Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Recommendation - Teenager (Music, Camera, Texts)

Options
  • 01-12-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi All

My Teenage daughter is looking for the usual new Christmas phone:

What features are important to you in a phone?
    • Music / MP3
    • Memory card
    • Camera
    • Bluetooth
    • Texting ‘friendly’ (she never stops)
    Form factor
    • Touchscreen
    • Slider (like the cool ones in US Music videos) :rolleyes:
    Internet
    • WiFi (nice to have)
    Operator
    • O2 Currently
    • Pre-pay
    Price range: €150 or less

She likes the look of the Samsung Genio and Ping, but she is not on Vodafone. The LG KS360 is okay, but most of her friends already have it, and she said it seems to have a few bugs e.g. randomly turns off.

From my perspective she is also a regular dropper of her phone, and therefore damage is a regular occurrance, so please take into consideration also.

Opinions, advice welcome, also where to source at the best price if sim free.

Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Samsung tocco lite

doesn't have wifi though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A phone with WiFi for €150 or less? Best of luck! :D

Go with the Tocco Lite I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Samsung tocco lite

doesn't have wifi though

She said specifically no to that, been around to long according to her.

Sorry should have included above. :o

basquille wrote: »

Well WIFI could be a nice to have, if thats the case. Initial post updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Meteor have the 5530 for €140 which has Wifi. It would be a great choice but I'm not sure if o2 do it.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Nokia-5530-XpressMusic-Review-review-r_2252.html

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/nokia_5530/#/in_all_phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I stand corrected..! :o

O2 don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nokia 6600i is €149, and meets everything, but its not a touchscreen. Its a slide phone though, and its quite tough for the dropping. The fact its not touch screen makes it more text friendly. And its not a cent over budget ;)

To take 10% off the price if you buy online, use "O2COUPON".

The LG GW520 might be worth a look at too

What about SIM free options or unlocking from other networks -- does that improve choice any ?

eddiem74 wrote: »
    What about SIM free options or unlocking from other networks -- does that improve choice any ?

Not really with a budget of €150

I stand corrected..! :o

O2 don't do it!

Don't do the 5530 ? It's on their site for €179 (less 10% if coupon is used)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

How about the SE T715 or Samsung Cara on 3, both are €139 on line. You could sign her up to Best of Both 15. That gives you unlimited texts to any network, 40 mins to any network and 40 mins 3 to 3 for €15 per month. Bets of both 15 is a sim only product so you will have to get the phone on 3pay then just put in the best of both sim.
    T715 is here: http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/sony-ericsson-t715-pink-3pay.htm
    Samsung Cara is here: http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/samsung-s5600-cara-white-3pay.htm if you buy the white Cara in a 3 Store it comes with a free protective case

What you go for in the end Eddie? :)

Still not picked would you believe. :rolleyes:

I am leaning towards the LG KS360, although her friends say it turns off a bit, just because with that she gets a new phone next August also.

As for the other suggestions she has had similiar and doesn't like the look of them, etc.. Hard to please..........:)

Am just gonna have to run with something soon, time is running out ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Happy Clapper

The Nokia 5530 Illuvial is exclusive to Carphone Warehouse and exclusive to Meteor. The Illuvial is a silver/white and pink version and is ideal for a girl. This costs €159 and is a great phone with wi-fi, touchscreen, et all.... It's hard to unblock these from meteor though so she may have to switch provider. My daughter has the LG KS360 and it is a bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nokia 6760, 169 with meteor, No wifi but you get everthing else, should stand the test of time longer then the ks360

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-6760-slide

it's not on the meteor site yet but you can get it in meteor stockists nationwide, meteor are also offering 150 free credit if you move your number to them.

The Nokia 5530 Illuvial is exclusive to Carphone Warehouse and exclusive to Meteor. The Illuvial is a silver/white and pink version and is ideal for a girl. This costs €159 and is a great phone with wi-fi, touchscreen, et all.... It's hard to unblock these from meteor though so she may have to switch provider. My daughter has the LG KS360 and it is a bit of a disaster.

Thanks, however with all the texting she does, I think a touch screen would not be great.
    Nokia 6760, 169 with meteor, No wifi but you get everthing else, should stand the test of time longer then the ks360

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-6760-slide

it's not on the meteor site yet but you can get it in meteor stockists nationwide, meteor are also offering 150 free credit if you move your number to them.

Interesting but the reviews are not great. I do like Nokia myself though.

Also, as her friends, parents are on O2, the free calls/texts is handy.

Decisions, decisions.......... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

Hey everyone i want the LG GW520 But im not sure about the touchscreen is it good?

Advertisement