Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good enough spec for Windows Vista Business SP1?

• 01-12-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We've got a few computers in the company I work in and I'm trying to see if they'd run Windows Vista Business SP1 ok or if they'd have to be upgraded. These computers would be used for Microsoft Office / Internet Explorer, nothing too fancy at all. Here are the specs :

Desktop : Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Processor, 2Gb Ram, Onboard Video Card, 40-60Gb Hard Disk

Laptop : Centrino Duo T2300 1.66Ghz Processor, 2Gb Ram, Onboard Video Card, 40-60Gb Hard Disk.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Vista will work on that spec (Albeit, a little sluggish), provided you disable Aero and all the nice visual stuff...XP would run fine, so why Vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply!

I reckoned I'd get the 'why not XP / Windows 7' questions...

Those PCs currently have Windows 2000 on them, which stops being supported next year. So, either we install XP on them, and then have to replace them again by 2012 as XP isn't supported after that, or we install Vista on them which will last a lot longer, and have a direct upgrade path to Windows 7.

Also, we currently have Windows 2000 and Windows Vista on our PCs, so installing XP would introduce a third OS. Ideally I'd like to go from Windows 2000 straight to XP, replacing the oldest PCs and upgrading any others if needed. As always, money is an issue.

Anyhow, I'm not too concerned about the XP / Vista / Windows 7 debate and don't want to get into it here. I just need to figure out if those Specs will handle Vista! :)

J.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is it a company policy that the PC's have to supported by MS? tbh i'm no fan of 2000, but if it 'aint broken and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I know what you mean Delly, but it's more neccesity than company policy that's driving this. I can count on one finger the amount of times I've contacted Microsoft about Windows 2000 desktop issues, so that's not a concern for me.

But come June / July next year there'll be no more patches for Windows 2000, and that's a bit more worrying. As is the fact that Windows 2000 only supports IE6 and more and more websites are looking for 7 or 8.

We're also hitting problems finding drivers for hardware ( like Cameras etc. ) and even just things like trying to rebuild a PC after it's had a problem, finding the Windows 2000 drivers for the PC online is getting tougher and tougher...

J.

Advertisement