Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerd Rage

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I used to when i was younger. I think I broke 3, maybe 4 dualshock controllers for the ps2 playing various PES games. Used to go mental when the AI got a late goal to nick a win! Ive grown out of it now though. It just doesnt seem as important anymore. I actually find meself sayin, "**** sake man its just a game" Im turnin into me parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

serious case of rage this evening trying to get the "Challenge of the Gods" trophy in God of War Collection... after about an hour trying to clear challenge 8 I just had to quit. Only to find out that I'll have to do them all again to get back to it.

The challenge is about 10 minutes long and pretty much requires you to constantly roll, slash, roll, slash... ad nauseum, without getting turned to stone by a medusa. Being frozen and attacked just once will instantly kill you. The challenge has also removed all of your magic powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Football manager and CoD have produced some serious nerd rage in me. Broke a PS3 controller over CoD.

Nothing beats this guy though.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

SeantheMan seriously you need to realize the Fail Boomer, Fail Hunter and all that jazz is a joke, if your taking that seriously you indeed do fail!

I know the chaps your on about and none of them take it seriously, its just a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The only major nerdrage i had was when i was alot younger, i was playin tekken 3 in my house against my friend.

I was choosing different players etc, my friend just kept picking Eddie over and over.

If some of you have never played Tekken 3, Eddie is an annoying character to play against, doesnt matter if your a noob or not you can pull off studpid annoying moves by just pressing O and X, hes a button mashing character that pays off.

I wanted to just play the game, a test of skill against one another as its ment to be, but he just kept beating me over and over. Nothing i could do to stop him, he was just laughing his ass off over and over and refused to choose another character, he didnt even need to look at the screen to beat me, just mashed those two buttons and he was flipping all over the screen kickin the crap out of me, even blocking didnt pay off.

So i eventually lost it and kicked him out of the house :eek:

A low moment for me, i over reacted to say the least :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next time play a real fighting game like street fighter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

L4D was a game I'd only play with my mates, its ages ago now since we've played it but I do remember it sucking when playing versus and every now and then encounter people who just wanna be arseholes.

It'd turn a nice fun game into a trolling flamewar fest which ruined the buzz really. Great game though and no I never had any issues with any Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PES has always had the bulk of my rage outs. In particular though this years edition ML on the Top Player difficulty.

It would be fine if it were harder because the computer is really good but wat it does is just let the ball bounce your way or not apply the same fouling rules to you as it does to itself. ! Penalty awarded in 3 seasons of ML so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Azza wrote: »
    SeantheMan seriously you need to realize the Fail Boomer, Fail Hunter and all that jazz is a joke, if your taking that seriously you indeed do fail!

I know the chaps your on about and none of them take it seriously, its just a joke.

No, not the comments, the actions ingame are annoying from these ppl. The not letting your own team in a door etc. And I don't take them or their comments, seriously, its a game to me. They are the ones who HATE having a noob on their team or are unwilling to help someone new to the game learn the ropes

And its funny to the person doing it, or to his friends on the opposition.

However, I know the other 2 ppl who were on my team a few different times, and each felt that these ppl were acting like cocks tbh.

Ive played many games of L4D with yourself and the rest of the lads, there was never an issue. However L4D2 seems to have brought out the worst in people, as they expect that everyone will have played L4D(1) and immediately assume they should know how to play each class

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Azza wrote: »

Indeed. Half the fun for me in LFD is laughing when someone screws up. Myself included & especially Azza, because he's from the country. The other half is laughing when it all goes right. Come to think of it, no game has ever made me laugh as much. As childish as it is, the griefing is hilarious.

Last night a few of us were playing against some French guys and some very naughty person who shall remain nameless sprayed a swaistka nazi spray at the door of the start safe house. When it came to the French guys turn, the nazi "doormat" remained on the ground. They started giving out about racism. Freaking out actually. Another individual, also remaining nameless told them it was one of their teamates that did it. After some accusations and denials in a foreign language they kicked him. I think they were somewhat puzzled to see the same nazi symol again next round. They raged. And raged. Just as well alltalk wasn't on that time.

Childish, offensive but jesus it was hilarious. I actually think psycologically undermining the other team is a pretty good tactic.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The not letting your own team in a door etc. And I don't take them or their comments, seriously, its a game to me.

lol - the door thing. C'mon Sean - that's goddamn funny. Just be thankful you've never had Marsh on your team with a chainsaw & grenade launcher! Versus Expert Difficulty Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

No, it was Si/Seye. He used to be ok in L4D, but L4D2 he just acted the cock.

And L31mR0d, I can understand the opposing team being assholes to annoy you etc, thats acceptable.
    But my point is...if your human, and on the same team, and 1 guy runs off, or 1 guy won't let the rest of the team in the saferoom, or 1 guy sets off alarms on purpose, or throws pipebombs/molotovs in the middle of your team. These are the dicks I was mostly referring to

Given you had played l4d with us I figured you'd be used to it, because it was just as bad for abuse and griefing as l4d2. Ever play with Marshbaboon?

It's just a shame I didn't record that incident where I locked you, Neptune and someone else out of the saferoom until you were all incapped, it would have been hilarious to show now. The saferoom door open/close spam is a fairly common thing in boards.ie games. And you all did gang up and teamkill me in the next round to even it out (rightly so).[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The not letting your own team in a door etc.

lol... I love that bit. Usually over the comms someone will say "...and now for the final challenge, to see if we can get into the saferoom." The trick is to get to the saferoom first and see how long you can keep people outside. It's all part of making the game fun, like when someones incapped and just repeatedly pressing E to get them up so that they just flail about like they are having a seizure.

Let's be honest, L4D is fairly linear. It's the human element, that makes it something special. I actually find people who take the game way too seriously a lot more annoying than the ones that are relaxed and goofing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Mine would probably be the time I played FF7 through for the first time and tried to beat Ruby Weopon. Didnt realise you had to go in with dead party members and just kept getting decimated:mad:.

I was a very very angry boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Next time play a real fighting game like street fighter :P

haha cut me some slack jack, tekken 3 was the best beat em up on PS1 IMO.

The street fighters on that platform just didnt cut it :(

ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    Mine would probably be the time I played FF7 through for the first time and tried to beat Ruby Weopon. Didnt realise you had to go in with dead party members and just kept getting decimated:mad:.

I was a very very angry boy.

You dont have to, i defeated ruby with just Cloud when i did it :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Street Fighter Alpha 3? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nix wrote: »
    So i eventually lost it and kicked him out of the house :eek:
    This reminds me of a nerd rage that a friend had a few years back. We were playing a lot om Championship Manager 97/98 (best version ever btw). He was Arsenal and i was Spurs. Think this was our 3rd year into the game, so i had a pretty damn good squad. From day 1, he managed to stay 1 or 2 points ahead of me, and i just couldnt seem to catch him.

On the last day of the season, he was playing West Ham, and i was playing Chelsea. I managed to beat Chelsea 2-1 with a winner in the 82nd minute. He then had to play West Ham, and in the 75th minute, his dad walked into the room, told him he had to run down to the shop, West Ham scored to make them go 1-0 up, and he lost it. Shouted at his dad to get out, who did so. Then West Ham got a 2nd in the 90th minute. He lifted the chair he had been sitting on over his head, and waved it around while shouting, and then left his house, with us still there, and went on a hour long walk. Came back later and said he didnt want to talk about it.

Ahh i laughed for a good while after that. That game did strange things to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ickle_pwincess

I'm usually just a bit vocal when a game annoys me but have never broken anything over a game with one exception. I bit the top off the stylus when I failed for the 100th time on Ready! Steady! Go! on the hardest level in Ouendan. Watching that stupid unskippable intro was doing my nut it.

There's only one other time when I turned into a stark raving mad man because of a game. There's a bit in Ninja Gaiden where you go into these catacombs filled with zombies. On the way back up there's a large open part with a set of platforms spiralling up to the top. There's 3 skeleton archers on these platforms. Anyway I was out of arrows so couldn't shoot them so had to get close to take them out. However if you took one hit from their arrows you fell off the platforms. To make matters worse even if you killed one of the archers when you fell off they respawned. Anyway this one stupid section took me over an hour to do and I was hoarse from screaming at the screen. Thank god nobody was home.

Yeah thank god nobody had to see that. Ive seen how bad you get... like that time you went mad at me....... playing something as simple as doubles tennis on the wii.... =(

I was drunk and you were shit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ickle_pwincess

I was drunk and you were shit.

NNYYEEEAAAAARRRRHHHHHHH!!!!!

frink.gif

You were MEAN!!!!
    I had never played it before ='/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Talking behind my back retro? IS IT?!?!?!? IS IT!!!!!?!?!??!?!???!??!??!?!

I have to agree the nerd rage in L4D 2 is hilarious. Nurture it through selective name usage, sprays, and thoroughly abusing both teams it will blossom, and explode, like a wino with a case of severe dihharea all over your rose bushes.

It's just a game, and a bit of fun. If you can't handle a bit of friendly griefing I suggest you find a new game.... maybe farmville?

Oh yea, and my pc monitor melted.. so no more rage for a while :(

You and your benny hill music will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

MW 2 has a way of sometimes getting under my skin, especially when really unfair happens like spawn killing with the chopper gunner.:rolleyes:

I remember I actually joined a game in the middle of an enemy chopper gunner rampage on wasteland. Ended up 0 kills 6 deaths in about 30 seconds.

I was not a happy camper!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have lost a few controllers due to slamming them off the ground/against a wall but not in the last 10 years :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

punched my monitor once when I a long putt for the championship hung on the lip of the cup in the first PGA Golf 1... long time ago but it still sticks with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Mr. K wrote: »
    Do you suffer from it?

Yes. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Haha, just remembered another one.

DMC3 (original version), fighting Virgil (the arrogant twat).
    First time I get decimated.
    Second time I get him to 25% before dying.
    Third time, I just BARELY beat him.
    "Great", I think.
    And then my PS2 blackscreens. And blackscreens. And blackscreens.
    "Well, sh*t", I think, restart, and redo the battle.
    And it freezes after me beating him again. Because my 2nd-hand disc had a scratch JUST THERE so it couldn't load the cutscene after the battle.

F-word count: 30+.

Advertisement