Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over flow pipe leaking ?

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

I've just noticed that my overflow pipe is leaking water. I live in an apartment and checked the water storage box in the attic lastnight. I think that the ball cock thing might be faulty???

Any suggestions as to if this might be the problem and if so where can I buy a new one and is it easy to fit myself???

Thanking ye in advance,

Shazbot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can buy them in a plumbers providers/Builders providers. Its not a bigh thing to change if your very confident at doing it. If it were me and liviing in an apartment I would get a plumber as your insurence might have issues if you damage downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

It might be just sticking in position, unless its gushing out constantly, just flush the loo and see if it rights itself.

My new plastic ballcock is doing this but it's settled down lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Just to add to this, could be something as simple as dirt in the ballcock. Have a look, lift the arm as high as it'll go and if it doesnt close the valve its either busted or has a bit of dirt inside. (so either a cleaning or a €5 replacement job depending on which it is)
    If the valve actually DOES close when you lift the valve then its just a case of your tank filling too high, which can easily be fixed by gently bending the ball arm down so that it closes the valve sooner

Advertisement