Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerd Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kiith wrote: »
    Demon's Souls - Got killed with about 30k worth of souls, after i blocked some enemy and i fell off the cliff i was standing near. Result? One knocked over Rock Band drumkit, which i had to take apart to remove the broken bits moving around inside.

The worst part is trying to make your way back to collect your Souls from your dead body and dying again on route... I didn't mind dying and dropping my souls, but it was then dying again and having all your souls vanish. It stopped being an issue though once I found a good soul farming spot.

By far though the most irritating part of that game was people forcing their way into my game when I was alive and griefing me for the whole level.

This level of griefing reached it's climax in Area 3-3... ended up having to unplug my network cable to play the level without anyone connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

DMC4 bloody palace, getting to dante on level 101.
    Two and a half hours of obscene difficulty to watch him pop pandoras box and kill me instantly.
    Quiet rage followed by a tirade of abuse directed at an inanimate game character when i did finally beat him hours later.

COD4, but i assume everyones had a screaming match with the 8 year old americans who play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Back in the day playing Ultima Online i used to get extremely frustrated when you would lag during Mid Fight with a tough creature. I knew everytime it happed i was gonna be fcuked so i would start shouting profanties at the screen whenever 'Pathfinding!' appeared above the characters head

Sure enough you would usually be dead, having to run ALL the way back to a local healer, running all the way back to get your gear and trying to avoid the monster that killed you in the first place.

Great game though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Mr. K wrote: »
    1) Pokémon Stadium: Fighting in one of the high level tournaments to get a Surfing Pikachu, I remember every one of my team getting knocked out by extremely inaccurate one-hit KO moves consecutively. The game artifically upped the difficulty in frustrating and unfair ways! I just shouted with rage, then turned off the N64.

Oh, tell me about it. I've never broken anything but I think the angriest I've ever gotten at a game was at Pokemon Stadium 2. I was in the final battle of the highest level cup, 0 continues left after a string of tense battles. My opponent and I each had one Pokemon left and my Pokemon had a clear type advantage over the opponent.

On the first round they confuse me and my Pokemon hurts itself in it's confusion. Fine, I think, I'll get you next round. But no. My Pokemon continues to hurt itself in confusion every single round after that while its health gets lower and lower and I get angrier and angrier until my Pokemon faints and I explode. My brother quietly retreated out of the room while I screamed at the tv and banged my fists against the couch. Not my finest moment..

I think (hope) I've calmed down a bit these days but things which can still really get to me include:
    • a lack of an instant "retry" option and the unskippable cutscenes that can go with that
    • being forced to repeat stuff you've already done for the chance to fail the same hard bit over and over
    • obviously cheating or unfair AI
    • random status changes/accuracy crap
    • sudden difficulty spikes
    • being battered to death by bosses when you can't even figure out how to harm them
    • failing when it's unclear what you're meant to do
    • failing due to awkward/badly designed controls
    • getting into random battles when trying to solve a puzzle or find something
    • losing hard-earned experience/hours of progress when you get killed, especially if you’ve been waiting ages for a chance to save

Geez, that list was longer than I expected, maybe I haven't calmed down that much…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The worst part is trying to make your way back to collect your Souls from your dead body and dying again on route... I didn't mind dying and dropping my souls, but it was then dying again and having all your souls vanish. It stopped being an issue though once I found a good soul farming spot.

An even worse part, is going back to the nexus, forgetting that you died in body form, setting the Wt towards black, going back to the world, tearing through back through 4-2 via 4-3 and running head first totally unexpected into the dual katana black phantom.

For me it was god of war and the spiked floor with the box puzzle. Drove me absoltely nuts, make mince meat of a joypad.

My worst was championship manager 99-00, 3 up on the first leg of chumps league semi final, 1 up in the home leg and somehow united contrive to score 4 goals in the last 10 minutes. i ruined a keyboard and mouse with that one.

PES and ISS throughout the years have resulted in many dented items in my room and broken pads.

Special mention goes out to the apprentice from the latest Soul Calibur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Trying to beat Halo 3 on legendary on its own made me rage quite alot ie. shouting and punching things. Didn't help when my 360 fell over, scratching a perfect circle into the disk rendering the campaign completely useless (I was on the 2nd last level). Weird thing is everything other than the campaign works perfectly. wtf.

Nowadays I usually have my mic off playing CoD MW 2, the amount of times I just instinctively shout things like "Thats bullsh*t!" "D*ckhead!" and just plain out stfu to those annoying little whiny american kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ohhhhh I nerd rage something fierce

I even nerd raged against the OP recently, fcuking n00b tubes grumble grumble grumble :D

Lag in FPS games is like flicking a switch in my head, nothing more annoying than thinking you got the jump on a guy and then falling over dead

Or playing on a hopeless team in Team Deathmatch. I get abusive towards them then though

Funnily enough it doesn't really happen against AI as I just mark it down to a weakness in the design of the game and label the game as "Sh1t"

Let me see
    I've smashed a PS One
    Beat my brother over the head a PS controller
    Had fist fights with my brother
    Punched stuff: Couches, beds, doors, walls, PC Monitors, keyboards
    Dented my coffee table
    Try and smash the controller with bare hands
    Go on serious rage rants
    Rage quit

I hate losing and can end up avoiding competitive situations as a result

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I rarely nerd rage myself . . . although I did break my computer desk once!:eek:

Basically, I gave the keyboard an unmerciful slam with my fist after Empire Total War kept crashing during a battle . . . the keyboard was on an extended platform from the desk, and when I hit it the platform broke off.:mad:

Then I was even more pissed off with ETW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Then I was even more pissed off with ETW.
    I didnt think people could possibly get any more pissed off at ETW :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Random battles in FF7 kinda drive me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

That guy needs a slap I mean ffs....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Old school counterstrike taught me to swear like a docker, my mother thought i was possessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't rage that much, usually its when I get lumped with a useless team in COD:MW2 or in league matches when my teammates do stupid things.

When playing public i try be calm and respectful

Which brings me back to the topic

Nerd Rage - I've never heard or seen the term used so much in a game as Left4Dead1/2 ...that and FAIL/PHAIL/FAIIILLLLL/FA1L etc etc

Even some of the Irish lads, some of which I'm sure/know are on boards, are some of the biggest twats I've ever encountered online......and thats saying something. They go on worse than american 12yr olds who play Halo etc. And these aren't kids, these ppl are men, adults, yet they cry like the whining german kid, and then ruin the game for everyone.

I had my first and most enjoyable game of L4D2 last night alongside Retro and Atlas, where there wasn't 1 instance of FAIL/RAGE over all 5 rounds. :)
    We were all pretty bad as humans, but I enjoyed it, had there been 1 of the above mentioned clowns on, the whole game would have been ruined,,,with me typing STFU to them in respone to FAIL BOOMER, FAIL CHARGER etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok there are online twats but there's one turn of phrase that esp the teen use and it used to be the cser but now it's the halo kids and that misuse and over use of the term rape.

" I got raped" is bad enough, seriously it doesn't compare here let me smash your nose of your desk to compare and thats assualt not rape.

"I'm gonna rape you" kids you ain't got the balls fúck off and grow up you mouthy clowntard, and that's even worse when they hadn't been using it until after they figure out that you are female and have pwned them.

I hate lag and I hate fúcking patches, I want to play now thats why I loaded up the game, I dont' want to wait 20 mins to dl a patch and then watch it instal and fail and have to re start it, sorry thats an hour I can spend on better things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I had my first and most enjoyable game of L4D2 last night alongside Retro and Atlas, where there wasn't 1 instance of FAIL/RAGE over all 5 rounds. :)
    We were all pretty bad as humans, but I enjoyed it, had there been 1 of the above mentioned clowns on, the whole game would have been ruined,,,with me typing STFU to them in respone to FAIL BOOMER, FAIL CHARGER etc.

Strange I'm usually the one saying Tank fail or charger fail but it's usually at a pretty humourous failure and never to give out to people. Mostly I say it about my own failures to laugh about it and ease the frustration. I'll never rage quit a game if I'm losing I'll always stay until the end. I'll only quit if people are being assholes. I guess thats why I like L4D so much, it's not taken as seriously as other online games and the boards crowd are always great to play with.

I think I'm just too laid back for competitive gaming. I swear like a trooper when I'm playing Street Fighter but it's always at myself and really it's the only game I take seriously. I usually stop playing a multiplayer game when the community becomes full of assholes, it's the main reason I quit CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I hate lag and I hate fúcking patches, I want to play now thats why I loaded up the game, I dont' want to wait 20 mins to dl a patch and then watch it instal and fail and have to re start it, sorry thats an hour I can spend on better things.
    Thats actually why I still subscribe to Print magazines.

Four Troy police officers, armed with rifles, stormed into an Oakland Mall store today after a man angry that he couldn’t return an Xbox without a receipt threatened to kill someone.

“It was an interesting day here at the GameStop,” said store employee David Roman.

According to Lt. Michael Lyczkowski, the 43-year-old Detroit man went into the store at about 11 a.m. After a store employee wouldn’t allow him to return the Xbox, the man became irate and made threats. A store employee called 911, saying the man went out to get something from his vehicle.

When police arrived, they used a tactic called active shooter response, meaning a team of officers works to stop an immediate threat. Roman said coworkers told him officers put employees and a handful of customers in a back room and threw the man up against a counter, handcuffing him.

The man, whose name is not being released pending the issuance of charges, did not have a firearm. But officers found a stun gun in the man’s handbag, which is illegal in Michigan, Lyczkowski said.

“He said he needed it for protection,” Lyczkowski said.

No one was injured in the incident and the man remains in police custody. Lyczkowski said the man could face charges for possession of a stun gun, a four-year felony, and disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.

Contact KORIE WILKINS : 586-826-7262 or kwilkins@freepress.com

http://www.freep.com/article/20091202/NEWS03/91202059/1318/Armed-cops-subdue-angry-shopper-denied-a-refund-at-Oakland-Mall

a Handbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Overheal wrote: »

a Handbag?

My reaction too once I got there :D

🤪

Even some of the Irish lads, some of which I'm sure/know are on boards, are some of the biggest twats I've ever encountered online......and thats saying something. They go on worse than american 12yr olds who play Halo etc. And these aren't kids, these ppl are men, adults, yet they cry like the whining german kid, and then ruin the game for everyone.

lol... job done :D please say it was me (don't know if I've played you online?)

L4D is a griefers paradise. The whole point of playing as the infected is to cause as much grief and annoyance to the survivors. The more annoyed they are, the more disorganized they are, and the more likely someone is going to rage and either quit, leaving their team in the lurch, or try and go rambo and get to the saferoom alone.

Wasn't till actually playing with some serious griefers from here in L4D that I actually bothered binding phrases to keys. Got to the point that we where so organized in our attacks that whole teams would rage quit at once.

It's part of the fun of it, you cause as much grief to the survivors as possible, then when it's your turn you fully expect to receive it yourself in spades. Also, like retr0, I'll say it about myself or my own team. If I'm the boomer and I horrendously fail, causing my team to get owned because nobody is blind then I'll write "Fail Boomer" to admit it.

If you're letting it get to you then it's working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan, is it marshbaboon you were playing with that is the biggest arsehole ever? He definitely is but playing with him is an experience and he knows he's a twat. He usually changes his name to the most offensive thing he can think of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've broken mice playing QuakeWorld. I've put my knee through the door of my old house after some NFSU. Drivey Drivey's tend to bring out the worst rage in me, but I've dealt with a lot of anger management issues in the last year, so don't get as angry as I used to anymore and Forza 3's rewind feature means I avoid the true rage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I used to play the Tony Hawk's games on the PS2 TO DEATH. My little brother got punched so many times in so many places because I couldn't get a million points or finish a challenge. I had to stop playing them. If only for my little brother's sake.

I just get frustrated and moany now with Modern Warfare 2. I make it everyone else's problem when I die.

Tony Hawk 2 was just the perfect game. Y'know, until everyone figured out the cheat or the glitch or whatever it was that let you do grinds forever and ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I played that one the most. I never knew of such a glitch. I'm kinda glad though. Would've ruined it.

yeah the score table at home devolved into who had the patience to grind around the level the longest without the music playing (because it stops when the timer goes)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SeantheMan, is it marshbaboon you were playing with that is the biggest arsehole ever? He definitely is but playing with him is an experience and he knows he's a twat. He usually changes his name to the most offensive thing he can think of.

No, it was Si/Seye. He used to be ok in L4D, but L4D2 he just acted the cock.

And L31mR0d, I can understand the opposing team being assholes to annoy you etc, thats acceptable.
    But my point is...if your human, and on the same team, and 1 guy runs off, or 1 guy won't let the rest of the team in the saferoom, or 1 guy sets off alarms on purpose, or throws pipebombs/molotovs in the middle of your team. These are the dicks I was mostly referring to

if your human, and on the same team, and 1 guy runs off, or 1 guy won't let the rest of the team in the saferoom, or 1 guy sets off alarms on purpose, or throws pipebombs/molotovs in the middle of your team. These are the dicks I was mostly referring to

L4D makes people do crazy things though. It's like making someone endure constant campers, glitchers and griefers all the time. I know on occasion I've wanted to just leave my team behind and run off. Sometimes I probably do, and then get owned by a jockey waiting to pull me behind a corner.

There are a few people in my friends list that will always grief their own team, but I expect it when they join. L4D is great for that though, in no other game is the term clusterfúck more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

All this talk of L4D is making me remember why I never came back to it (apart from my laptop overheating and shutting down if I run anything more complex than plants vs zombies...)

Some Spanish knob* decided to run ahead of the pack and get himself pinned by a hunter, so me being the kind hearted soul I am I decided to go and help him... He then runs off alone again before the rest have had a chance to catch up, and a couple of seconds later gets covered in boomer bile, which soon ended things for me and him.
    The only words he spoke after that incident were "tman, you ****ing noob"
    Never had an inkling to go back to the game after that:(

*I'm not being racist here, he was both Spanish AND a knob...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

super metroid superior.

all you need to let your brain have a good time is play through them. if you think they were sh1t you are wrong. you are incorrect and unright. they are better then you and your futile efforts at being l33t will be laughed at by me and other right thinking ppl. stop opinions. they are the way of the unright. they are make believe

Advertisement