Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to include uk pension on irish income tax return

• 01-12-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I have a uk pension which i have to include on my 2008 income tax return. i know its late but i am in a refund position so i should be ok. my problem is for what period do i include the uk pension? will it be for the year ended 5/4/08? also do i use the exchange rate as at that date? i was going to ring revenue and ask them but i dont want to spend half the day waiting for someone to answer the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Believe it or not, it won't take half day to get someone from the Revenue to talk to you. dealing with Revenue myself on day to day basis, it'd take between 2-5 mins actually to get my calls answered, depending on which tax district and relevant section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

viztopia wrote: »
    I have a uk pension which i have to include on my 2008 income tax return. i know its late but i am in a refund position so i should be ok. my problem is for what period do i include the uk pension? will it be for the year ended 5/4/08? also do i use the exchange rate as at that date? i was going to ring revenue and ask them but i dont want to spend half the day waiting for someone to answer the phone.

Your 2008 return is from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 08 so you include your pension income for that period. You can enter it in sterling and Revenue will convert it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭TaxingTimes

The Revenue will not convert for you. You need to show the € equivalent on your Form 11.

You can use any of the following as long as you use this consistently:

Average exchange rate for the year
    Revenue average rate
    Actual rate for the date of receipt of payment

You may want to see which is more beneficial to you - but whichever you choose you must use each year.

Advertisement