Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pleazzzz help !

• 01-12-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Im looking for help please.
    I have a Ripwave modem from irishbroadband & im looking to connect a netgear wireless router so that i can access bb from my laptop & from my son's play station 3.
    How to i configure the router & laptop.
    I tried connecting the modem to router & cheched the wireless connections on my laptop, but it didn't pick up the router.
    What am i not doing right. I'm no wiz so if you can help, please explain as simply as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connect IN port on Netgear with data cable to the OUT port on the modem, then connect to neatgear from laptop with another data cable.
    Open Internet Explorer on laptop.
    Type http://192.168.0.1 (could be http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) in the browser. This should allow you to configure the netgear and enable wireless on it and also set security.

If you only have one data cable connect to Netgear from laptop and enable the wireless first. Then use cable between Netgear and modem.

And of course make sure wireless is enabled on laptop, sometime there is also a little switch on the lappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

Magnus wrote: »
    Connect IN port on Netgear with data cable to the OUT port on the modem, then connect to neatgear from laptop with another data cable.
    Open Internet Explorer on laptop.
    Type http://192.168.0.1 (could be http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) in the browser. This should allow you to configure the netgear and enable wireless on it and also set security.

If you only have one data cable connect to Netgear from laptop and enable the wireless first. Then use cable between Netgear and modem.

And of course make sure wireless is enabled on laptop, sometime there is also a little switch on the lappy.

Tanx for info Magnus.
    I have tried what you advised but on 192.168.1.1 i got a prompt message saying the following......

"The server 192.168.1.1 at WGR614v6 requires a username and password.
    Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."

What can i do now?, if anything !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

username should be admin, password admin......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This should be pretty simple,

Cable/Wall jack -> Modem -> Router via Router's Input/Modem Port

Should be able to see the connection wirelessly at that point.

If you cant, without changing the above setup, connect the laptop to thr Router via one of the 4 or so LAN ports, on the Wire.

If the router is giving you a login challenge that you cant bypass, do a Factory Reset on the router (find the reset button on the back and hold down for 10 seconds). Then follow the instructions for the router on the netgear site. At this point you should already be able to detect the Netgear's wireless connection on the laptop.

Usually the default login is something simple like Administrator with no password (ie. leave the field blank) from there you can set up a Router administrator password; setup the Wireless connection's Name and the password/key to access the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the login for some routers is admin for user name and password is the password

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    This should be pretty simple,

Cable/Wall jack -> Modem -> Router via Router's Input/Modem Port

Should be able to see the connection wirelessly at that point.

If you cant, without changing the above setup, connect the laptop to thr Router via one of the 4 or so LAN ports, on the Wire.

If the router is giving you a login challenge that you cant bypass, do a Factory Reset on the router (find the reset button on the back and hold down for 10 seconds). Then follow the instructions for the router on the netgear site. At this point you should already be able to detect the Netgear's wireless connection on the laptop.

Usually the default login is something simple like Administrator with no password (ie. leave the field blank) from there you can set up a Router administrator password; setup the Wireless connection's Name and the password/key to access the network.

Great advise tanx.... i managed to link router to pc successfully but although the wireless connection is showing "Excellent" signal strength, i still cannot get out onto the internet. What am i not doing????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

r*oc wrote: »
    Great advise tanx.... i managed to link router to pc successfully but although the wireless connection is showing "Excellent" signal strength, i still cannot get out onto the internet. What am i not doing????
    icon3.gif.... couple things to try.

The first is to go into your browser's tools page and go to the internet options. In the Connections tab, go to the LAN settings button and check your options. It should probably be in Automatic mode if its not already; and the Connections tab should be set to never dial a connection: the Base modem handles that.

image001.jpg
    ie-lan-settings.png

Next go into your Router's setup pages like you were trying to do before and you will probably have to configure your Gateway and DHCP settings, based on what your Service Provider says you need to set the values to - it depends on whether they require Network Login Information, and whether they do Static or Dynamic IP (and iirc most providers are Static) and rarely but sometimes a provider may need to you to input Proxy values into the LAN settings page above. So go ahead and give them a call. The setup page should look something similar to this:

netgear%20basic%20settings%20tab.jpg

My best guess though is you just need to call your provider to get the Static IP adress/DNS information and plug it in there. You might be able to find that information printed on the side of the modem though as well. If not there, the modem should also have a setup page similar to the Netgear one above that you can dial into, and it will have the values there.

....isnt this fun?

Cheers Overheal, i'll give imagine a call tomorrow to see if i can get that info, although they have already informed me that they dont support wireless on ripwave.
    As for this being fun..................... DON'T THINK SO BUDDY, This is killing me.
    Tanx for all your help though.... really appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

r*oc wrote: »
    Cheers Overheal, i'll give imagine a call tomorrow to see if i can get that info, although they have already informed me that they dont support wireless on ripwave.
    As for this being fun..................... DON'T THINK SO BUDDY, This is killing me.
    Tanx for all your help though.... really appreciated.

Hi

sorry to open the Old Thread, I need to setup the same router for a friend tonite they have the 1mb Ripware "broadband in a box" can you please let me know if you manage to get it to work with Wifi, also is the configuration with Fix IP address or DHCP?

Any info that you might have will help.

Thanks

nava wrote: »
    Hi

sorry to open the Old Thread, I need to setup the same router for a friend tonite they have the 1mb Ripware "broadband in a box" can you please let me know if you manage to get it to work with Wifi, also is the configuration with Fix IP address or DHCP?

Any info that you might have will help.

Thanks

Nava.... i tried & tried & tried but just when i thought i had a stable wifi connection, it'd breakdown again.
    I simply switched to WiMax. I found the ripwave to be useless as a source of b/band, it's simply toooooooooooooooooooooo s l o w. My advice is get rid of it before it does your head in. It's more hassle than its worth & certainly not worth PAYING for.
    Sorry i couldn't be of any help.
    Best of luck what ever you decide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement