Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Government

Options
  • 01-12-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

So,
    What are people thoughts on the matter of governmental transparency? I believe a substantial shift has occurred in the nature of the relationship between citizen and state, owed in no small part to modern technology. With lag-less, near instant communication of concepts and information a reality, governments the world over are now spending vast amounts of money to mine the data trails we leave behind us.

Should this not be an even field? I was watching a documentary about Walt Disney the last day, turns out uncle Walt was a fink to the FBI. The funny part is, 80% of his communications with the agency are still confidential. Why is that? What justifications are there left for state secrets?

H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I just made a thread about this in the main politics forum. I propose that every cabinet and government meeting be held in public with full public access to the minutes, so that no decision can ever be made behind closed doors. The few exceptions as someone over there pointed out would be with regard to security policy, criminal proceedings, etc.

But take the budget for example. The cabinet discussions on it should be made public now instead of waiting until budget day, so they can't make secret decisions to spring on people without any warning or chance to object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I just made a thread about this in the main politics forum. I propose that every cabinet and government meeting be held in public with full public access to the minutes, so that no decision can ever be made behind closed doors. The few exceptions as someone over there pointed out would be with regard to security policy, criminal proceedings, etc.

But take the budget for example. The cabinet discussions on it should be made public now instead of waiting until budget day, so they can't make secret decisions to spring on people without any warning or chance to object.
    I dont think that would be practical, as government ministers would be afraid of even discussing options that could be deemed unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Tasks forces and such would be completely known giving little true information,T'wouldnt be good.

After a certain number of years then yeah,Not too much not not too little either.Obviousuly depending on what it is as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

I think more transparency is a good idea. But there's a need for confidentiality, too.

One attempt to strike the balance is the Freedom of Information Act. Civil Servants are driven demented responding to FOI requests, but I haven't yet come across a civil servant who thinks it's a bad idea. It's a duty which they perform as dutifully as Parlimantary Questions.

FOI has really opened up government to public scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

Yeah recording the minutes of cabinet meetings makes sense to me. Open up the process to scrutiny and extend democracy into the day to day running of government.It'd make their job easier anyway because the public would better understand some tough decisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement