Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Mullingar

Options
  • 01-12-2009 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

Can anyone recomend broadband providers in the Mullingar area or are they few and far between...

Jen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kodger

you could try bounce broadband...they have a website..and planet21..these are both located in mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

I am in Mullingar and use UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Whats the package like with UTV. I have BT and have to switch to Vodafone in January and by all accounts they are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Depending on where you are but UPC/NTL is up and running in Mullingar now. Using the 3MB at the min.

Waiting for UPC to come back to me on availability. Couldnt get them before so I'm not too hopeful although they are available in the apartments behind the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Depending on where you are but UPC/NTL is up and running in Mullingar now. Using the 3MB at the min.

Where are they running already? I'm tired waiting for it to arrive. Want to dump Sky/Eircom. Just did a check there now and it says still not available in any of Mullingar?

upcd.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kopfan09

UPC have broadband up and running in mullingar as I switched from sky and eircom over a month ago and have to say no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I'm with digi web. Speed test give me 5.12 mb/s upload and .33 mb/s download. Costs a tenner a week for the 7-8 mb/s deal. In Petitswood area.

I got a phone call from UPC last week and it will be some time before they can offer me Broadband. The estate isnt cabled for it so it will probably never happen. :mad:

I called them on Wednesday again and was told that it is definitely not available in Mullingar???

I told the girl I spoke to that their website already showed me I could only receive TV and not broadband but other people in Mullingar have had it installed!!!

Her reply.....

"Ah, I dunno, are ya sure they are not just pulling your leg?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Ha thats gas, what a reponse!!

I know when I checked the website it said broadband was not available but when I contacted them I was told it was available. She wanted to charge me 30 euro for a connection and said if i booked it online it would be free connection, eventually got her to waiver the cost because i couldn't book online.

By the way i'm in petitswood manor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭coillcam

Chorus/NTL/UPC is available with savage speeds in selected areas of Mullingar at the minute. A mate of mine in Market Point has a 15mb connection and TV bundled for less than €60 per month. It's a pity it's not available in more places yet as despite UPC's awful CS. Once you are connected the product delivers. I was with them in Galway for a year and would recommend them.

As for "standard" broadband I'd personally advocate eircom. Especially over imagine/vodafone/perlico etc. I work in IT and they have been the only company that has provided a relatively hassle free end product at the QUOTED speed for any customer I have dealt with.

I'm down Millmount Rd and still waiting :(
    My Eircom 7 meg has become HALF a meg tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on UPC... Hurry up!
    710396669.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I just checked the UPC website and it says Broadband is now available in Mullingar, I'm looking into the 30mbs bundle, anybody getting this in Mullingar, what the download/upload speeds like and what are the pings like.

Same here. Spotted it today and thinking of going for the 30 Meg also. Anybody using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I use vodafone mobile bb downl. 2.6mb/s upl. .28mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kieranr

Does this mean that all areas that previously had TV only now have broadband and phone available to them as well?

We're moving to Mullingar in the next few weeks and this would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kieranr

Ah balls!

Doesn't apply to me as our next address in Beech Drive / Lawns isn't cabled at all yet. I guess its DSL for us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Wish we could get a list of what areas are cabled for UPC braodband in Mullingar, i hate DSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Anyone know if the area including the Garda station, Cathedral, Mizzoni's, Rochfort's, Old Stand, etc. has UPC available?

• Advertisement

Did anyone know that eircom have another exchange in Lakepoint Park. Does this exchange only serve the Business Park and how do you find out which exchange you're connected to?

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/news-article.asp?id=368

kieranr wrote: »
    Does this mean that all areas that previously had TV only now have broadband and phone available to them as well?

We're moving to Mullingar in the next few weeks and this would be ideal.
    kieranr wrote: »
    Ah balls!

Doesn't apply to me as our next address in Beech Drive / Lawns isn't cabled at all yet. I guess its DSL for us :(
    lmimmfn wrote: »
    Wish we could get a list of what areas are cabled for UPC braodband in Mullingar, i hate DSL

Call the sales team on 1908 and get them to email you. I sent a list of places from daft I was looking at moving into and I got a mail back fairly quickly with the following. This is now outdated as I am living in Lakepoint now and getting set up today for 15mb:

Ushnagh Court - Yes
    Old Longford Rd - No
    Harbour Court - No
    Bishopgate St - No
    Ashefield - Yes
    Sherwood Park - Yes
    College Vale - Yes
    Lakepoint - No - It now has got set up since.
    College Hill - No
    Ardilaun green/heights - No
    Green Park - No

kaltz wrote: »
    Did anyone know that eircom have another exchange in Lakepoint Park. Does this exchange only serve the Business Park and how do you find out which exchange you're connected to?

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/news-article.asp?id=368

My cousin was set up with eircom from about 6 months ago in the drive, lakepoint. Just call eircom on 1901 they are pretty forthcoming with information.

I'll probably post back tonight or tomorrow and see what the ntl 15mb line is like for gaming and general browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

coillcam wrote: »
    Call the sales team on 1908 and get them to email you. I sent a list of places from daft I was looking at moving into and I got a mail back fairly quickly with the following. This is now outdated as I am living in Lakepoint now and getting set up today for 15mb:

Ushnagh Court - Yes
    Old Longford Rd - No
    Harbour Court - No
    Bishopgate St - No
    Ashefield - Yes
    Sherwood Park - Yes
    College Vale - Yes
    Lakepoint - No - It now has got set up since.
    College Hill - No
    Ardilaun green/heights - No
    Green Park - No
    Ahh nice one cheers, i think theyre in Green Park now, im in Ardilaun green, which known my luck will never get it lol, ill ring them.

Only getting round to posting now.

I wasn't there to oversee the installation or query the tech guy.

So far I have been able to use xbox live for a variety of games with next to no lag/glitches. Even simultaneously torrenting(not recommended when gaming) + somebody else browsing. Tweaking the router is not as user friendly as the eircom ones imo but still grand as most people won't need to go near it. Noticed as well that a few more people in my estate have got NTL.

I would highly recommend NTL based on my experience so far, the TV service is decent too. Not a massive number of channels but it has got Setanta Ireland for free. At the moment Sky sports + ESPN are free for 2 months when you sign up.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I'm down Millmount Rd and still waiting :(
    My Eircom 7 meg has become HALF a meg tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on UPC... Hurry up!
    710396669.png

Well boy am I glad I waited!
    Got UPC just over a week ago
    This is my best speedtest so far
    766528088.png

Overall, I am averaging about 16Meg according to tests at day and night and have noticed that in last few days it is improving.

Also, when the guys were here installing, they told me that there will be a dig from the node to the M4 (about half a mile) taking place around May or June, so it will be fibre the whole way to the node at that point, giving even better speeds.

The TV is definitely not as good as Sky. Having said that, I have tons of channels and I'm very happy with it. The DVR and menu is just not as advanced as Skys system, but things can only get better I suppose :D

To sum up, I have moved from a 7 Meg line with Eircom which had become a joke (see above) and from Sky with the FULL package including multiroom, to a 30 Meg line with UPC, full tv pack plus multiroom and Anytime World telephone (includes free local, national and international landline calls to 21 destinations at all times!) and I am paying approx €60 LESS per month!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

New Online checker on the UPC site, you can now input your house number in the first box, and the first line of your street address in the second box and it will tell you whats available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Well boy am I glad I waited!
    Got UPC just over a week ago
    This is my best speedtest so far
    766528088.png

Overall, I am averaging about 16Meg according to tests at day and night and have noticed that in last few days it is improving.

Also, when the guys were here installing, they told me that there will be a dig from the node to the M4 (about half a mile) taking place around May or June, so it will be fibre the whole way to the node at that point, giving even better speeds.

The TV is definitely not as good as Sky. Having said that, I have tons of channels and I'm very happy with it. The DVR and menu is just not as advanced as Skys system, but things can only get better I suppose :D

To sum up, I have moved from a 7 Meg line with Eircom which had become a joke (see above) and from Sky with the FULL package including multiroom, to a 30 Meg line with UPC, full tv pack plus multiroom and Anytime World telephone (includes free local, national and international landline calls to 21 destinations at all times!) and I am paying approx €60 LESS per month!!! ;)

Holy Diver! That's some serious speeds there. I was asking UPC about installing a while back but it wasn't available in my area, however that are is near enough to where you are so I might try again. Just out of curiosity how much are you paying for the whole package, and is it a HD setup?

Cheers.

820852652.png

That's what I'm getting with Vodafone, and it's bobbins.

The TV Channel list was also updated this week on Tuesday so there is now a much greater choice of TV available.

Yep. They added extra channels on Tuesday also
    I'm subscribed to HD setup, but as its not available here *yet*, I don't have it. The price per month for all the above is €110p/m

Seem to have changed packages. Closest I see now is this one
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/new_customers/fibrewebsupersizehd/

Best speed test to date has been
    815885010.png

Speed test just now.....
    820965339.png

• Advertisement

And Finally HD Now Enabled in Mullingar on the cable network! Use the online checker to see which areas can avail of all services. Still some blackspots however alas!

Advertisement