Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackbird with white stripes?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I saw a bird I couldn't identify in Drumcondra this morning. It looked like a blackbird in size and shape, and general colouring, but had a clear white strip on either side of its head, and another white stripe across the top. The beak was dark, not yellow.

It was hopping in a very blackbird-like manner on a front lawn, and although I was within about four feet of it, didn't seem unduly worried by me.

Online bird identification tools have got me nowhere - any idea what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It could be a partial albino blackbird, which normally have areas on their body of head white and the rest of the bird is totally black or brown, depending on whether the bird is male or female. I would imagine that this is the most likely explanation.

Another bird that would look like a blackbird with white bits is the Ring Ouzel. They sometimes get seen in Ireland, mainly on the East coast, and are more widespread in Scotland and England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would go with you Kess73 a partially albino Blackbird would fit the bill - sorry ! - and a Ring Ouzel would seem a bit out of its normal territory if seen in Drumcondra. I believe they are to be found in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains but despite having spent much time there I never had the good fortune to see one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Excellent, thanks! I've looked at a few pictures of partially albino blackbirds now, and while the markings aren't the same, there's enough variety in them to make it pretty likely. I'll be back there next week, and I'll keep an eye out - see if I can get a picture of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a magpie

Advertisement