Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December Budget 09 details

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Qs wrote: »
    ... The pension should be means tested though. I know plenty of very wealthy people who don't need it and wouldn't complain if they didn't have it.

The Contributory OAP is something that people have effectively purchased (hence the use of "contributory" in its description). To introduce a means test now would break an agreement that has been in force for many years.

The value of the pension greatly exceeds what people have contributed to pay for it.

It's not a simple issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Any word on what will happen senior civil servants pensions in the budget? Seems to be plenty of high ranking guards etc. retiring before budget day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

finisklin wrote: »
    Any word on what will happen senior civil servants pensions in the budget? Seems to be plenty of high ranking guards etc. retiring before budget day.

I don't think there is any clear word. A number of people fear that the lump sum might be taxed, and are getting out before the budget just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In a report I read it mensions the old reliable of Cigarettes and Alcohol will likely go up again! If the Alcohol goes up again, Ill do what I did 3 months ago much more frequently! go up the north and buy a few crates for me and my mates! see how much youll get out of me then biffo!

Advertisement