed to get onto it. Love the new hair.

Would have liked to see Mickey Owen get a run out with Berbatov. They linked well during preseason, and could really be majestic if they get gametime together. Berba's subtle touches setting lads up, and Owen's positioning and awareness... yummy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Does this mean Gibson is awesome now?:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    eh yeah, we always knew he was gonna be the next big thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

He's the new Roy Scholes! :D

Also hoping this dominant display by Vidic signals him putting his dodgy little spell since the Liverpool match well and truly behind him. That was the old Nemanja out there tonight.

Also hoping this dominant display by Vidic signals him putting his dodgy little spell since the Liverpool match well and truly behind him. That was the old Nemanja out there tonight.
    I'm thinking we should send him over to Bulgaria to handle this little problem Berbatov has been having...

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm thinking we should send him over to Bulgaria to handle this little problem Berbatov has been having...

He'd take a dozen armed Bulgarian gangsters with his bare hands, no bother.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good win for United and I'm pleased for Gibson. I also had a good chuckle at this bit of Barney Ronay's minute-by-minute coverage of the game in The Guardian:
    4 mins Berbatov lays it off to Gibson who shoots miles wide form 30 yards. People go on about his shooting a lot. I think it might just be one of those things that gets around.
    16 mins GOAL FOR UNITED!! Wow, what a goal. And ha ha yes take that Darron Gibson really can shoot after all. He picks the ball up and hits a spanking daisy cutter through the legs of Bassong and into the corner. That was a lovely strike.
    39 mins GOAL FOR UNITED!! And it's another brilliant strike from Gibson who, you know, I think can actually shoot quite well. Plays a nice quick one two with Welbeck and then leans back and curls a beauty past Gomes and into the top corner from outside the box. Three shots, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good game, very happy with it. Great game from Anderson who really imposed himself, and Gibson who did very well with his two strikes. Let's hope he can push on and improve from it, I feel the team improved significantly from the Beskitas game, lets hope they can push on for the final game.

Great to see Tosic get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Gibsons goals were impressive. He has a great shot, and hes a desent midfielder. Good for Ireland aswell, hope Trap gives him more chances. Ferguson wouldnt rate him so highly if he wasnt any good. Delighted he didnt pick Northern Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Anderson was awesome last night and hopefully thats the corner turned, exactly the right attitude to have on the pitch. Gibson played well enough in general, had three long range efforts and two were obviusly hum dingers. Hopefully he can start to feel like a first teamer now and push more for starts, I like him a lot.

Elated with De Laet (see what I did there? huge chunks of the game were so boring I worked out that anagram all by myself). He has a lot of potential there and maybe will be the new Evans, in a couple of seasons will be part of the firts team squad. Vidic & brown were rock solid at the back.

The rest were average at best, Welbeck was simply awful and has gone backwards this season imo. Berba is only back from injury but still he looked sluggish. The rest huffed and puffed but rarely looked on form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dave! wrote: »
    Neville - poor

In fairness Lennon had to switch wings because he was getting no joy on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Ferguson must see something in Gibson, he got it right with Fletcher so here hoping he gets near that standard. He seems very laid back and just needs to impose himself more on the the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No lennon had to switch wings because Bently was crap on the right Lennon and Bale both had his number last night

Bale was the only good performer from my point of view last night. The whole team didn't look bothered I don't know if that was because they where playing "Kids" or that it was the Carling Cup but I'm hoping Everton take a huge backlash on Sunday.

No lennon had to switch wings because Bently was crap on the right Lennon and Bale both had his number last night

Once Lennon went past Neville in the first half.

Can't remember any other time either went past, got a cross in or got into the box.

Boggles wrote: »
    Once Lennon went past Neville in the first half.

Can't remember any other time either went past, got a cross in or got into the box.
    To be fair can anyone remember a tackle in the first half we just passed it around and then passed it to a red shirt

To be fair can anyone remember a tackle in the first half we just passed it around and then passed it to a red shirt

One sticks out.

Vidic raping Bentley on the right corner.

:D

Boggles wrote: »
    One sticks out.

Vidic raping Bentley on the right corner.

:D
    Ya Bentley was very poor his crosses terrible he should be gone in january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Utd did just about enough to win last night. Spurs basically gave up when Gibson scored the first one. They (Spurs) could have been at least two up at that point. Considering how good Lennon was in the 9-1 game he was very poor last night. Bentley I once rated but I think he thinks hes the new David Beckham, not worth his place. Bale was Spurs best player last night. Anderson had his best game for Utd last night. De Laet was very impressive and Nemanja was on top form, nothing was going to get by him. Gibson is someone I've yet to be fully convinced by but he did a pretty reasonable impression of the Ginger Prince last night. When he hits a ball they stay hit, but his accuracy needs to be worked on, one shot he had just before he scored went so wide it nearly went out for a throw!

Overall it was much easier than expected, I am by nature a pessimist and would not have been surprised if we had lost last night. Chelski in the semi and cITY in the final, I can feel it in my water ;o)

Advertisement