Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrowind :D

Options
  • 01-12-2009 4:43pm

Picked up my copy of Morrowind from the Post Office Depot earlier.. Can't wait to get home from work and lay into it.

Seyda Neen is the start if I remember correctly? Must have put 600+ hours into it before I lost my save file years ago..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That boat docked at Seyda Neen is that starting point, playing it again myself atm and so is my 11 for the first time. It's great to see him enjoying his first proper first person rpg rather then a fps or a strat game.

I still remember so much of it.. Silt rider up to Balmora, Mages Guild over to Vivec.. Then all the way over to the Telvanni city. Oblivion was good but not a patch on it.

You've an 11 year old playin it aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yup I installed it for him on his pc about 2 weeks ago, took him about a week to stop bunny hopping all over the place and stop treating it like gary's mod :D but he's gotten cuaght up in the story and find out what happens next, the fact there was so much info in the books about the place had him spend his gaming time yesterday just wandering around in game reading what ever ones he could get his hands on.

The only flaw in the game that I can think of is that it isn't multiplayer and I don't mean MMO but local network game enabled.

Always thought it would be have great to have been multi-player aswell..

If you're playing on PC, you can get alot of mods for the game.. add new islands/houses etc and make the graphics better. I'll be playing on the 360 this time round tho so cant change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol, I honestly checked the post date as soon as I clicked on this thread :D

Morrowind was my first attempt at playing a wRPG. Dumped about 100 hours into it before realizing I had accomplished nothing. I think the last thing I accomplished was getting some actor a part in a play in Telvanni city.

Just quit outright, it was seriously ruining my ability to study and concentrate in college. It was actually the main reason I never even sniffed around WoW. I'd be on the dole right now if I'd even given it a chance or accepted one of my afflicted friends invites: "they give you the first month free man... just come on, give it a go... everyones doing it"

• Advertisement

Never went near WoW either because I didn't want to be as addicted to anything else like I was to Morrowind. But then Halo 3 came along and ruled my life for a year during college.

I finished pretty much everything in Morrowind first time round, was the only one out of my friends who went all the way and killed Dagoth Ur :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Comparing Morrowind to WoW? Is NOTHING sacred?

Beautiful game, far superior to Oblivion, that piece of bland hackeyed trash. One look at the silt striders had me hooked. I always wanted to find one in the wild to tame and ride about. So deep, otherworldly and enthralling. The Dwemer ruins and Daedric temples were brilliant. And unless you were powerful enough, bloody scary. Slow burning plot that became really, really epic. The NPS didn't look like bug-eyed freaks, unless they were genuine bug-eyes monsters.

Suffers from its size though. I put hundreds of hours into it, then left it for a while when I was changing computers and such. Jumping back in is difficult because there's so much going on in the later stages of the game. Also the journal doesn't do a great job of tracking quests.

Oh well. I shall now reinstall, transfer my save games off the memory stick, and get lost all over again. Maybe I'll even find the time to visit the Nord country this time around!

I remember when I lost my save games.. god it was painful. I didn't even re-install because going back to scratch after being so leveled up would have been rotten.

I said back then that I'd play it again some day and I finally went looking on adverts there last week and got a copy of Captain Slow IRL.. Gonna buy pringles, a pizza and some monkey nuts and chill out for the night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Do be careful. I found "chilling out for the night" usually meant going to bed around 10am when Morrowind was involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ah Morrowind . . . most certainly one of my favorite games of all time. I put hours and hours into the game!

Dont get me wrong, Oblivion was awesome - but in twenty years Morrowind is the game that will stand out in my mind.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I absolutly loved Morrowind. I had never played anything like it when it came out, and i put so much time into it. Was a truly fantastic game. Loads of bits still stick out in my mind, and the game world was spectacular. I loved Oblivion, but it wasnt anywhere near as good as Morrowind. Give me Morrowind, with Oblivions combat and engine, and i'd be a happy, happy man.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    lol, I honestly checked the post date as soon as I clicked on this thread :D
    Same here :)

Ohh, think i might be giving it a try again soon :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN0vYp9nabQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

fantastic game, Oblivion is very good but I think Morrowind just nicks it.

I always remember after going up a few levels I would walk to the Dren Plantation near the center of the continent and kill the guys in the house there because they all have awesome glass armor/swords etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmm......Im tempted to try this now myself,does it work ok on vista 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Head straight to Ghostgate and steal some glass armour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Very tempted to try this out. will report back !

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Morrowind could stand to be updated with some nicer models and textures, and is badly in need of a Journal improvement, but damned if it wasnt one of the greatest games ever made.

it can be updated with better textures etc. on the PC version!

And a journal upgrade/add on??? want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

remember spending hours arranging all my loot in one of the big manor houses in balmora - hundreds of the high end weapons I'd pinched from round the place all nicely layed out on the tables - ye took ~20fps hit just walking through it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Ah, diving for treasure in wrecks, finding underwater cities, varied landscapes, becoming head of the fighters and mages guilds and completing the main story. Making an amulet that could make me fly everywhere too (but still taking an hour to get across the map !).. Many fond memories of that game. I got it at launch played about halfway through and abandoned it for 5 years, blasting through it all a couple of years ago when the better half went home to the folks for christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Morrowind is still my favourite game of all time. I played through it twice on the original Xbox, sinking hundreds of hours into it and its two expansion packs.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 just never caught my imagination in the same way, although Dragon Age is the first game in years to catch my attention the way Morrowind did.

I keep hearing about Dragon Age.. Must look it up. I've been pretty much only playin FPS for the last 3 years so missed everything else that was happening.

Lovin having Morrowind again but it doesn't run perfect on the 360.. Gonna be gettin an original xbox soon for xbmc and morrowind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I've just started Morrowind myself, would love some pointers in how to make it look all purty like.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I too just started Morrowind! lol, there's clearly something in the air :)

Just completed some tasks and I've dinged to level three. My first time playing a game anything like this, it's pretty damn awesome and the fact that it runs my netbook means I'm able to play it whilst on the move :)

I've just been sent off to get some sort of a cube for the fighters guild, but I keep dying in that particular dungeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

So many memories.

I was so much younger and a more innocent gamer when I was playing Morrowind.

Can anyone else remember that astonishingly overpowered stealth amulet?

no but i remember the boots of blinding speed and basically hacking your way to 100% blindness immunity by picking the right race, birthsign, and then creating a very expensive spell that lasted for 1 second. good times.

The only problem morrowind suffered from was there was easilly too much you were able to do. I'd get myself completely lost wandering off on a whim for a few days and when I tried to go backtracking through the quest log I got very quickly confused about "Who is Francis and where do I bring him his Skooma?!?" As I said, that Journal system really irritated me. Whomever wrote the quest entries left too much vagueness to chance. Wouldnt kill you to say Francis in the Mages Guild in Balmora needs his Skooma Juice!

Frank is a hoor for the Skooma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Reading this thread makes me want to play it again :D

First time starting the game up and leaving the ship to the registration office, my jaw literally dropped at the time from the graphics and water effects. Although i preferred Oblivion's combat engine, pretty much everything else in Morrowind was much better, especially loved how the entire world was created like finding abandoned mines that are now sub-merged underwater etc.

I do also agree though that the journal could be quite hard to manage at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

at the risk of sounding shallow.....does it hold up well these days? is it good enough in itself that one can look past the dated visauals? i played oblivion when it came out and really enjoyed it, my first rpg ever and i gave it so many hours i've been avoiding rpgs ever since. i loved how big it seemed, being able to just wander in the forest and find old mines and houses/castles to expore.

Advertisement