Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice regarding EMT trianing

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all , ive always been interested in becoming paramedic , and have read alot of info from the various threads on the boards.

Even still , im finding it hard to piece together the infomation.

I was wondering if someone could tell me or give advice on the various routes or ways to start training be it courses etc to start the path of into getting into the career.

Thanks ,

Robbie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 disneymum

Hi Robbie100,

Try <snip> in Dublin - they have a good course. I wanted to do it but unfortunately going from Cork to Dub every week wasn't feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its a long road but very worth it. Do you have any previous experience? Do you hold any First Aid qualifications?

It can cost quite abit so I would be sure you want to do it before diving in. My route has been:

First Aid
    Advanced First Aid
    Cardiac First Responder (Practitioner Level)
    Emergency Medical First Responder (In the New Year but its not a recognised PHECC Level any more)

EFR Level conversion will proabably come next (The PHECC Course that replaced EMFR)

Hopefully PHTLS or EMT after that!

I'd say start from the bottom and work up! And maybe join a volutary as they can sunsidise and give experience avenues you won't get purely on a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robbie100

Disneymum and ironclaw thanks alot for the replys ,

I dont have any previous experience at really , apart for the occupational first aid course that i completed when i was in the navy.

Ive been thinking about pursuing a career in this for a long time now but havent done a whole lot more about it.Seems its not something that you hear alot about , maybe im wrong.

As for the courses you complete ironclaw , would you be able to tell me a rough estimate maybe of costs , time etc? I contacted a company by email asking for course start dates etc , theres an EMF course starting in Jan , cost is 800 euros so i know what you mean about it being pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 disneymum

Hi Robbie100

As far as I can remember a course is approx €400 and you will be supplied with uniform and kitbelts etc. It is from Sept to June with one day a week in a hospital setting which can be local to you.

I agree with Ironclaw - courses are pricey. There is one in Newcastle West for 4 weeks and qualifies you as an EMT but after this you still need to get into the HSE! The charge last time I checked for this course is €2500 and I think you can do your licences with them too, including advanced driving.7

In the mean time while I try to organise going to Dublin I am training with the Irish Red Cross, doing duties which gives you first hand experience treating patients and driving with a critical patient on board and weekly training sessions to get me up as far as EMT. It's fun and you still learn all the necessary bits. We have a paramedic on our board and he is really helpful with regards to training or medical questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robbie100

Thanks for the info.

If someone was to go through the private route , ie.paid courses,how would they progress to get a position in the HSE?

Do they advertise etc? also do you know if the HSE take on people and specifically train them up the required level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emer tech

robbie100 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

If someone was to go through the private route , ie.paid courses,how would they progress to get a position in the HSE?

Do they advertise etc? also do you know if the HSE take on people and specifically train them up the required level?

Hi Robbie, the HSE advertise on public jobs.ie, (Trainee EMT (paramedic) they only had one campaign this year.
    when you apply to HSE you have to have a c1 and d1 licence, and produce them at the aptitude stage,
    if you pass this stage you will be called for interview, before you attend your interview you have to submit various eassy's about how you cope under pressure and team work, problem solving ,ect .
    At the interveiw they mark you on your essays and questions if you get enough marks they will put you on a panel and you may be called for training during the life of the panel if your referances and garda checks are clear.

It would be good at interview stage to have some courses done , and maybe a member of a voluntary org, but not a requirement. (unless changes occur in next recruitment drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hse will train you to paramedic but not privately, you'l have to wait untill recruitment comes around and its normally advertised in the press and publicjobs.ie

The last recruitment drive was earlier this year so realistically there might not be another untill 2011 if even.

I've done emt myself and went straight from ofa to it, You could apply for a job with a private ambulance company as an Emt and do patient transport but there's circa 400 emt's at present and more passing thru every month so I wouldnt be banking on it solely to get some work.

Re the course in Inchicore,iv'e got a mate on it and she says its good. She does 1 day a week placement in a&e and has said there's been good lectures from lads from Nasc and phecc ect. They did ofa and cfr as part of the course but efr is supposed to be being introduced after christmas and included in the fee, so might be something to look at doing in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

robbie100 wrote: »
    As for the courses you complete ironclaw , would you be able to tell me a rough estimate maybe of costs , time etc? I contacted a company by email asking for course start dates etc , theres an EMF course starting in Jan , cost is 800 euros so i know what you mean about it being pricey.

Most of mine were subsidised and I only had to pay a percentage of the cost. However, it did take a long time in lectures and personal study time. And I don't make money from them either, so it isn't a job more a hobby.

Unless your 100% certain its a career path you want to take, I'd say do an EFR course, see how it feels and go from there. Some people love it while others take the EFR and say "That's high enough for me. I'll stay at this skill set" However, the opposite is true and people reach for the sky (Like me :pac: )

The other problem you may face is job prospects, there arn't many and with HSE cut backs and the economic climate, there isn't a huge demand.

What stage are you at without being personal, i.e. Are you currently employed, out of college or is this a fresh start?

Personal two cents, join a voluntary, do an EFR course and take stock at that level. And if you want to go higher, the more experience you have the better. Someone with a skill set from A to Z plus experience will be much more sought after than someone with one course.

Advertisement