Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Remakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

The original was very basic but very heartfelt, and Aranofsky is clearly a romantic thanks to The Fountain, but also likes action, so whatever he'll do with it (if he's still onboard), I'm gonna go see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

DazMarz wrote: »
    The Departed (a remake of the Hong Kong cop thriller Infernal Affairs) was top drawer stuff.
    Personally I thought Infernal Affairs was much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

pwd wrote: »
    Personally I thought Internal Affairs was much better

It's Infernal Affairs:)or did you mean the Richard Gere film from yonks ago?

If you meant the Hong Kong movie, I preferred The Departed, it moved at a better pace I thought, and damn the cast were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Holy sh1t i just discovered The Thing was a remake from looking at your post!:eek:
    I consider it to be one of the best horror movies ever made but I always thought the title was terrible.

It cheapens what i think is a cracker of a film, obviously they had to call it that to honour the original.
    Havent seen the original but I doubt its in the same league as the 1982 version.

It's more of an adaptation of the same source material as the previous film than a straight out remake - it's much more faithfull to the novella as well. Which was called "Who Goes There?". Not a bad title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The original was very basic but very heartfelt, and Aranofsky is clearly a romantic thanks to The Fountain, but also likes action, so whatever he'll do with it (if he's still onboard), I'm gonna go see it.

Robocop is truly innovative. Gore, scfi, social commentary, satire & action. Its a simple enough plot but theres an awful lot going on if you look beyond the ultra-violent 80's facade.
    Its a tall order for anyone to attempt a remake. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If you meant the Hong Kong movie, I preferred The Departed, it moved at a better pace I thought, and damn the cast were brilliant.

I thought the departed was ok, I didnt think it should have been the film that Scorsese got his oscar for (the aviator was a much better films as were obviously many more of his films)

But the interesting thing about infernal affairs/the departed is how blunt they are on the two different styles of cinema and culture in Hong Kong and the US, the departed is obsessed of linking all the problems and issues in the film back to sex while infernal affairs is a much more sterile film.

Both fine films but I would probably choose infernal affairs over the departed mostly because the sterile tone to the many of the scenes suits the film's plot alot better personnally.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It's more of an adaptation of the same source material as the previous film than a straight out remake - it's much more faithfull to the novella as well. Which was called "Who Goes There?". Not a bad title.

'The Thing' sounds very 1950's, just doesnt do the 1982 movie any favours.

This is the the truth; Myself & my mate used to rent the worst sounding movies from the local video shop years ago. We each took turns to choose the absolute crappiest sounding film then watch it for the laugh.
    We picked The Thing one day & what can I say? I was gob-smacked at how brilliant it was. Creepy, action packed, superb special effects.
    Great show, pity about the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

pwd wrote: »
    Personally I thought Infernal Affairs was much better

I thought both were excellent, but I preferred The Departed, just because so much of it was perfect and unique, but especially the Boston (or should that be ''Bawstan'') setting. I thought that was interesting, as it's not often you'd see a gangster film set here, and when I heard it was Martin Scorsese directing, I automatically assumed it was going to be in New York. I loved the Boston setting and the Irish gang connections that permeated the whole film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yeah infernal affairs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

King Kong remake was ****e...

But I will admit to actually liking The Planet of the Apes remake. And I am a big fan of the series of original movies...go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Skinfull wrote: »

But I will admit to actually liking The Planet of the Apes remake. And I am a big fan of the series of original movies...go figure!

apart from jack black who was tottally miscast , i loved king kong 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

irish_bob wrote: »
    apart from jack black who was tottally miscast , i loved king kong 2005

Which part - the 60+ minutes of "build up", the ridiculously bad cgi stampede, or that pointless scene with the big insects (to name just a few). Total Yawnfest.

or that pointless scene with the big insects (to name just a few)

they cut that from the original film :D, thats what they get for taking an hour and half long film and doubling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kastiel

Remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was awful.

Skinfull wrote: »

Quite liked it myself. Admittedly its better in the cinema but its still a good old monster movie. Bit long mind you. Jackson could have binned a good half hour off the final cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kastiel wrote: »
    Remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was awful.

It was truely dire!....the first 20 mins or so were pretty good, but it fell apart! :mad:
    Horrid movie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem with remakes is the way you suddenly feel old when you can rememebr the original being in the cinema. I had this when a friend's 17-year-old son didn't know The Karate Kid was a remake. Then there's Clash of the Titans. Good God, I remember dragging my poor father to see that at long-since-past cinema in Middle Abbey Street.

It remains to see how good they are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I had this when a friend's 17-year-old son didn't know The Karate Kid was a remake.

wait what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

2004 dawn of the dead.

Its so good i get chills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Which part - the 60+ minutes of "build up", the ridiculously bad cgi stampede, or that pointless scene with the big insects (to name just a few). Total Yawnfest.

the stampeded was pretty silly , the pointless part was the completley non relevant story involving the cabin boy and the black sailor

• Advertisement
Advertisement