Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT claiming I made calls I know I didn't

Options
  • 01-12-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

I'm at my wit's end with this so I really hope someone can help.

BT are claiming that I made a series of 10 phone calls from my landline that I know with 100% certainty were not made from the line.

Skip this next bit if you like and jump down to my questions at the bottom:

I know I did not make these calls for several reasons:

1. There was no phone unit in the property at the time (!!). It was my dad's place and he doesn't have a phone unit (he just uses his mobile). And I didn't have a phone with me since I was moving rental property and left the landlord's phone in my old apartment (naturally).
    2. I was the only one in the house or with access to it. My dad was on holiday which is why I was staying there in between house moves. As far as I know not one other person entered that property in the month I was there. Certainly, I was the only keyholder.
    3. One of the two phone phone numbers I allegedly called was to an organisation - the Construction Industry Federation - that I have never called/contacted in my life and would never, ever have any reason to call. I have no connection with builders or the media or anyone else who could conceivably have a reason to contact this organisation. Moreover, I am hardly going to forget making several bloody calls to such an esoteric entity! There are a total of 7 calls to this number.
    4. Two of those alleged 7 calls were made to the CiF's fax line, despite the fact that I don't own a fax. So BT are saying I called the fax line TWICE on consecutive days despite not owning a fax and despite knowing that I was calling a fax machine the second time (since presumably I would have been aware it was a fax line after getting through the first time - but apparently I called that number again the next day anyway, making me either dense or psychotic).
    5. The other number I am alleged to have called was a mobile number (one I don't recognise and is not on my mobile contact's list). And get this: on one day there were 3 calls made to this mobile phone within 1 minute and 20 seconds...and on each occasion the call apparently got connected because there is a charge associated with each. Then - incredibly - there is a 4th call 20 seconds after the final mobile call was "answered" (and guess what - that 4th call was to the CiF!!). So that is a grand total of 4 calls in 1 minute and 50 seconds I am supposed to have made, each of which got connected because each has an associated charge. Never in my life have I called 4 numbers like this within 2 minutes (has anyone?). And apart from this one burst 3 of calls within 1 minute and 20 seconds, there is not one other call to this mobile recorded as having been made from my line. Not one.
    6. The 10 calls above - 7 to the Cif and 3 to the mobile within a 1'20" period - are the ONLY calls BT recorded being made on the line. There is not one single other call - I am not going through a long phone bill picking out numbers to question. I am disputing the entirety of the bill. ALL of it is wrong. Absence of evidence is germane.
    7. Finally, I have not used a landline in my home for several years - I use my mobile phone for phone calls and my landline for broadband (which is why I was getting the line set up in the first place). The pattern of calls BT are suggesting therefore is not my phone behaviour at all. In my previous 3 years with BT I made a total of TWO landline calls in all that time (twice in emergencies when I didn't want to use my mobile). Despite that, they are now claiming I made these 10 calls within a 17 day period. From 2 calls in 3 years to 10 in 17 days. Yah, right.

My God, I am so aggitated by this. I can see from the above pattern that there is something seriously wrong here but BT won't engage with the illogicality of all this. It just doesn't make any sense as a narrative. But they aren't even listening to that narrative.

So my question is this: does anyone have experience of calls appearing on a BT line that were never made?

It also occurred to me that it was possible that Eircom are involved in this somehow. Do any of you tech heads know whether it's possible Eircom got their wiring wrong or something before handing the line over to BT? That somehow my line was mixed up with another user's line?

Thanks. It's got to the point now where I am doubting my own sanity, despite knowing full well that it is literally impossible for me to have made these calls. Many thanks.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

5. The other number I am alleged to have called was a mobile number (one I don't recognise and is not on my mobile contact's list). And get this: on one day there were 3 calls made to this mobile phone within 1 minute and 20 seconds...and on each occasion the call apparently got connected because there is a charge associated with each. Then - incredibly - there is a 4th call 20 seconds after the final mobile call was "answered" (and guess what - that 4th call was to the CiF!!). So that is a grand total of 4 calls in 1 minute and 50 seconds I am supposed to have made, each of which got connected because each has an associated charge. Never in my life have I called 4 numbers like this within 2 minutes (has anyone?). And apart from this one burst 3 of calls within 1 minute and 20 seconds, there is not one other call to this mobile recorded as having been made from my line. Not one.

That is the key point , you could not have made those calls because they overlap . Were you billed by BT or Vodafone ?

Have you made a formal complaint , is is unresolved after 10 days ??

Go to Comreg .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it a new property? I'd be looking at the builder.

It might also be possible that the number is linked to the wrong line. If you phone your number form your mobile, does the phone ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

this happened us with Perlico some years ago-we were being charged for calls to a psychic hotline, i think it was 6 calls and each were lengthy calls.

However when we looked at dates and times of the calls, every keyholder of our house was in my brother's place at his 30th bday party!

We got nowhere with perlico, who didn't want to acknowledge that their system could be wrong. It went on for months,in the end my mam had to pay out of fear of being blacklisted:mad:

Advertisement