Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to home network on Windows 7

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, got a new laptop last week, running Windows 7. I usually use it on the university LAN, but I'm home for a few days this week and I've tried to connect to our home broadband by going to Wireless Connections, selecting the house network and inputting the same 60-odd character alphanumeric network security key I used to use with my XP laptop.
    When I do so, the dialog box tells me "Windows was unable to connect to Home network", and troubleshooting only prompts me to disconnect the modem and router and reconnect, which doesn't do any favours. The Vista and XP laptops on this network are still fully functional, why is my Windows 7 laptop having such difficulty connecting, is it to do with the switch to 64-bit technology?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

upmeath wrote: »
    Hi folks, got a new laptop last week, running Windows 7. I usually use it on the university LAN, but I'm home for a few days this week and I've tried to connect to our home broadband by going to Wireless Connections, selecting the house network and inputting the same 60-odd character alphanumeric network security key I used to use with my XP laptop.
    When I do so, the dialog box tells me "Windows was unable to connect to Home network", and troubleshooting only prompts me to disconnect the modem and router and reconnect, which doesn't do any favours. The Vista and XP laptops on this network are still fully functional, why is my Windows 7 laptop having such difficulty connecting, is it to do with the switch to 64-bit technology?

Did you have to use any special settings for your uni network? If so they may be interferring with you basic home settings. If you turn off the home security will it connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you have to use any special settings for your uni network?

We configure our web browsers to automatically detect proxy settings and it runs smoothly. With my previous laptop (XP) there were no problems changing from the UCD LAN to the home broadband network at the weekends, it automatically connected as soon as I powered on, no effort involved.
    dub45 wrote:
    If you turn off the home security will it connect?

Not sure how that's done, we had a family friend set up our wireless so I'm not sure how security is switched off. I'd be reluctant to switch it off as we live in a town centre location and there'd be plenty of neighbours looking to score some free wireless. If I switched it off temporarily and the laptop connected what would that tell me?

Advertisement