Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating a SatNav When I Have The 3.5 Gig File

Options
  • 01-12-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

I have the garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.exe file (3.45 gigs) from an earlier update of my Nuvi. I want to update a friend's 660 as a christmas present, without going through the long download procedure again.

A new Garmin Lifetime update license is in the post from Amazon.

This is what I'm going to do (I need help at the last step) ....
    > I'll copy the above file to their PC.
    > I'll setup a new MyGarmin account for them on their PC.
    > I'll Register their 660 on the MyGarmin account
    > I'll update the 660 software
    > ???

How do I update the 660 mapping using the garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.exe File ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

That all sounds good.
    Just make sure you have Mapsource installed on their computer first.
    Then run the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

mrmac wrote: »
    That all sounds good.
    Just make sure you have Mapsource installed on their computer first.
    Then run the update.

Mapsource is not necessary

I'm hoping for a reply from someone who knows what they are talking about.

eirman wrote: »
    Mapsource is not necessary

I'm hoping for a reply from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Play nice!

I suggested mapsource, as the 660 only has 700mb of internal memory, so you may wish to select what you want to install, or use an SD card.

Register the lifetime map updates on the myGarmin account, hook up the 660 and see that it's recognised in myGarmin.

If you haven't done so before, then extract the download, go to where you've extracted the download and run the Setup.exe file. This will connect to the Garmin servers, to verify it's ok to install. The Setup.exe will build the map file in the format gmapprom.img, you can write this to a big enough SD card, once you get the cards serial number.

I've done it this way for a nuvi 600, written to an SD card, without any problem.

mrmac wrote: »
    Play nice!

Apologies for my intemperate reply. I don't have mapsource - I think I had it when I purchased the 2008 update disk, but I have thrown that disk away (Pity).

I won't be installing on to an SD card so I may have to choose to load UK/IRL only, but I can live with that.

When have set up the new MyGarmin account, registered the 660 and updated the software, what do I do next?

Do I run the already downloaded "garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.exe"
    or
    Do I register the Lifetime product on my garmin and then run "garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.exe"

You can download Mapsource directly from Garmin, they don't include it anymore on disk :(

Unfortunitely, Mapsouce won't install unless you have a Garmin product already on your PC, so the best way to work around that, is to install Garmin Training Centre first.

Then you can install Garmin Mapsource, and it will accept the Training Centre product.

All legit! :D

That will allow you to select the UK & IRE bit of the map, or as much as you can get onto the 660.

You'll have to have the Lifetime bit already registered on the 660, and see the update link on myMaps, as the update file connects to the Garmin servers to check if it's valid.

Wherever you have the downloaded 2010.20 file, extract it using Winzip or similar, you'll see the Setup.exe file. You'll need to have the PC connected to the net. Click on Setup.exe, and after the Garmin server check, the software will build the image file. This file will be bigger than the 660s 700mb memory. Copy & paste directly to an SD Card in the 660, or remove countries in Mapsource.

If you decide to go the SD card route, the first time you start the unit, you may get a notice screen saying "new map found", and it will ask you if you want to replace the original map, click "No" and "don't ask me again", as it may make a mess of things as it can't write the full file to the unit (I made this stupid mistake myself :o ), but it may be different on the 660.

HTH.

• Advertisement

Well MRMAC no matter what I did I could not use the file I had already downloaded. When I ran the file it kept asking for a product number whatever that is.

I had to go through the download procedure again. During the install I was told that there wasn't enough space on the 660 and to choose a geographical area, so naturally I chose uk/irl and the update proceeded normally.

Thanks for the mapsourse info - very useful

One unusual thing - to activate / register the lifetime product I had to choose "Activate Gift" or something like that - not very intuitive.

eirman wrote: »
    Well MRMAC no matter what I did I could not use the file I had already downloaded. When I ran the file it kept asking for a product number whatever that is.

Very odd. I have a 765T that I recently got, but I don't plan on doing an update until the end of January, as it's a freebie. I'll try to do the update using the downloaded file I have, and see if I've any issues.
    Thanks for the mapsourse info - very useful

:)
    One unusual thing - to activate / register the lifetime product I had to choose "Activate Gift" or something like that - not very intuitive.

Have you ever tried contacting their customer support? They're not very intuitive either! :D

I bought a new Nuvi for a customer who does not have broadband. I had no problems updating it with the already downloaded file - 3 hours downloading saved!

So my problem was with the Lifetime product only.

Thanks for updating me with that info. - I was beginning to think I'd lost it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Emoyeni

Hi Guys,

Just came across this thread and am salivating at the thought of maybe being able to update the maps on my older system.:confused:

I own a Garmin Nuvi 770i purchased 2 years ago. Recently purchased a 765T for my better half so will be entitled to update the maps within 60 days...can i update my older system with this file too?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You won't be able to update the 770, unless you purchase the update.
    Did the 770 come with Europe & USA maps?
    The current European maps require over 3gb of space, and the 770 comes with 4gb, so you'll have to ditch the USA maps. However, you could choose to just update the UK & Ireland map, and keep the USA maps.

Lifetime updates for Europe is about £85stg on Amazon UK. This is unit specific, and is only for the European maps. You'd need to buy the USA lifetime update seperately, which is also about £85.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Emoyeni

thanks for the reply...wasn't sure if the update was unit specific - i should have guessed..nothing for nothing:(

yes US maps came with the 770 but i also have a 8gb cd card so i should be ok.. if i decide to update the maps on the 770

thanks again...

Advertisement