Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerd Rage

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

This was inspired by Thaedydal's Video Games and the Female Audience thread and comments made there.

Do you suffer from it? I rarely do, it takes quite a lot for a game to make me really angry. I've never thrown a pad or broken anything, I don't why really. Two examples of games really getting to me in the past (and my reactions) are:

1) Pokémon Stadium: Fighting in one of the high level tournaments to get a Surfing Pikachu, I remember every one of my team getting knocked out by extremely inaccurate one-hit KO moves consecutively. The game artifically upped the difficulty in frustrating and unfair ways! I just shouted with rage, then turned off the N64.

2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Fighting Solidus on Extreme. When you lost, you heard his taunting laugh over the Game Over screen. After losing many, many times, I laughed back at him. That shut him up. I kept playing until I beat him. (People that know me have heard that story a few times, I'm sorry!)

Any angry moments stand out for ye?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hadnt had any in 10 years or more untill 2 months ago and the xbox360 pad got it for being so woefully bad for street fighter 4. isnt broken, just has a bit that wobbles now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I've lost it tons of times from playing games, many broken controllers and dents in the wall.

Lately it's everytime I play Fifa 10 online, I go mental if I lose haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Broke a headset once out of frustration a while back but can't think of any other instance where I raged so much that I tried to smash something.

That's not to say I haven't almost done it but I generally end up remembering that these things are expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

There the other day when I lost my level 50 Soldier in Borderlands to a corrupt save file, there was a hell of a lot of yelling.

Broke a set of Plantronics DSP 500 headphones.

Broke 2 other sets of headphones.

And broke a finger.

All during / after various matches.

I'm not a good loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I keep a wary eye out for games that turn people into thundering arseholes. I nearly got sucked into DoTA/HoN, but after seeing what happens to people who play it for any length of time I keep away. I've cursed the firstborn of my enemies in COD 4 like anyone who's played it, but violence? Pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm usually just a bit vocal when a game annoys me but have never broken anything over a game with one exception. I bit the top off the stylus when I failed for the 100th time on Ready! Steady! Go! on the hardest level in Ouendan. Watching that stupid unskippable intro was doing my nut it.

There's only one other time when I turned into a stark raving mad man because of a game. There's a bit in Ninja Gaiden where you go into these catacombs filled with zombies. On the way back up there's a large open part with a set of platforms spiralling up to the top. There's 3 skeleton archers on these platforms. Anyway I was out of arrows so couldn't shoot them so had to get close to take them out. However if you took one hit from their arrows you fell off the platforms. To make matters worse even if you killed one of the archers when you fell off they respawned. Anyway this one stupid section took me over an hour to do and I was hoarse from screaming at the screen. Thank god nobody was home.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Rage punched a 19inch tft playing quake before and shattered it into ikle little pieces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Sarky wrote: »
    I keep a wary eye out for games that turn people into thundering arseholes. I nearly got sucked into DoTA/HoN, but after seeing what happens to people who play it for any length of time I keep away. I've cursed the firstborn of my enemies in COD 4 like anyone who's played it, but violence? Pfft.

dota/hon is the worst. you need a neck made of 100% brass not to feel the rage in those games. the ppl online make counterstrike slagging/flaming look like playground insults to HoNs scottish brothel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have never broken anything, but a few moments in Demon's Souls have had me close to angry, painful tears.

My most frustrating level would also be Ready! Steady! Go! in Ouendan, which I'm fine until the triple spin section. This is normal mode, and I've tried it many many times, and the hard mode of the game is locked for me because of that stupid, stupid section. Were I the type of gamer who shouted obscenities when failing (which, thankfully, I am not) I would say I would have shouted the word **** at some point playing it. That's right, ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I tend not to be too bad playing against people...especially in person - can make banter and mock the fact myself that I am terrible. Against the AI though it's a different story!

Championship Manager in my teens - did thump the screen; nothing too hard but enough for both me and the PC to learn not to play this game again.

FIFA causes awful frustration with AI glitching goals or my players not doing what they are supposed to (even if it's my fault....it's the AI's fault).

But I ask you...what's the difference between "nerd rage" and O'Driscoll berating Stringer for an intercept pass (2.50 - not great quality and doesn't show as much as when I saw it on TV) or Rooney any weekend that things don't go right for United? Apparently it's passion in sport but something that is pegged instantly as negative in games.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sport is allowed because it's not corrupting our childrens' minds and teaching them how to stamp on someone's head with spiky boots and run really fast from the police after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm usually just a bit vocal when a game annoys me but have never broken anything over a game with one exception. I bit the top off the stylus when I failed for the 100th time on Ready! Steady! Go! on the hardest level in Ouendan. Watching that stupid unskippable intro was doing my nut it.

I don't think anybody knows true frustration if they haven't sat through that intro for the 20th ****ing time in a row!:mad:
    Nearly snapped the ******* DS in two last time I tried it!

Grrr!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

COD4 Promod. Playing the matches. I rage a lot, especially when I do idiotic moves that I know I shouldnt have. I tend to smash the table a bit and take my headphones off in a fit of rage.

That and Trackmania, I perfect a lap and about to set the fastest time before I drop it on the last corner. Soooo many times its made me curse.

Everyone thinks im a nutcase :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

tman wrote: »
    I don't think anybody knows true frustration if they haven't sat through that intro for the 20th ****ing time in a row!:mad:
    Nearly snapped the ******* DS in two last time I tried it!

Grrr!

For anyone not familar. Its basically a 30 second intro that gets a bit annoying after a bit, especially if you watched Full Metal Alchemist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I hate Paladins in world of warcraft, hate them. Even when they were introduced to Horde side, I still hated them. That extends to the person playing the character. In my mind I imagine all of them in real life are kiddy fiddlers.

It's only a game, only a game, only a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Street Fighter brings out my 'nerd' rage if you will. When I used to play 5v5 football matches with my mates nearly 10 years ago now, during intense matches, if I nearly scored but missed the shot... the one shot that could have turned the match around, I'd certainly roar a string of nasty words.

Wasn't seen as odd though. Yet if the same thing happens during an intense match in SF its considered odd. :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ugh I forgot the PES series. The damn game is fixed. I could thrash someone 5-0 and then suddenly the next match i lose 2-1 in extra time or something, even though I played just as good in the last match! Makes me shout abusive language at the other player, and curse at Konami for match fixing.

I see where FIFA get their standards now, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I've seriously got my nerd rage rocking when im playing the new Call of Duty. Stupid flimsy Xbox controllers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

definitely but was only when i was playing counter-strike or quake online.

i think that little bit of rage actually helps you preform better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For anyone not familar. Its basically a 30 second intro that gets a bit annoying after a bit, especially if you watched Full Metal Alchemist.

The worst thing is on the hardest mode on the opening section of the song if you don't hit one of the symbols perfectly you have basically screwed yourself and this can happen in the first second of the song meaning you have to sit through it again.

Just looking at that video wondering how the **** I managed to beat it :) The satisfaction was immense though when I did manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

That is the type of game that pisses me off so MUCH! I would give up on that straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    That is the type of game that pisses me off so MUCH! I would give up on that straight away!

i cant see how that can be in any way fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grimebox wrote: »

Ouendan is ridiculously fun (except for maybe that level, which is some sort of hell spawn). I still don't think any developer has utilised the DS as effectively, the basic gameplay is simple but challenging, plus the J-Pop soundtrack and crazy weird stories (I'm glad I don't know Japanese, as I think knowing what is going on would detract slightly) are brilliant. Fun on a bun!

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Grimebox wrote: »

You'd be surprised. It's for me far and away the best game on the DS. Also what you are looking at is the last level on the very hardest difficulty level. The game eases you in and starts off very easy and the last difficulty is onlt for people who really want to push themselves. Believe me you'll be so in love with the game at that point you'll play it. Also you won't believe how good your reactions get from playing this game. I'm no superhuman gamer but I managed to finish it on that level. And anyway it's much more fun on the harder difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ugh I forgot the PES series. The damn game is fixed.

Just to be clear when I said football I meant in RL in my example (just in case you thought I meant a game)

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Just to be clear when I said football I meant in RL in my example (just in case you thought I meant a game)

yeah i know but it reminded me of my sleepless nights and PES addiction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only time I ever lost it was in an online match of Tekken 5.
    It was a tiny bit laggy, and this Ling Xiaoyu player kept grabbing me out of attacks.

I called bullsh*t pretty damn loudly, and threw my flimsy Sixaxis onto my bed. Except I missed the mattress, and it hit the frame.
    I ended up breaking the L2 trigger's plastic, perma-destroying the connections for the LEDs, and having the pad almost snap in two.

These days, I play on heavy-duty arcade sticks.

Ah jesus another one you've reminded me of.

Soul Calibur II, im pretty good at it. But whatever way way my mate did it, he always seemed to beat me at it. I look over and he's just mashing the GC controller. I ragequitted and argued with him so many times...

Jesus I'm a brute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Hmm, I suppose the worst nerd rage of mine is when I was signing up for xbox live for the first time, and when making the profile I used the same name as my old profile. I cant seem to get the free month trial so I call up cust care and tell them about it. They guide me through the process and one of the steps is deleting the profile I made for xbox live. The women at the other end of the line then asks me to restart the xbox and sign in. As Im doing this I notice that I have only one profile comming up, and it looks pretty blank.
    It quickly dawned on me that I had deleted my profile with 3 months of games saves on it and had no way to recover it. I had a quick flash of nerd rage, full of cursing and punching doors, which lasted about 30 seconds. I calmed down with a sigh and an "Urgh, **** . . . ."
    I felt sorry for the women who was helping me, apologised and didnt touch my xbox for a month or two.

Other than that, its hard for me to get angry to the point of shouting. I know my skill level, so if I have a bad streak I can either go "**** off . . ." and take a few minutes break or "RAGH ! ****. . . OFF !" and climb back up to the top in a whirl of determined fury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Final Fantasy X - Fight against Yunalesca. Had her down to about 1% health on my third attempt, with one character dead. Tidus attacks, misses, she confuses Auron, he kills Tidus, then she kills him. Result? One smashed joypad.

Demon's Souls - Got killed with about 30k worth of souls, after i blocked some enemy and i fell off the cliff i was standing near. Result? One knocked over Rock Band drumkit, which i had to take apart to remove the broken bits moving around inside.

Eve Online - Bought a shiny new Thorax (cool looking cruiser) back when i started. Had saved up for ages to afford it, and brought it on my first level 2 mission. I had long range weapons fitted, and everything was going well. Got into the last area, where 1 small drone proceeded to warp scramble me, and attack me at 500m, well inside my tracking range. So there i was, unable to warp out, while i slowly watched my brand new cruiser get destroyed over the space of about 10 minutes. Result? Smashed my keyboard, and logged out.

**** you games :P

Advertisement